Closest puffy to the Grumman?

wildcat33

WKR
Arc'teryx Cerium LT is very comparable. I've had both, kept the Arc'teryx.

On sale right now. Pretty nice deal on that jacket. Doesn't say if the down is water repellent treated. Not having had a treated down coat, I could image that would be a serious improvement in tech to consider.

ChrisAU

WKR
On sale right now. Pretty nice deal on that jacket. Doesn't say if the down is water repellent treated. Not having had a treated down coat, I could image that would be a serious improvement in tech to consider.

It has body mapped synthetic down for high moisture areas, I believe the cuffs, below the chin, and arm pits. For wearer generated moisture, not precipitation. Should I ever need to wear mine in the rain I'll throw a rain shell over it.

ChrisAU

WKR
What factors made you decide on the Cerium?

At the time the Caribou Arc’Teryx was a little cheaper, had about the same loftiness, was a touch lighter, packed a little smaller, I liked the color way better, and I really like the integrated stuff sack. Here’s a pic with both I just found.

7BBF0C34-5A2E-4BEB-AAA8-53D606C8A8EC.jpeg

OP
MuleyFever
At the time the Caribou Arc’Teryx was a little cheaper, had about the same loftiness, was a touch lighter, packed a little smaller, I liked the color way better, and I really like the integrated stuff sack. Here’s a pic with both I just found.

View attachment 183216

The Cerium has almost 2oz less down in it. I would guess the Coreloft insulation makes up some of the difference.

ChrisAU

WKR
The Cerium has almost 2oz less down in it. I would guess the Coreloft insulation makes up some of the difference.

I would expect the Grumman to be a touch warmer, yes. Here’s a FL Chamberlin - Grumman - FL Brooks. Honestly had the current coyote/green Grumman been available it would have been a tougher decision. I wanted a puffy that could pull double duty for hunting and around town, and the silver didn’t do it for me at all.

D23A4CA4-11D1-4C74-BB95-2947A073321B.jpeg

OP
MuleyFever
I would expect the Grumman to be a touch warmer, yes. Here’s a FL Chamberlin - Grumman - FL Brooks. Honestly had the current coyote/green Grumman been available it would have been a tougher decision. I wanted a puffy that could pull double duty for hunting and around town, and the silver didn’t do it for me at all.

View attachment 183217

That Chamberlin is a beast.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Black Diamond has enjoyed some success with their down/syn blend jackets; have never tried one personally- sounds good on paper though

slowelk

WKR
Montbell mirage and feathered friends Helios are very similar but even lighter and warmer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like Montbell stuff. I have the Permafrost puffy from there that I like a lot, but I sure do like the specs of the mirage. The site says the down is treated.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
I really like Montbell stuff. I have the Permafrost puffy from there that I like a lot, but I sure do like the specs of the mirage. The site says the down is treated.

I have the mirage. It’s crazy warm and light. It’s warmer than my FL brooks, miles ahead of my Sitka kelvin lite, FL uncompahgre, and kifaru LPP. And half the weight of most of those.

The only jacket I have that’s warmer is the Montbell permafrost because it has more down and a gore windstopper layer. But it’s about the same weight as the brooks or uncompahgre.

The only downside is that it’s a really delicate shell and I got it in a green color but it’s like bright lime green.

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The Mirage is a great jacket, But I lose lots of feathers with that thin face fabric.

slowelk

WKR
That's a bummer. 7-denier is the lightest weight nylon I have ever seen on a garment.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I haven’t noticed any feather loss, but I don’t get in the field as much as you and your wife.

I really notice it when I wear a rain jacket over it.

prm

WKR
I’d look at Rab. My wife wears a real nice Rab puffy. Something along the lines of the Proton, Electron, or Zero-G. I’ve had great luck with Arc’teryx, but in a lighter jacket than what you’re looking for. Look at Arc’teryx LEAF for great hunting color solids.

can also look here for ideas:

Last edited: