Climbing Sticks

pk_

WKR
I used LW for like a decade. I loved them but moving parts get worn out and you need to stay on top of keeping everything tightened down thru the season. I had upgraded the hardware and washers and it was still a problem.

Just got the beast sticks last season. At first I wasn’t sure about them, but now I would never want to have to go back. The quality is just way better.

Also had the muddy pro sticks. Too heavy, too long, the double steps would get hung up on everything. I gave them away.

VTJ

FNG
I find no need to change what I use now, and that is 4 LW sticks that have been rope modified and stealth stripped .... I stack them in twos and they lay flat on either side of the upright and seat, lashed down with a small ratchet strap ....

Attachments

• 20171010_123711.jpg
    20171010_123711.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 53
I’ve always used the LW they are not fancy but reliable I almost got the XOP because I like the way they attach to each other for packing but my buddy got a set this year and was trying out in his yard and first try one of the steps failed, luckily it was the the first stick not far off the ground, he’s a small guy to maybe 170 lbs. I looked it up and it’s not uncommon there’s several threads about it. They replaced it very fast but I don’t think I could trust it after that. Beast sticks look awesome just short I think I’d need 5 to replace 4 lone wolfs, lone wolf custom gear look sweet too but way to spendy, I’ll stick with my plain Jane lone wolfs for now

Macintosh

WKR
Bumping this thread for updated feedback. Looking for a light weight set of 4 mini sticks. Not interested in even considering any stick weighing more than 1.75lb per stick, nor am I interested in sticks that wont stack evenly (i.e no offset stack like lone wolf/novix, xop, etc). I’m considering beast minis as well as timber ninja both carbon and aluminum. Any others that fit these criteria I should check out?
Especially looking for feedback from anyone who has actually used BOTH of these sticks, or anyone who can comment first-hand on real-world durability of the newer timber ninja sticks.
Thanks in advance.

LWPost

FNG
Lone wolf. really like the length. Kind of annoying that you need to buy an extra single, but 4 sticks will get you plenty high.

KMW

FNG
Out on a Limb Mfg Shikar sticks....the fxd version will stack evenly like you want. I personally have the original version and sometimes carry them folded down and other times set up and side-stacked. Somewhere around 25 oz a piece.

Dwight2180

Lil-Rokslider
The number of sticks that have hit the market or been upgraded since this post was started (18 months ago) is astounding. Be a cool kid and only carry 1 stick and rappel down 😉 whatever stick you go with, add an aider, more height for less weight.

wesfromky

WKR
Out on a Limb Mfg Shikar sticks....the fxd version will stack evenly like you want. I personally have the original version and sometimes carry them folded down and other times set up and side-stacked. Somewhere around 25 oz a piece.
I use three 17" Shikar's with a three step aider and can get my platform to 20' without trying to hard. Weight is pretty low. Aiders take a little bit of pratice, but once you get it down, it is fine. I find that keeping my toe in contact with the tree really helps. I also usually rap down as well, as downclimbing in the dark takes a bit more focus.

The Tethrd sticks look pretty cool as well, but stock has been limited.

Best advice is to find a way to attach them without using the cam buckles. I use the Shikar mini flats, and have been super happy with them.

Millwood21

Lil-Rokslider
The beast sticks are hard to beat.
I’m running two full length sticks with a 3 step movable aider and I can get 18’ to my platform pretty easy. Dropping from 4 sticks to two cuts a good chunk of weight.

Macintosh

WKR
I have a single-stick setup already. It is nice and light, but I think the regular sticks are just quieter and require less jerky movement, so looking for a really light set. And yes, I will use an aider with the mini sticks. And yes again, I already have a set of LW sticks, but I'm specifically looking for a set of 2-step sticks that stack without an offset for shorter packing length.
Thanks for the shikar suggestion, they are on the heavy side of what I'm looking for but will check them out along with the tethrd ones.

Would still love to hear some firsthand experiences especially around durability of the tethrd or timber ninja sticks, as those are both considerably lighter than any of the others.

Last edited:

npro04

Lil-Rokslider
I use a 3 pack of the full size helium’s cut down to 22” and then have an amsteel single step aider on each stick. Use amsteel daisy chain to secure. I’m very happy with them. Pack fairly light and tight and with the aiders I can get plenty high to hang out of my phantom.

OctoberGold

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been using a modified set of 4 lone wolf full size sticks. I cut them down to 23” with 2 steps, plus an aider on the bottom. Step distance is just a hair over 21” but even my short 30” inseam doesn’t have a problem. With amsteel daisy chains they are coming in at about 7.2lbs for 4 with the aider. They also stack just like the regular sticks. A bit of work cutting and drilling, but I think it was worth it. 52B8B9BD-2DE8-4B89-9B79-460408258855.jpegD298C622-25BF-4527-8859-B5ADC426365D.jpeg

Macintosh

WKR
Octobergold, I did the same thing for my single-stick, cut down a lone wolf. Curious on your aiders, did you just loop the sling through the bolt inside the tubing? Is that a sewn sling or were you able to stuff the knot inside the tube?

BTW, I ordered a set of 4 of the timber ninja carbon sticks with aiders after talking to one of the guys there. Breathtakingly $$, but they seem to be the only game in town at that weight that stacks vertically. In theory should be here just before our opener.

Btaylor

WKR
If you want to get really light, go 1 stick and rap or lose the stick and use the 2TC system. With the both of these systems, you would want to use a rock climbing harness rather than a traditional treestand harness. If you are going to consider using these ultra light systems to climb, take to the time to learn proper rope management and practice starting at ground level. Understand the difference between a fall restraint system and a fall arrest system. Dont want anyone to be a yard dart.

OctoberGold

Lil-Rokslider
Octobergold, I did the same thing for my single-stick, cut down a lone wolf. Curious on your aiders, did you just loop the sling through the bolt inside the tubing? Is that a sewn sling or were you able to stuff the knot inside the tube?

BTW, I ordered a set of 4 of the timber ninja carbon sticks with aiders after talking to one of the guys there. Breathtakingly $$, but they seem to be the only game in town at that weight that stacks vertically. In theory should be here just before our opener.
The aider is 1” mil spec tubular webbing with a piece of 11mm static rope to help keep the loop open. I tried to cram the knot in there, but there wasn’t a snowballs chance. Ended up having to sew the loop closed and even that was a bit tough to get in. It’s held in by the step bolt.

Macintosh

WKR
nice, that's slick. The lone wolf stick I cut down to be a single-stick I chopped to about 14", and replaced the bottom step with a homemade aluminum double-step. I sewed on a double-step aider through holes on the outside end of each side of that step, but I like they way you did that. When I finally get sick of my full length LW sticks I will likely chop em and copy you!

Try one sticking. Even if you do not use a saddle, you can do it with a rock climbing harness as your safety harness. Save yourself 3+ sticks and 6+ lbs.