Closure of all non-resident caribou hunting in Alaska- Better Read This!

Here is the text of the letter I sent.

Good morning,

I am writing to request your consideration in the limiting of access to non-native hunters and other users of federal lands in Alaska.

The Federal Land Policy and Management act of 1976 states, “'Multiple use' is defined in the Act as "management of the public lands and their various resource values so that they are utilized in the combination that will best meet the present and future needs of the American people." The American people are not just those that live in or on those lands.

I was born and raised in Alaska, and have moved out of state for work. I have spent two years planning a reunion hunt with several friends from Alaska that I grew up with. Our group has almost $10,000 in non-refundable expenses and deposits already in place for a hunt this fall in Unit 26 B. Attempting to limit access to public lands, especially this late in the year is not reasonable.

Non-native Alaskans and nonresidents are not the reasons that caribou herd numbers are down according to biologists, so why punish them and those that rely on their hunting activities for their livelihood? How many transporters, bush pilots, guides, taxidermists, hotels, vehicle rental companies and restaurants will suffer financially as a result of these knee jerk changes?

These are federal lands that were secured for the use of all Americans. Please reconsider these attempts to limit access to our lands.

Respectfully,

Anyone heard any updates on this? I have a call in to Beth Leonart, the ADF&G biologist in Fairbanks, but haven't gotten a return call yet.

Ok, Thank you. We are about 3.5 months away from our hunt. Sure would be nice if the Subsistence board would let us know if we can still hunt our lands or not.

I called the Anchorage office of ADF&G today to request an update. The F&G employee told me that "as far as the state is concerned, everything in units 23 and 26 will be exactly the same as last year, but there are still people trying to push that closure." He said the subsistence folks are still pressuring the feds to shut it down.

I asked when the latest we would know is, and he said that the new regulatory year starts July 1, so we would know by then. Unless it comes as an emergency closure order.

I have also emailed a Fairbanks area F&G biologist that he referred me to, not the one listed on the website that I have spoken to previously. I will post updates if I hear anything back from him.

94 days from boarding a plane to go up there.

ozyclint

WKR
United States? sounds more like 52 different countries, at least from this aliens perspective.

isn't AK the only state that has caribou? if so then if this goes through then a lower 48'er can't kill a caribou? could a lower 48'er still do guided hunts or is the door fully shut? if the latter is the case, AK is starting to sound like BC, Canada where any non resident hunting has to be guided.

Last edited:

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
But Alaska has 30 caribou herds. The closure is in a specific region where 4 herds roam. Non-local public land owners still have opportunity to hunt caribou in Alaska (the U.S.), just maybe not in those pockets of terrain.

You can still hunt those "closed" caribou as long as the state regulations allow harvest...you just have to hunt and harvest below the mean high water mark (state land).

Salvage Caribou on Vimeo

lb

Shrek

WKR
The solution to this is for congress to abolish the subsistence board. I'm not sure what law they're established under but I'm sure it can be repealed.