Climbing sticks

T_Nelomz

FNG
I currently have a set of 4 XOP sticks. they are nice for climbing, they have really nice steps that are curved up slightly which helps prevent your boot from slipping off, they also stand off a little further from the tree, giving you more room to get your center of gravity over the step. Plus they lock together when stacked which makes packing them in quieter and easier. On the downside they are on the heavy side.

I also have a set of Beast Gear sticks. they are super light (under 2 pounds per stick), they grip the tree like a grizzly claw and they have double steps. They have no moving parts so nothing will possibly squeak while setting them up. They stack really nicely as well. A bit pricier but my personal favorite for mobile hunting. I also use rope mods instead of cam buckle straps to hang them. That makes is quicker to set them up and no metal accidentally clanking while I'm trying to hang them.

The Hawks are nice, but heavy and have a weird strap for setting them up where you have to go metal on metal which creates a potential for noise. A better option that is affordable like the Hawks would be the Muddy's.

Hunters

FNG
I always prefer longer sticks. I like to space the sticks really far apart and the extra steps make them easier to climb

If youre set on the hawks go 20” and combine them with a versa aider! But if you want to spend the coin look at lwcg new double step stick or compact sticks with cable aiders. Also amsteel daisy chains are a great replacement for the stock straps.

T_Nelomz

FNG
If youre set on the hawks go 20” and combine them with a versa aider! But if you want to spend the coin look at lwcg new double step stick or compact sticks with cable aiders. Also amsteel daisy chains are a great replacement for the stock straps.
The new LWCG cable aider works on any stand. I think it's a game changer.

Wisco1

FNG
Definitely a fan of the Heliums. You just can't beat them at the price point (especially since they're often on sale on Camofire and elsewhere). I love the double step, they stack great, and with some stealth strips, they're pretty dang quiet. The stock straps can be loud if you're not careful but certainly aren't a deal breaker. For kicks, i'm considering changing to the rope mod this year to make them quieter.

I'll note, i've used my buddy's LW sticks. They certainly have better straps, but I can't stand the single steps (though he says you get over that after a while).

chk

FNG
I have spent my quarantine time figuring out what stick/stand combo to go for this year also I decided to go with the XOP Air Raid and Hawk Helium 20 inch steps using the buckle-less method. Camofire has had those sticks quite often recently and I picked them up for a good deal.

I have spent my quarantine time figuring out what stick/stand combo to go for this year also I decided to go with the XOP Air Raid and Hawk Helium 20 inch steps using the buckle-less method. Camofire has had those sticks quite often recently and I picked them up for a good deal.

They had they consistently, then today they had hawk products again minus the 20" sticks. Guess that deal might be gone.

T_Nelomz

FNG
Once yo get them get yourself the military surplus molle backpack straps and waist belt to carry your stand. Definitely the best way to carry your stand IMO.

pybucks

FNG
For the money the LWCG shoulder straps and waist belt are hard to beat

Running a LW Assault, LW long sticks with LWCG aiders and an XOP seat cushion

sneaky

"DADDY"
Regarding the longer vs. shorter stick question, shorter sticks are becoming much more popular because a lot of folks are using strap/amsteel step-aiders (single step, multi-step, or movable).

I use 3-4 lone wolf sticks depending on the tree and this year went with 2 amsteel aiders. These add about 24' to each of my first two sticks partnered with my saddle set up, I can get to just about 20 feet with 3 sticks and 2 aiders. Not a bad deal.

I also picked up 4 amsteel daisy chains to replace my buckle straps and those things are golden. I don't like the idea of using it on my saddle platform as I seem to be able to get the strap much tighter with the buckle strap, but for my climbing sticks they work perfect. They are super-lightweight and pack up very small.
Where did you get your Amsteel daisy chains?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

westward_archer

Lil-Rokslider
I like the hawks but just got some beast sticks and they are awesome. Bite the tree better. No moving parts. I will have these things for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T_Nelomz

FNG
I like the hawks but just got some beast sticks and they are awesome. Bite the tree better. No moving parts. I will have these things for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I LOVE my Beast Sticks! Order up some stealth strips for the and they will be dead quiet setting up and will disappear on the tree. stealthoutdoors.com

CP6

FNG
I like the hawks and xop sticks, they tend to stack well on the stand/pack. 4 usually get me as high as I need to go.

SC MCG

FNG
I use the Lone Wolf sticks, no rope mod - I can't convince myself that the half hitch is enough to keep the line from slipping -

Does anyone use a tree wrap/fall prevention along with a linemans belt on the way up?

I use 3 cut down heliums with lone wolf cam straps (tried tethrd versa straps and was not a fan). On the first two I have cable aiders. I have been getting 17/18 ft. with this set up. They pack well and are not that heavy. Hard to beat for the price. If I were to get new sticks and wasn't too worried about budget I'd probably look at the shikars or tethrds new one stick.