Clone Practice Arrows

treillw

WKR
So last year I spent a lot of time, energy, and money perfecting arrows for hunting. I don't want to take them to TAC and splinter them all in one weekend. What could I do for practice arrows that would fly nearly the same?

I forget the exact weight of my arrows, but say they are 525 grains. I guess I could try to mimic the weight, length, etc and they should be pretty darn close. I don't want to install collars and expensive inserts in them though. I'd probably just use heavier field points.

I also thought that it wouldn't be a bad idea to come up with a lighter arrow to shoot at a lower poundage for higher practice reps. It would be nice to have the trajectory be close to the same to avoid changing my sight and just for learning the flight path of the arrow. Could I calculate what weight to make the lighter arrow if I turn my bow to 60 pounds with an online trajectory calculator and determining my bows energy? Which calculator?

What have you done? Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks!

Rob5589

WKR
Look at it this way; how much is it going to cost to put together a dozen + new arrows vs losing 4-6?

If you want to weight match your arrows on the cheap, you could make custom weight screws out of 8-32 threaded rod (or machine screws) and thread them into the rear of your inserts (with Loctite so they don't work loose) before you install the inserts. I did this with brass machine screws to add ≈20 gr to the arrows I built for TAC a couple years ago. Making the weight screws was a bit tedious but cheaper than buying brass/stainless inserts or Gold Tip FACT weights.

Last edited:
OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Ethics makes lots of different weight field points. I was thinking of just screwing those on.

Brendan

WKR
I run a 100 grain broadhead and 25 grain iron will collar on my hunting arrows. Switch to a 125 grain field point for practice. Collars are not glued on - simple interference fit and removable. Done and done - don't overthink it.

I do reserve 6 arrows or so as my primary hunting arrows so they don't get beat up.

Well, I won't be using my $30 a piece (or whatever they come out to be), spine tuned, etc, hunting arrows to do this all day....

View attachment 281262

Wuss.

I mean really, how much do the tickets cost to do that anyways? That's like going to the track but then getting conservative and not using race gas.

In all seriousness I like using arrows with different straightness tolerance for practice over my hunting arrows. I'll tune with hunting arrows, do most of my shooting with the not as straight/cheaper arrows. I'm fortunate in that I can go thru a few dozen of the cheap arrows to find some that spine out close to my tight tolerance arrows, but I think it's easier to just have all the same brand. I use to get a really cheap arrow that was close, but it wasn't that much money I was saving in the end. It's just time, I don't put the effort into arrows that don't get a broadhead on the front.

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
I know no one who spends 13+ dollars on a arrow wants to hear this but Victory VForce rebrands are sold in Scheels and Walmart for less than $6 a piece. You can find and build cheaper TAC options that could be used also for hunting that are just a straight and consistent as higher dollar options. Look up Samuel White on YouTube he has a whole series on it. The margins on arrows are ridiculous and the big companies are producing rebranded arrows for box stores at a lower cost, there’s a point of diminishing returns. I know people will cry that cheaper arrows “explode”, you’d be a fool to not flex check your arrows frequently as well as probably replace nocks, fletches and inserts. My point being there’s budget options out there if you can get passed what you other people think about your arrows.

dkime

WKR
Then don't do that.......:ROFLMAO:........aim at the target.

What are your arrow specs now......I might have some arrows laying around that you could use.

Im in this camp, by the pictures Ive seen the safest place to be at a TAC event is standing in front of the target. I see so many folks posting about TAC setups for arrows and sights and all this other garbage. TAC should open your eyes to the lack of forgiveness in your setup whether its arrow related or talent. (normally the latter) If you're scared to break your hunting arrows you can either shoot a shorter course, or honestly the best fix would be to just practice. No point in have 30$ arrows and 10 cents worth of practice to go with them.

Gorp2007

WKR
Just buy another half dozen of your hunting arrow shafts and build them to the same weight. You’ll match trajectory and you’ll have more hunting arrows when you’re done instead of a dozen “practice” arrows. Plus it’ll build confidence in your hunting setup. If you end up losing those 6, just start being more conservative (read: honest) about your effective ranges and step closer to the target.

Fisherhahn

Lil-Rokslider
You have already missed the target without ever taking a shot. Being afraid to miss should not even be a thought. If you don’t think your arrow is going to hit the 10 ring, don’t bother shooting it. You should expect every arrow to hit right where you want. If they don’t, they don’t. But if you don’t have the belief that they will, I guarantee you’ll miss a LOT more often.

KineKilla

WKR
I've been shooting two different setups for a while now. For the same reasons you identified.

I have an fmj setup and an Axis setup. Both have the same POI. I use the Axis for TAC and year round shooting and the FMJ for hunting.

Were I to go strictly off numbers, I have it backwards. The Axis provides a better FOC than the FMJ and sucks to pull from foam targets. I should be shooting the FMJ for practice and TAC and hunting with the Axis.

I bought the Axis' used for cheap. Around 20 of them.

At this time, I am considering just using one arrow all the time. I had contemplated using the Victory shafts because they pull from targets better but their gpi is too low for what I want.

Last year there was a vendor at our TAC event that would build you a dozen arrows on site and replace any you broke during the event for free. This is a great option if you could convince them to also replace any the following season...last 12 TAC arrows you'd ever buy. They would of course have to be able to build them to your total weight as well.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
I just shoot my 3D arrows into July and then swap to my hunting arrows. Gives me over two months of shooting my elk arrows.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Powerman

FNG
I just shoot my hunting arrows. If I have to buy more then I have more arrows. Spend some time practicing and figuring out your max range and then stick to it at the tac event. There is nothing wrong with walking up closer and shooting. It is a fun event that gives you an awesome opportunity to shoot long range and angles. It is no fun destroying a dozen arrows but what most of us forget is that we have to learn and practice at our own pace and with that will be failures and lost or broken arrows. Shoot to your comfort level and then slowly push yourself to get better. Do not compare yourself to others that claim to be making these shots with precision every time. They are out there but not as common you think.

I consider myself a little better than average archer and the tac event is a humbling experience. I shot the 2 shorter courses last year and being new to tac I thought I would just keep score to see. Wow, I found out right away that getting in the 8 ring on some of the targets was a win!

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Wuss.

I mean really, how much do the tickets cost to do that anyways? That's like going to the track but then getting conservative and not using race gas.

95% of people can't drive well enough to notice an appreciable difference between race gas and regular.