Cleaning....when is enough, enough?

New rifle and trying to take extra good care of my stuff these days. When cleaning, I can run my bore cleaner through, brush, patches (maybe 15-20) and a patch will come out clean. Then copper solvent through, brush, patches dirty as all heck, then eventually spotless patch. Then if I run bore cleaned again, dirty, clean eventually.... even if I repeat this 3 or 4 times and think ok, this patch is totally clean and I’m done..... when I run the oil through, the patch with the oil will show some black, so what gives?

Am I doing something wrong? Or do I just need to keep on going?

Vandy321

WKR
Frank Galli has a long part on cleaning on an old podcast. BL...cleaning is overrated and can also erode your barrel.

His rec, and I take his word for it...3-4 passes with a nylon brush with bore cleaner/solvent, dry patches until they come out dry, maybe one swipe with gun oil if I'm storing it after hunting season.

Cleaning the barrel is NOT good for the rifle! There's not a single thing to be gained from it unless you end up with a carbon ring or are shooting extremely soft solid copper bullets.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
T
Cleaning the barrel is NOT good for the rifle! There's not a single thing to be gained from it unless you end up with a carbon ring or are shooting extremely soft solid copper bullets.

So do you suggest only cleaning every X amount of shots or what?
How long is it ok to store after a shooting session without cleaning, etc?

I've got rifles well over 1k rounds and no cleaning, with absolutely no change in accuracy.
To add to my last post, if the rifle gets wet or foreign material in the barrel, then that should be cleaned out.
It can be left without cleaning forever. Carbon and copper aren't going to hurt the steel.

Vandy321

WKR
I've got rifles well over 1k rounds and no cleaning, with absolutely no change in accuracy.
To add to my last post, if the rifle gets wet or foreign material in the barrel, then that should be cleaned out.
It can be left without cleaning forever. Carbon and copper aren't going to hurt the steel.

Only think I'd add...and by no means an expert, but if you live in a high humid area and don't have a climate controlled safe, at a minimum through some gun oil on a patch before you store it for a long time, prevents rust.

I agree with above also. More damage is done to a barrel by over cleaning and improper cleaning. Use a good cleaner and a bore guide always. I prefer Bore Tech products.
Shoot until accuracy starts to fall off. Some cartridges/powders can be dirty and create a carbon ring that must be cleaned frequently though.

I don't clean if the rifle is shooting well.
If it's obviously dirty, dropped in dirt/mud etc., I will clean OR when accuracy drops off.

OP
T

So when you DO clean.... how extensively do you do that? And what is your experience for the accuracy post cleaning after that long amount of time?

How about the bolt/chamber, anything at all to that?

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t let anyone else’s opinion dictate how often you clean your rifle - whether it’s very often or almost never. It’s yours, and just like barrels, each one is different. If you’re not having issues with carbon rings and you’re not seeing a decrease in accuracy after hundreds of rounds you’re probably fine just leaving it be. On the other hand, if you want to keep your barrel clean it’s probably best to avoid harsh solvents, but clean it as often as you want. If you clean it frequently just be sure to use a good bore guide and avoid excessive scrubbing. If it’s a quality barrel and you’re careful with what you clean it with you won’t have any problems.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Hanks for the reminder, it’s been a year since I’ve cleaned a gun, I should clean one tonight.

OP
T
Don’t let anyone else’s opinion dictate how often you clean your rifle - whether it’s very often or almost never. It’s yours, and just like barrels, each one is different. If you’re not having issues with carbon rings and you’re not seeing a decrease in accuracy after hundreds of rounds you’re probably fine just leaving it be. On the other hand, if you want to keep your barrel clean it’s probably best to avoid harsh solvents, but clean it as often as you want. If you clean it frequently just be sure to use a good bore guide and avoid excessive scrubbing. If it’s a quality barrel and you’re careful with what you clean it with you won’t have any problems.

With a nylon brush and any solvents what are you going to do to the steel? What does a “harsh” solvent do?

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
With a nylon brush and any solvents what are you going to do to the steel? What does a “harsh” solvent do?
Some solvents, particularly ammonia based copper solvents like Sweets 7.62, can etch into the barrel if left in for too long. Others like Bore Tech products are much gentler water based cleaners and can be left in overnight to dissolve carbon or copper and won't hurt a barrel one bit. Bore Tech C4 is my go-to for dealing with carbon rings, and their Eliminator is my favorite general purpose cleaner. Sweets is great if you have a copper fouling problem and need something strong to get it out. You just need to pay attention to the instructions and be sure to remove it ALL and follow it up with a gun oil or something to neutralize any that might be left. I use Sweets, but typically only when I really need to, or when I'm breaking in a barrel.

Generally speaking, a nylon brush isn't going to do a thing to a stainless steel barrel. That being said, if your idea of cleaning is 50 aggressive strokes up and down the barrel after every 40 shots fired, you're opening yourself up for some of the over-cleaning problems the guys mentioned above. Realistically speaking, if you do a good clean every hundred rounds or whatever *using a bore guide* and you don't go crazy, you will shoot out your barrel long before you do any damage by cleaning.

I typically clean my hunting rifles around every 80 to 100 shots. I soak and push patches to sop up any loose fouling and start to break up the gunk, followed by 10-12 strokes up and down with a nylon brush soaked in Eliminator. Then reapply a few patches of cleaner and let it sit for five minutes. Dry patch it out until they come out clean and check it with a bore snake to make sure nothing crazy is going on. 10 minute job. At the end of the hunting season I clean it more thoroughly down to metal and oil it with Kroil if I won't be shooting it for a month or longer.

*Edit - Make sure to get a quality coated cleaning rod like a Bore Tech or Dewey. They have a rotating handle that allows the brush to spin with the rifling. Very important.