Climbing sticks

Looking to pick up a new pair of climbing sticks this year. I will hang stand early. Then carry sticks in and out everytime.

I think I am set on hawkheliums but can’t decide on the new 20 inch stocks or go with the longer ones.

what do you guys think?

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
If its private land and you can puncture the tree id much rather have a tree hopper drill and 6" grade 8 bolts. I've been using them and they are fantastic. If I had to use sticks I'd go with new 20" lone wolf customs. The packability and profile of those sticks are hard to beat.

N2TRKYS

WKR
If its private land and you can puncture the tree id much rather have a tree hopper drill and 6" grade 8 bolts. I've been using them and they are fantastic. If I had to use sticks I'd go with new 20" lone wolf customs. The packability and profile of those sticks are hard to beat.

I’d much rather use screw in steps over the drill and bolt method. Much more quite, quicker, and lighter.

I’ve had good luck with the regular Lone Wolf sticks.

*zap*

WKR
I need info on a set of light/good quality sticks......so I will be following along here.

The Cranford rope steps are pretty good for set up and take down each time if you can get used to them. I like them but lots of folks do not. Light and no bulk for transport. I use a Q-safe strap above as I set so I can set further apart and use the strap with a biner on it to pull myself right up onto the last step I set.

I just received the Hawk Helium 20 in sticks and I think they'll work great. Bought some tubular webbing and made a 1 step aider. I think I'll be able to get as high as I want with them.

I have the regular Hawk Helium sticks as well. They're great but they stick out of the top of my pack a good bit and snagged on low limbs easily. Not a huge deal but I prefer to be streamlined in every aspect of my hunt. I think the 20 inch sticks will work out better attaching to my saddle while climbing.

bootheeltechy

Lil-Rokslider
Bought a set of the full length hawks last season when Midway ran a sale. Replaced the buckles and whent with the rope mod with prussik and tender. For the 100 bucks I gave for the sticks and 30 dollar or so rope and prussicks they're unbeatable IMO. I never had any kickouts while climbing, including several sets using my top stick as a platform (saddle hunting). Like posted above, the longs can hang on brush if they are allowed to stick out above a pack. My simple remedy for that was just allowing them to hang below the pack bottom and dont remember having any real issues afterwards. While the beast sticks and OOAL shikar sticks look nice, I just dont see how they do anything that my hawks aren't already doing, especially at almost three times the cost. I looked hard at the 20's when Hawk announced them and IMO the only thing they will do is help with packing. For some thats an issue, to me its an extra stick to set which means slower climb time and I'm all about getting into a tree as quick as possible. No doubt there's no shortage of demand on the used market for those sticks on Saddlehunter forums, so get a set, try different setups and if they don't work for your style of climbing/hunting sell them. I think Midway has the 20" stick and stand combo for 200 bucks right now with free shipping. Hard to beat that!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to pick up a new pair of climbing sticks this year. I will hang stand early. Then carry sticks in and out everytime.

I think I am set on hawkheliums but can’t decide on the new 20 inch stocks or go with the longer ones.

what do you guys think?
I have a set of muddy pro sticks that i like. I love the cam cleat attachment. I also love how they stack together. Im thinking about getting rid of them, pm if your interested. Im going to try a climber this year.

OP
F
i am just unsure if they will get me high enough for some reason i feel he longer sticks will get me higher?

also looking into the lone wolf sticks

bootheeltechy

Lil-Rokslider
i am just unsure if they will get me high enough for some reason i feel he longer sticks will get me higher?

also looking into the lone wolf sticks
Depending on stride, 15-16 feet for short or longs would be my guess. Thats about where 3 longs get me. Shorts just do it with 4 sections instead of 3. The use of an aider will get u to 20 pretty easily with either too. It's truly just a matter of preference between the two, compactness of the 20s but an extra stick to mount or the extra length of the standards packing in but less work once in the tree. Again, for me the extra length and weight of the standards hasn't hampered or bothered me in anyway. If the day comes it does I have no problem cutting mine to shorts and running a step aider.

dkoster02

FNG
Hawk helium’s have worked great so far, only after some modifications though silencing the strap buckles and metal etc.

bootheeltechy

Lil-Rokslider
What type/diameter rope for the rope mod?
8mm static rope....this is what I use
1bff752a1de6af09c0a7cdd3828e9718.jpg

OP
F
I hear installing cam locks is the way to go to. To lock the rope in. Though it’s 30 bucks a lock

bootheeltechy

Lil-Rokslider
To each their own but cam locks are extra weight and something else to fail IMO. The stock buttons with rope and a half hitch are about as easy as it gets. I definitely wouldn't invest in the cam locks until I'd tried just the rop mod by itself first.