Close quarters bear gun?

rlmmarine

WKR
Thanks guys and yes it's a hunting with hounds bear gun. The muzzle brake is great info probably wouldn't have thought about that at all.

I think my first choice is going to be the 45-70 with some softies. However; that will be a lot more expensive than the 12ga I already have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The 12 guage is a bad idea. Ive seen alot of bears get up from a slug it just lacks the penetration. I have first hand experience in this.

OP
bowieknife50
If its in the budget you could always put a suppressor on too, help the dogs ears out a bit. Im about to get a .45-70, put a synthetic stock on it, cerakote it and put a suppressor on it. Kind of a goofy setup, but should be great for close range bear hunting.

If you end up putting that rig up for adoption I could find a good home for it.

mcseal2

WKR
I have never shot a bear yet but have shot the Remington pump rifles a lot. Here are a few things I've learned.

The guns have been extremely reliable when used with factory magazines and factory ammo or mid-range loads. These are not the action to start trying to hot-rod handloads for.

I've had a couple 270's and three 30-06 760 or 7600 rifles. All were capable of 1" 1o 1.5" groups at 100 yards. I never did a ton of experimenting to try to do better. If they shot 1.5" with factory ammo I just used it. If I handloaded I tried to get 1". A lot of this was done 15+ years ago without the same options in powder and bullets we have today, they would likely shoot the new stuff better.

Timney made a trigger kit for an 870 shotgun, the 20 gauge I think, that really improved the triggers on the pumps. I had them in all of mine except the first. Great cheap upgrade.

The only one I ever had feeding issues with was the first 270 I had after I had shot the heck out of it and rattled it around in a gun rack for years. It lived in my vehicle. The spring and magazine latch were both shot at the end of that time. The front of the magazine sagged and it didn't always pick up the round from the mag without holding the front up as I pumped it. It likely would have been an easy fix but I ended up getting rid of the gun.

When pumping the action put some muscle in it and make sure it goes all the way back and forward.

The other pumps I had I ended up loaning to left handed friends who fell in love with them. They talked me into selling them the rifles. After taking their first deer with it they wanted to own the rifle, so I sold them with the promise I get first chance if they ever sell them again. It's a pretty economical way for a left handed shooter to get a decent gun.

I still have a 7600 with a synthetic stock in 30-06 with a 2-7x Leupold. It shoots around 1.25" with Black Hills 180gr Accubond ammo. It is going with me for a 2nd season CO muley hunt coming up as my back-up rifle. I actually have not shot any big game with it, but I've loaned it out so several people who have. I like it as an economical back-up to my primary rifle (bolt 264WM or 300WM) on out of state hunts. It's a great option to have if I have to start still hunting instead of glassing. If anyone ever steals it from my truck or camp, it is less of a loss than most of my other back-up options. If I ever end up having to go back and track a wounded animal it's a great option for jump shooting at less than ideal angles. I haven't had to carry it for that, but it's job it's predecessors were good at. As a kid everyone did deer drives and the pumps were a popular choice for that type shooting. I had to use my rifle to finish a few back then.

Jason_F

FNG
If its in the budget you could always put a suppressor on too, help the dogs ears out a bit. Im about to get a .45-70, put a synthetic stock on it, cerakote it and put a suppressor on it. Kind of a goofy setup, but should be great for close range bear hunting.
Exactly!! I'm doing the same thing, I already own the can I just can't decide if I want to get my existing 45-70 threaded for it or pick up a new Marlin Dark 45-70 since it comes threaded and ready to go. That Dark model is so tempting.

Im putting it on the dark. On a list to get one when available. Given all the manufacturing issues in the past with remlins, ill be che king the gun out tjoroughly before i buy it. They seem to be doing a lot better with their new facility and machinery, but a few lemons are still making it through. I bought an 1894 .357 from their new manufacturing facility, and there are zero issues with it, so im optimistic. Ranger point precision just came out with a synthetic stock set. I have one at home ready to go, just waiting on the gun.

i know me and multiple other hound guys here in wisconsin like the 45/70 marlin guide gun. Its super short so it doesnt get tangled in brush while slung over your shoulder and can hold a group out to distance. if you got the $1000 to drop on it id do it in a heart beat.

Reactions: Guy

bruceride

FNG
I had thought about that but then decided that if a 44 was the plan I would rather have a Ruger 44 auto carbine. Always wanted one of those.

It's one of those guns that I'm not always sure makes sense to keep, but usually one of the first I reach for whenever I'm looking for deer or bear close up. So I guess it makes sense to keep!

It's one of those guns that I'm not always sure makes sense to keep, but usually one of the first I reach for whenever I'm looking for deer or bear close up. So I guess it makes sense to keep!
My brother in-law has the 44 Auto and I've got the 96-44 leveraction and yes I have to say they are so pleasant to carry I just keep finding myself reaching for it when headed to the woods!

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
What are you guys using for a guide/brush gun setup for bear, excluding any pistols? Like if a guy was running hounds and a bear was on the ground and things were getting Western real fast what would you want against your shoulder?

I'm exploring 12ga vs 45-70 but very open to other suggestions.

Thanks and God bless

.45-70 with a hard cast load

Are we talking about black bears here? If so 375 rugers, 375 h&h's, 45-70s, 416s are A LOT of gun, like way too much in my uneducated, biased opinion.

I used to carry a 450 marlin when hunting with hounds but have moved away from it. I bought a Ruger American Predator rifle in 308 and would never go back. The ruger is way lighter, cheaper and the short barrel is perfect. It can also double up as a wolf gun for me in the winter lion hunting. In my opinion, a 308 is plenty of gun for a black bear on the ground as long as you make a good shot, and, if you don’t make a good shot, a 12 gauge slug or 350 grain from a 450 won’t do any better than a 180 grain from a 308.

Timplant

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a northern Michigan hound hunter and if you’re just talking black bears 85% of us run a .30-30 with any good bullets, most of the guys I run with have been hunting them for upwards of 30yrs. Do your part and it’s plenty of gun. also stay away from buckshot with dogs or people around. A treed best and a bear on the ground are two very different things

Reactions: Guy