Climbing Treestands

CentralFLMike

Lil-Rokslider
The new Tree Lounge is not even close in quality to the original.
I’ve been hunting from climbers fir 40 years or so. I’ve tried quite a few and my favorite is the TreeLounge. Very stable, easy setup and extremely comfortable. Downside is it’s heavy. Mine are the old style with the archery platform. Have not tried their new offerings but they look similar.

Next on my list would be something from Summit.

In a climber, to me the most important thing is comfort because I’m going to be in it for an extended period of time usually. But I’m on private land, leave them on tree during season and don’t move them around all that much. If I was more mobile, then I’d want something different.
The new Tree Lounge is not even close in quality to the original.

A suggestion for viper users get a set of stabilizer straps from thirdhand archery. He’s on AT. They are game changers for getting your climber to feel solid once up the tree.

OP
X

XRoss93

FNG
A suggestion for viper users get a set of stabilizer straps from thirdhand archery. He’s on AT. They are game changers for getting your climber to feel solid once up the tree.

I'll be sure to look into them

RCL

WKR
I started out using the old Baker stands and from there went to Loc On hanging stands. Still use a Loc On Windwalker with Muddy sticks.
Recently picked up a Lone Wolf hand climber and I have places where it should work great.

*zap*

WKR
I only own a Lone Wolf hand Climber for a climbing stand. Light and portable. I take 2 cranford rope steps so I can set the platform up higher to start out with it more level. I use third hand archery stabilizer straps and they work great. For local spots on the public I take a hang on the first time so I can climb up/down after I get the stand positioned and cut some small lanes, after that the climber is lighter and faster.

sid_22

FNG
I use a summit climber now but when I can afford to i will be buying a hang on with sticks. But the climber has done its jib so well over the past as well so no complaints here.

Rich M

WKR
I carry a summit viper climber.

Found that sticks arent for me. Didnt make as much diff as some say.

If I was a bow hunter I might be more concerned with finding a tree for my climbers. So if I was a bow hunter and 25 years younger I might go with a hang on stand. I do hunt in pines so probably easier to find a tree. I can usually get my atv up to the tree , or close so I my two climbers are for comfort and long sits.
they are both Summit Titans. Im a big boy and feel comfortable and safe in them.

Yoder

WKR
I've hunted with a Lone Wolf sit and climb for about 5 years. It's a great stand. Really light and easy to setup and packs completely flat. I just picked up a Lone Wolf Alpha lock on this year. It's also really light, easy to pack and a great stand. I have to say that I freakin HATE climbing sticks. They are such a nightmare to setup quietly. Especially when you are climbing a tree with limbs and need to keep swapping between two lineman belts to go around them. I'll keep practicing with them. I can see the value in being able to use any tree.

This’ll be my first year hunting with my bow and I’m trying to be as mobile as possible. In the past I’ve only ever hunted with my rifle out of a deer blind but this year I’m wanting to do a tree stand. What’s the general consensus on which climbing tree stand to go with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I dont think there is a "concensus" from what I have found. I use a summit viper HD and absolutely love it. You just need to make sure you have the right sized trees (not too large, not too small) and they of course cannot have large limbs which would obstruct your climb. I will say this - I like the climber infinitely better then my nice Lone Wolf lock on + climbing sticks. It's nice to be able to sleep when you need!

Shaker

FNG
I'm basically in the same boat, trying to figure out my first bow hunting tree setup. In north west Texas I don't think I've seen a tree that a climber will work in, so I guess sticks are my only option

JCMCUBIC

WKR
I use and have used a lot of different methods for stand hunting.

Summit Aluminum Viper has been very comfortable and easy to climb with. The trade off is size/bulk and finding "that" tree.

Lone Wolf hand climber is less comfortable to sit in and tougher to climb with. Still have to find "that" tree. The big pro is the compactness along with weight. Very quite as well.

Lock on with sticks or screw in steps in permanent locations. With screw in steps this is the fastest and easiest once it's in place, but I only do that in a place I'm going to hunt often and the use of screw in steps are allowed. Sticks work but I hate carrying them.

Saddle w/sticks/platform is good for short time but not an all day. Not to bad to carry and the bulk is less. Still, comfort for an all day isn't good. Still hate the sticks and eventually went to single stick method.

My final choice for mobile hunting, after a lot of trial/error, became the following two options:

1. 1/2 day hunt: Lone wolf seat for platform, saddle, rope ladder/tether for climbing. About as light/compact as it can get. Takes a bit longer to climb than single stick/aider but not much.
2. All day hunt: Millennium microlit m7, saddle, rope ladder for climbing. A bit more bulk and about 4.5 lbs more than platform but gives me the ability to sit on the seat or fold it up and stand/lean in the saddle. For all day it's great.

This year, for lockon's in places I left them up all year, I didn't use any sticks or screw in steps, just the rope ladder and saddle to climb. The rope ladder on a tether is essentially single sticking with an aider but lighter and easier to carry. It's changed the way I hunt.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
To add to the above, what I refer to as a rope ladder isn't really. It's the following:

I keep an extra (3rd) safety rope/carabiner hooked to my saddle to work around limbs if needed. One rope on tree connected to saddle, one rope on tree connected to ladder, extra rope on belt to slip around any limbs.

lgard

FNG
For me, my climber was only good for rifle hunting big pine stands. Switched to a saddle. One system fits almost all.

Rich M

WKR
I will put a cinch strap around the tree and stand on some trees if the stand doesn't grip as well as i'd like, other trees the stand grips very well.