Clicker Training

Vandy321

WKR
Who's used it. Opinions on it? Beneficial for obedience? does it have a place in anything past that for a bird dog?

How did you incorporate it? I've only seen one book on it...don't shoot the dog, I believe it was called. Any others?

Do I understand it correctly the clicker is a tool to develop Pavlovs dog type reaction to a command...used with food as a reward. Slowly verbal commands, hand signals and/or whistles are added in and clicker use is paired back eventually to nothing?

Just started puppy training. Will use the armbruster and DD puppy manual for field work, retrieve, tracking, etc. But clicker training caught by my eye for basic obedience. I've never had an extremely well behaved pup and I'd like to set this one up for success.

Last edited:

Austink47

WKR
I highly recommend clicker training. It is like being able to put a treat in your dogs mouth the second it does what you want, even if what you want your dog to do is lay down on it’s bed across the room from you.

And one more pulse for standing stone.

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
I highly recommend clicker training. It is like being able to put a treat in your dogs mouth the second it does what you want, even if what you want your dog to do is lay down on it’s bed across the room from you.

And one more pulse for standing stone.

Do they eventually transition off the clicker and take verbal commands with the same enthusiasm/obedience?

Ucsdryder

WKR
I did it based off of standing stone kennel YouTube videos. Kind of gave up on it after a while. I honestly didn’t see the benefit but those guys are way more talented at training dogs and I’ll ever be.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Do they eventually transition off the clicker and take verbal commands with the same enthusiasm/obedience?
Mine took commands when I put the collar on her and she realized her bullshit wasn’t going to fly anymore! Just make sure your pup doesn’t get collar smart.

jmez

WKR
Repetition, consistency, don't give a command you are not in a position to enforce. It's not hard.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Reactions: pk_

Austink47

WKR
The way we use it is click=reward. It is just a marker for desired behavior. Commands are still verbal, hand, whatever you are training.

I liked clicker training for obedience in the house and it made them work for their meals. Translated pretty easy into the yard/field as a young pup.

My pups are typically the best 'listening' pups at trainings with or without collars. I think the best thing to remember is to incorporate positive reinforcement throughout the training and use plenty of praise.

As you transition to the collar, punishment for not listening to command, don't forget the reward for listening isn't just not getting corrected. You need to be positive with a 'good boy' and a treat every once in a while.

Last edited:

JShane

FNG
Late to the party on this one. "absolutely Positively Gundog training" by Robert Milner of Duckhill Kennels. Clicker training gundog program that he developed

pk_

WKR
So I used to make fun of the clicker training honestly.

But I Just got my first ‘working dog’ and have been struggling with him for a week, this dude has a mind of his own, wasn’t really food driven and didn’t really care about ‘praise’.

I used the clicker for the first time today and in 3 short sessions it is like a completely different dog. Used some chicken as treats to introduce the clicker and start the training. I do not plan on using the clicker indefinitely. It is just to initially communicate the desired reaction to a given command.

I highly recommend researching it and giving it a try.

During the first year I used the clicker alot for the basic commands. I found that once you "charge" the clicker, meaning click-treat 10 times in a row, I was able to mark the correct action instantly. I felt like it helped me progress much faster.