Climbing Treestands

OP
X

XRoss93

FNG
Earlier today, I went out and did some scouting to find the area that I'll be hunting and i've come to the decision that a hang on with climbing sticks may be the best mobile option for me. That said, how high should one go up a tree?

Rancher

FNG
I have both types of stands,climbers and lock ons,and I usually can find a tree that will work with a climber.I much prefer to use a climber,for the comfort,and setting all day.I have hunted most all of the midwest,so there is a huge difference in trees.Always use a harness and a safety belt if you get off the ground.You may get away with not using it sometimes,but it will come back to bite you.

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve sat in all kinds of hang ons and ladder stands hunting various friend’s properties and I find them all incredibly uncomfortable.

It’s a tad heavy but nothing beats my summit for an all day sit. Get a set of straps from an army Molle II ruck to carry it with.

The new cable setups with the summits are a lot quieter and user friendly than they used to be when i think most guys swore off climbers

Elkhntr08

WKR
Earlier today, I went out and did some scouting to find the area that I'll be hunting and i've come to the decision that a hang on with climbing sticks may be the best mobile option for me. That said, how high should one go up a tree?
I like to hunt 25-30’ up. Always have and not afraid of heights. Some guys say that 15-18 is plenty high, but I can get by with more movement, drawing my bow, the higher I go. Plus it’s also a scent dispersal thing.
This is one reason I prefer the climber. I have a LW Assault hang on in the barn. Haven’t figured out a good step/stick system that will get me up high and yet not weigh a ton.
Don’t forget the safety line too.
Heck, I may scrap the tree stands and just go to a ground blind.

FlyGuy

WKR
I’m not a diehard WT guy. I only hunt them to scratch an itch between western hunts b/c it’s the only thing available locally. But here is my take.

If you have any tall pine trees around then a summit viper climber is really hard to beat. It is aluminum and pretty light, Simple to use, quick to get on a tree and up to your spot, and BY FAR the most comfortable portable stand to sit in that I have found. If you are just starting out, this is far less complex, IMO, than a hang-on set up.

As stated above, depending on the terrain and tree types available, Climbers aren’t always the best option. I have a couple of hang on stands with sticks that I use as well. IMO these are really good for bow hunting when you need to be closer to the ground but have your outline well hidden in some gnarly tree canopy where a climber can’t go. But, they take an hour or two to get them all set (at least for me they do, I’m sure others can do it much faster with practice). The weight of many of these plus sticks can add up, tho there are couple light weight models out there. They are also Generally not as comfortable but perfectly fine, and they do allow for complete freedom of movement with nothing to bang your bow on.

Again, I use both types, but the area I hunt is a huge pine forest and man that summit climber is hard to beat to get elevated quickly and have a relaxing, stress free sit for as long as I want. (And even better in rifle season)

Good luck with your decision!

You can’t cheat the mountain

LostArra

WKR
Limbless trees are not necessary for a climber if you carry a Silky Pocketboy in your pack which you should regardless of what type stand or saddle you use.

OP
X

XRoss93

FNG
This is all great information. I really appreciate everyone’s input. The height really does seem like an interesting deal because if you carry climbing sticks the higher you want to go the more sticks you would need. Compare this to the climber and you’re not held back by the amount of climbing sticks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another vote for lock on stands. Too hard to find a good climbing tree. Most of the time when you do, there’s no branches etc to help you blend in.

blackdawg

WKR
Get a summit viper and a lone wolf lock-on with 4 sticks. Buy once cry once and you will have versatility that is hard to beat. Trying to go up high in a tree with multiple limbs to set a hang on while staying hooked up in the dark is a total pain in the balls! Pre-trimming trees prior to the season will get on your radar and slipping up a tree with the viper will be oh so easy quite and quick! When the bucks aren’t cooperating near easy trees or pretrimmed trees, the preset lone wolf is the ticket to notch the tags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bmoore

Lil-Rokslider
Just another thought in response to all the people saying just carry a saw or pre trim the trees you want to hang in. If you gonna be using the climber as a mobile setup you may not know which tree your gonna be in mid November. As sign changes the places you wanna sit can as well. So prepping trees may not be an option. Secondly if your on public land, it’s likely illegal to just be trimming trees. Have to check local rules where you hunt, but most public land I’ve ever been on has had policy against damaging trees. Private land your free to do as you wish, but if your gonna be hunting public keep in mind that your not supposed to be Trimming trees to get your stand in it.

Go as high as you can. I usually figure a minimum of 20'. An aider on the bottom of your first climbing stick can allow you to set the first one high. A few branches for steps mixed in and 3 helium's I can get to the height I need. I also frequently just use screw in steps, check to see if those are an option.

In some conditions you can get too high, branches from surrounding trees can start to block too many shots. Just depends on the habitat.

Higher you go it gets you out if sight line and helps with scent.

Drenalin

WKR
As high (or low) as you need to be to have cover and shot opportunities. Don't stick a number on it...it will be a little different for every setup. Might be 12 feet in one tree, or 30 feet in another. The other thing to consider is your own comfort level with heights - don't go so high that you get shaky and are too afraid to stand for a shot (if heights are an issue for you).

okcaveman

FNG
Summit viper is super comfortable, rock solid on the tree, and where I hunt, I rarely have trouble finding a tree. Only downside is carrying it through the woods. Not heavy, but bulky. Bought a lone wolf sit and climb and was very unimpressed. Nowhere near as secure on the tree.
Ive killed a lot of deer with. Bow, out of fhat summit viper, and the rail has never gotten in the way. It might with my longbow. But not my compound

FLS

WKR
It’s going to be different every time. High enough to hide but low enough to see.

As mentioned the sticks and stand are a great option but a climber has great uses. If you are going in blind, id take sticks and stand. If you know the area, check out what trees are available. If its feasible I prefer to use my climber first because I can get higher than 4 sticks allows me to go, it brings added comfort in my seat+bigger platform and I just generally feel safer if snow/ice/heavy frost are involved. The sticks have the advantage of not needing a straight, partially branchless tree and i definitely love the benefit they bring. I dont understand why some bring up weight of a saddle so often. My climber is 16lbs, my stand/stick combo is 17.5lbs, the saddle with platform and sticks is around 13lbs. Most the new stuff is light, a couple pounds is virtually unnoticeable unless hunting backcountry at high elevation. Saddles are at their peak imo, I don't think they'll become much more popular than they are now. THP pushes them but Tethered brand is one of their biggest supporters and they are "pro staff" so one should expect that. Plus I could go on for days about things not to do that THP does. lol. Just my long, drawn out 2 cents.

Last edited:

Bmoore

Lil-Rokslider
As mentioned the sticks and stand are a great option but a climber has great uses. If you are going in blind, id take sticks and stand. If you know the area, check out what trees are available. If its feasible I prefer to use my climber first because I can get higher than 4 sticks allows me to go, it brings added comfort in my seat+bigger platform and I just generally feel safer if snow/ice/heavy frost are involved. The sticks have the advantage of not needing a straight, partially branchless tree and i definitely love the benefit they bring. I dont understand why some bring up weight of a saddle so often. My climber is 16lbs, my stand/stick combo is 17.5lbs, the saddle with platform and sticks is around 13lbs. Most the new stuff is light, a couple pounds is virtually unnoticeable unless hunting backcountry at high elevation. Saddles are at their peak imo, I don't think they'll become much more popular than they are now. THP pushes them hard but Tethered brand is one of their biggest supporters and they are "pro staff" so one should expect that. Plus I could go on for days about things not to do that THP does. lol. Just my long, drawn out 2 cents.
Not sure why your saddle is so heavy? Climbing sticks maybe 8 lbs. saddle and ropes no more than 2 lbs total. So maybe 10 lbs total. But the bulk is not there at all. A stand of any kind is bulky. Period. There’s no way you can say they aren’t. If your in a saddle the bulk is gone. So even if it weighted the same it would be worth it. And I’m assuming your stand weights don’t include your safety harness. So really the harness and safety rope even out woth the saddle. So your still talking about a ton of weight and bulk savings by going to the saddle. It’s not even close. A climber may win out with comfort but it’s not comparable at all woth the ease and versatility of a saddle. And why so hard on THP? Of all the videos on YouTube they seem to be the most genuine. Not hard pushing any products even their sponsors. They wear basic gear, nothing fancy. They use milk weed to check wind, and they kill quality deer on public land. By far the most genuine and likable guys out there putting out hunting content.
Not sure why, but I got a bit defensive after reading your comment. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion though.

Its just my opinion, that's all. THP does have some good content, im not discrediting them. I dont use a saddle, tried it and wasn't for me but mine was 3 helium sticks at 2.9lbs each, predator platform at 3lbs and saddle at 1lb so almost 13lbs. The bulk is a difference but once again, 95% of the time its not hindering me. Use what ya like :)

Last edited: