Closer look at the ASOLO Hunter GV and Tribe GV boot line..

To share my .02 with the Asolo GV hunter for anyone considering:
My mountaineering buddy swears by Asolo so I picked them up about 3 months ago and have put about 40-50 trail miles and 6000-8000 ft. elevation on them, including crossing a number of streams and uneven hillside terrain.

Waterproofing - holding up very well and confidence inspiring
Last couple weekends did about 10-15 creek crossings (just a few steps in the water each one), and they kept my feet dry every time. Walked in mud and wet grass and all has been very good.

Break-in
- been fine as I've been going slow, limiting to 2-5 miles a hike and haven't had any blisters or hot spots

Fit & Arch shape - seem to have a slightly higher arch, which I noticed subtly when first walking in them but didn't feel adverse effects when I had a lighter pack on of 25-30lbs. Last weekend I went out for an overnight scouting with a 50lb pack and ended up with some soreness in my sole.

I tried another insole but there's not enough room for the one that fits my foot well.

So I'm afraid I'll have to sell these and look for another boot's fit for my foot.

I'd definitely recommend them to someone as long as they fit you.

Cheers,

Steve

OP
snopro176

snopro176

WKR
To share my .02 with the Asolo GV hunter for anyone considering:
My mountaineering buddy swears by Asolo so I picked them up about 3 months ago and have put about 40-50 trail miles and 6000-8000 ft. elevation on them, including crossing a number of streams and uneven hillside terrain.

Waterproofing - holding up very well and confidence inspiring
Last couple weekends did about 10-15 creek crossings (just a few steps in the water each one), and they kept my feet dry every time. Walked in mud and wet grass and all has been very good.

Break-in
- been fine as I've been going slow, limiting to 2-5 miles a hike and haven't had any blisters or hot spots

Fit & Arch shape - seem to have a slightly higher arch, which I noticed subtly when first walking in them but didn't feel adverse effects when I had a lighter pack on of 25-30lbs. Last weekend I went out for an overnight scouting with a 50lb pack and ended up with some soreness in my sole.

I tried another insole but there's not enough room for the one that fits my foot well.

So I'm afraid I'll have to sell these and look for another boot's fit for my foot.

I'd definitely recommend them to someone as long as they fit you.

Cheers,

Steve
So I too have noticed the high-ish arch. I've been wearing them around work for break in. Some hiking, lots of stairs. I'm guessing I've got 30 miles or so on them. I immediately switched out the thin factory insoles for a thicker pair but that doesnt take care of the high arch feeling. Has anyone ever tried to "shim" a sole up on the foot pad end to take away from the arch? I have the vertical room in my case, just not sure what material to use. They're comfortable when walking but if standing too long, I get a sore arch after some time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

kreagerc

FNG
Scored the asolo tribe for $75 on STP. After 20 miles in them, here are my thoughts:
- they are a narrow boot. Im usually between a 10.5 and 11. Ordered an 11, they fit great, but I would consider the toe box to be narrow. I own the lowa ticam IIs and there is significantly less room on the tow box in the tribe boot.
- I love the stiffness. This, to me, is a happy medium between mountaineering and hiking. I'd consider it the "Goldilocks" zone.
- take around 10 - 15 miles to break in.
- Many creek crossings and are still waterproof
- still early, but after 20 miles, I think I could clean them off and they would still pass as new. They seem very durable. That's even after busting brush in Ohio.
- are they worth their original price, no. Should you buy them if you find them on discount / sale? Absolutely.....(disclaimer: pretty sure they are discountinued, but they seem to keep popping up on STP every now and then)

kreagerc

FNG
So I too have noticed the high-ish arch. I've been wearing them around work for break in. Some hiking, lots of stairs. I'm guessing I've got 30 miles or so on them. I immediately switched out the thin factory insoles for a thicker pair but that doesnt take care of the high arch feeling. Has anyone ever tried to "shim" a sole up on the foot pad end to take away from the arch? I have the vertical room in my case, just not sure what material to use. They're comfortable when walking but if standing too long, I get a sore arch after some time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Speaking of the shim.... Yes I have. About 15 years ago I had a pair of danner elk hunters. Ended up buying a shim off of the danner website to help with the arch. They were great. Made of a plastic material that was pretty pliable and cupped the insoles perfect. Not sure if they are still available, but I do remember them being relatively cheap and well worth the cost