Climbing Treestands

This is all great information. I really appreciate everyone’s input. The height really does seem like an interesting deal because if you carry climbing sticks the higher you want to go the more sticks you would need. Compare this to the climber and you’re not held back by the amount of climbing sticks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Height of your stand is always depends on your cover. In thicker areas I may only hunt 12ft. In big open timber I may hunt 30ft.

Their are several different methods for using climbing stick (lots of videos on YouTube). You can climb by just using just the sticks or add a one step aider or a multiple step aider or the One stick method. I use 3 hawk 20" sticks with a 3 step aider and typically get the top of the last stick 20 to 22ft off the ground. You just have to decided what you are comfortable with and do a little experimenting to find what works for YOU.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I agree completely, and that's just what I don't understand about the saddle. Some of the climber's I've looked at just look extremely comfortable if I'm going to be up in the tree for several hours.
Climbers suck in the best spots for deer. You spend more time searching for a tree suitable to climb than you ever will with a hang on with sticks. A good saddle setup is extremely comfortable and by far the lightest option. You'll find a smoking hot spot with sign, start looking for a tree to put your climber in, and end up 75 yards from where you need to be because the best trees had too many limbs. A hang on stand solves that problem.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I like to hunt 25-30’ up. Always have and not afraid of heights. Some guys say that 15-18 is plenty high, but I can get by with more movement, drawing my bow, the higher I go. Plus it’s also a scent dispersal thing.
This is one reason I prefer the climber. I have a LW Assault hang on in the barn. Haven’t figured out a good step/stick system that will get me up high and yet not weigh a ton.
Don’t forget the safety line too.
Heck, I may scrap the tree stands and just go to a ground blind.
Sticks with aiders will get you as high as you want, and weigh nothing. Aiders weigh a few oz each and greatly increase the height you can climb.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've used Summits, Lone Wolf Sit and Climb wides, and Treewalkers. Lone Wolf was quietest and most compact when packed, but not as comfortable. Summit makes a pretty good stand, just heavy and bulky to pack. Treewalker can climb circles around either and you can face towards the tree or away, open front or closed, etc. Not even sure if they are still being made but an awesome climber. They usually stay in the gear shed though because a set of sticks and a millenium hang on is money for all day sits in limby trees.

T_Nelomz

FNG
I used a climber for years, but switched to sticks and a hang on stand about 4 years ago. there is a bit of a learning curve getting it set up quietly and quickly vs a climber. But the sticks and hang on stand open you up to lots more trees than a climber. The best advice I will give you though is which ever style you choose, spend money on a quality set up. Cheap stands are heavy and make tons of noise,and eventually fall apart. An investment in a quality stand will last you many years. Lastly spend plenty of time practicing setting your stand up on a variety of trees well before the season starts, so when you walk in the woods you will be able to set up with confidence in whatever tree you think is best, and you will be able to set up quickly and quietly so you don't ruin your hunt before it begins.

TimbeHuntin

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with many here promoting hang-on and sticks. That said, quality aluminum sticks and a quality aluminum hang-on are going to run you more money than a quality aluminum climber. I own both and if I know I’m going to hunt a spot I’ve scouted that has a climbable tree, I’m taking the climber 9 times out of 10. Summit is the gold standard, API makes a quality product as well. Lone Wolf is obviously up there if your pockets are burning. I caught a good deal on an X-Stands climber that is very light, can’t think of the model off the top of my head.

nelliott

FNG
I’ve had both a climber and the stand/sticks. Both have their place but I prefer the climber. Just quicker to set up and take down.

Jpterry

FNG
Most of my new climbers have netting seats vs the fabric cushion. Not quite as comfortable but find them much easier to position in for a shot and they don't hold water in them if you leave them on tree during hunts.

OP
X

XRoss93

FNG
I’ve had both a climber and the stand/sticks. Both have their place but I prefer the climber. Just quicker to set up and take down.

I completely agree. When I started this forum, I was uncertain of what to go with. I ultimately got the Novix system, but have since returned it. I ended up getting a Summit Viper and as far as a complete all in one system it holds up the best.

If your going to go with a climber I highly recommend the lone wolf sit and climb. Easy to pack in with and very easy to climb up the tree. Like many others have said though you will be looking for a good "climber" tree. Most other climbers are bulky and loud when climbing or walking in with.

Jakerex

WKR
First year bow hunting. Buy a summit viper and go for it. It’s the number one selling stand year after year for a reason. Try to go into your hunting area in advance to identify trees that you can climb.....where you want to be. You don’t want to be doing this on the day of the hunt.

Practice practice and practice.

Pack your outerwear because you will get hot while climbing.

If you find a spot you like, you can either lock your climber to the tree so you don’t have to pack it in and out, or put up sticks and a hang-on.

Been using a climber on and off for 22 years. I can get in and up a tree pretty effortlessly. I’m still using the same summit bushmaster I bought in 1998.

Ga-Bullet

Lil-Rokslider
I've Hunted Most All Of The Climbing Stand. And Summit Is By Far My Favorite. I've Killed 75+ Whitetails Out Of Them Last 15 Years. I.M.O. Cant Beat Them.

OP
X

XRoss93

FNG
First year bow hunting. Buy a summit viper and go for it. It’s the number one selling stand year after year for a reason. Try to go into your hunting area in advance to identify trees that you can climb.....where you want to be. You don’t want to be doing this on the day of the hunt.

Practice practice and practice.

Pack your outerwear because you will get hot while climbing.

If you find a spot you like, you can either lock your climber to the tree so you don’t have to pack it in and out, or put up sticks and a hang-on.

Been using a climber on and off for 22 years. I can get in and up a tree pretty effortlessly. I’m still using the same summit bushmaster I bought in 1998.

I agree completely. I think you hit the nail on the head with your explanation as the Viper is truly an all in one solution. I’m planning on getting a Kifaru Stryker for it and I believe this will be a great mobile hunting set up.

Summit is a winner for comfort but for versatility a hang on might be the way to go... I've unwrapped a climber to go around limbs... not the safest thing. I think a hang on and sticks might prevent that.

I’ve been hunting from climbers fir 40 years or so. I’ve tried quite a few and my favorite is the TreeLounge. Very stable, easy setup and extremely comfortable. Downside is it’s heavy. Mine are the old style with the archery platform. Have not tried their new offerings but they look similar.

Next on my list would be something from Summit.

In a climber, to me the most important thing is comfort because I’m going to be in it for an extended period of time usually. But I’m on private land, leave them on tree during season and don’t move them around all that much. If I was more mobile, then I’d want something different.