Cleaning & Setup questions about my new Ultralight

mvmnts

WKR
My new knight ultralight was delivered today. I've never laid hands on a muzzleloader before today, and I don't know anyone who shoots an inline, so I have some painfully simple beginner questions. I tried calling Knight and it's after business hours and their mailbox is full (no surprise there). During the sales process I called and left a message asking for a follow up call and they never bothered to call me back. Despite this I still gave them my business. So here I am. Questions are bolded for people who don't want to read all this crap.

1. First of all. Anything special to know about cleaning the gun? It's the nitride model. Seems like I just strip out the breech plug, and clean all the oil and grease out of the barrel, off the breech plug, and the bolt. Then re-grease the breech plug threads and reassemble? Is there anywhere that I need to oil on the bolt or gun itself?

1. I installed the bolt and I was expecting it to feel mostly like a center fire rifle (my tikka ctr is buttery) and initially thought I had installed it incorrectly. Is it normal for there to be a fair bit of resistance when working the bolt? Especially after the trigger is pulled and hammer is dropped, it takes a lot of force to work the bolt up and back. And there is a lot of chunky clicking noises along the way. When moving the bolt back down, it makes a chirping/squeaking sound like it should be oiled, but the manual makes no mention of where or how to oil the bolt. It just seems to be in a rough state for a top of the line product.

3. While I'm on the subject, will it damage the gun to dry fire it? It is so difficult to find information about "muzzleloaders" because there are so many different kinds, and adding "knight" or "inline" to my searches doesn't filter out information about other types.

4. Do I need a special solvent if I'm using Blackhorn 209? I was recommended the solvent and did order some but it's backordered, and wondering if I can just use whatever it is I found at my local shop in the meantime. September is briskly approaching and I want to get up to speed on this thing ASAP.

My new knight ultralight was delivered today. I've never laid hands on a muzzleloader before today, and I don't know anyone who shoots an inline, so I have some painfully simple beginner questions. I tried calling Knight and it's after business hours and their mailbox is full (no surprise there). During the sales process I called and left a message asking for a follow up call and they never bothered to call me back. Despite this I still gave them my business. So here I am. Questions are bolded for people who don't want to read all this crap.

1. First of all. Anything special to know about cleaning the gun? It's the nitride model. Seems like I just strip out the breech plug, and clean all the oil and grease out of the barrel, off the breech plug, and the bolt. Then re-grease the breech plug threads and reassemble? Is there anywhere that I need to oil on the bolt or gun itself?

This is the very simple method that I use to clean my ULites..

Bore-Cleaning.jpg

1. I installed the bolt and I was expecting it to feel mostly like a center fire rifle (my tikka ctr is buttery) and initially thought I had installed it incorrectly. Is it normal for there to be a fair bit of resistance when working the bolt? Especially after the trigger is pulled and hammer is dropped, it takes a lot of force to work the bolt up and back. And there is a lot of chunky clicking noises along the way. When moving the bolt back down, it makes a chirping/squeaking sound like it should be oiled, but the manual makes no mention of where or how to oil the bolt. It just seems to be in a rough state for a top of the line product.

Yes there is a resistance when lifting the bolt after the hammer has been dropped. Usually much more than a Tikka as the lifting the bolt also is cocking the rifle. If you feel it is to much - I would still contact Knight. It seems to me there were some sticky or steep ramps with a few bolts.

3. While I'm on the subject, will it damage the gun to dry fire it? It is so difficult to find information about "muzzleloaders" because there are so many different kinds, and adding "knight" or "inline" to my searches doesn't filter out information about other types.

No, turn the secondary safety in a few turns so the safety stops the hammer before it contacts the end of the bolt internally.

4. Do I need a special solvent if I'm using Blackhorn 209? I was recommended the solvent and did order some but it's backordered, and wondering if I can just use whatever it is I found at my local shop in the meantime. September is briskly approaching and I want to get up to speed on this thing ASAP.

Think I mentioned what I was using in the first pic.

Hope some of this helps...

DavePwns

WKR

This is the very simple method that I use to clean my ULites..

Bore-Cleaning.jpg

Yes there is a resistance when lifting the bolt after the hammer has been dropped. Usually much more than a Tikka as the lifting the bolt also is cocking the rifle. If you feel it is to much - I would still contact Knight. It seems to me there were some sticky or steep ramps with a few bolts.

No, turn the secondary safety in a few turns so the safety stops the hammer before it contacts the end of the bolt internally.

Think I mentioned what I was using in the first pic.

Hope some of this helps...
This is helpful, do you do anything to keep the nipple clean or oil the bolt?

O yes that is a whole different cleaning routine. And do not for get the trigger it needs to be clean periodically also, as well as the hammer assembly in the bolt.

I have a bunch of 'Help' pics on that but have not got them arranged to be usable yet...

DavePwns

WKR
O yes that is a whole different cleaning routine. And do not for get the trigger it needs to be clean periodically also, as well as the hammer assembly in the bolt.

I have a bunch of 'Help' pics on that but have not got them arranged to be usable yet...
Good to know, I just got my ultralight as my first ML and want it to be my last! I have the manual and have read it but I want to know with users experience the best ways they have found to maintain them.

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
PM me an email and I will send you a big batch of pf pics.

Any chance that offer is open to others? I just placed an order for an ultralite as well along with a cleaning kit and some pre sat patches from knight. Have no clue what I'm doing so I'm soaking in alot of your posts.

@sabotloader , thank you for the detailed pictures on how you clean your muzzleloader - very helpful! I am looking for some guidance on cleaning/oiling/lubing the nipple, breech plug, bolt and trigger on my new Knight .50 cal Ultra Lite w/ nitride finish. I am looking for specific product recommendations and well as procedure recommendations. Can you offer some help on this? Thanks in advance!