Clothes in your gun case?

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
Howdy.

I’ve searched and read lots of threads about cases for airline travel. Ive seen some talk about packing clothing/soft goods in your rifle case in place of the foam. That’s specifically what I’m asking about. How do you all do it? Wrap clothes around the rifle, then pack stuff around the edges to fill the space? Have any of you packed multiple guns in the same case this way? Any issues with things getting jostled around? Do the airlines or TSA get upset about this? I have a couple pelican storm series cases, so that’s what I would be using, for reference. Pics would be appreciated.

I have a few good cases, but I get tired of reconfiguring foam for different trips, and this would also have the benefit of cutting down my number of checked bags.

Thanks.

I'm currently at SEATAC flying back to TX from AK with guns.

I have a boyt double rifle case. I took out the middle and top foam. I put my rifle in a soft case and put that in the case. I also brought a pistol. I put it in a small locking case, and put that in the rifle case (Overkill. You only need the outer case to lock) I had two boxes of rifle ammo and 1 box of pistol ammo. All were in there original ammo boxes. I loaded the case with clothes and other camping stuff to 49.5 lb. No issues with the contents of the case.

I'd recommend not using TSA Locks. At IAH, and ANC, I claimed my firearms and watched as they inspected the case (they didn't even have me open it at IAH). At ANC, the agent had me unlock it and she dug around in the case. Didn't really do anything but check for explosives. If you use regular locks, they have to get you to open the case, so you can monitor them go through the contents and make sure it gets sealed back up to your liking

Rockwell

FNG
You are required to use Non TSA locks for firearms. I keep a spare set of non-tsa locks in the gun case just in case an agent decides to open it without consent. I've packed a pelican 1750 w/o foam with clothing/boots and guns w/o issue from tsa. Like mentioned above, weighed out to be at about 49lb's at the time. Worked well for me, case seem heavy as all get out.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I travel each year at least once with rifle cases, I don’t wrap the gun in clothes because the TSA will unwrap it and do a shitty job repacking, I just roll stuff up and pack it right around the gun so if they do pull the gun out, there’s a place for them to just place the gun back into.

I used to pack more bulky items in with the gun but like I said, they will unpack it, pile around and won’t take the time to pack it back properly.

Fatcamp

WKR
I travel each year at least once with rifle cases, I don’t wrap the gun in clothes because the TSA will unwrap it and do a shitty job repacking, I just roll stuff up and pack it right around the gun so if they do pull the gun out, there’s a place for them to just place the gun back into.

I used to pack more bulky items in with the gun but like I said, they will unpack it, pile around and won’t take the time to pack it back properly.

Aren't you there when they open it?

We had so much crap in our case when we went on our honeymoon it was ridiculous. They never had us open it though. Spearguns, wetsuits, pistols, ammo, rock digging tools, knives, petrified wood and rocks of all kinds. LOL We watched through the window at DIA for 20 minutes while they paraded people past it to look through the viewer. Must have been using it as a teachable moment.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Sometimes, some places where there isn’t X-ray equipment in the airports they take it and look through it.

OP
S

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies. I’ll give it a shot on my next trip.

For what it’s worth, yes, at some locations TSAs policy is to request your keys to open the case. And then they take them and inspect your case behind closed doors where you don’t get to observe or be present. That happened to me recently. I asked for the supervisor and talked to her. She explained the policy, and I explained my concerns from monetary and liability perspectives. She voiced concerns about being in a room with strangers and guns present. All valid. But other airports have figured it out. So I took down her name, photographed her badge, and gave her my keys. I hated it, but it turned out okay. This was the first time in dozens of trips with guns that I was flagged for screening at BWI. I filed a complaint with TSA. Their response was to explain their policy, which I already understood. Explaining a broken policy doesn’t excuse a broken policy. But I digress.

Sobrbiker

WKR
Thanks for the replies. I’ll give it a shot on my next trip.

For what it’s worth, yes, at some locations TSAs policy is to request your keys to open the case. And then they take them and inspect your case behind closed doors where you don’t get to observe or be present. That happened to me recently. I asked for the supervisor and talked to her. She explained the policy, and I explained my concerns from monetary and liability perspectives. She voiced concerns about being in a room with strangers and guns present. All valid. But other airports have figured it out. So I took down her name, photographed her badge, and gave her my keys. I hated it, but it turned out okay. This was the first time in dozens of trips with guns that I was flagged for screening at BWI. I filed a complaint with TSA. Their response was to explain their policy, which I already understood. Explaining a broken policy doesn’t excuse a broken policy. But I digress.

TSA has changed their policy since the last time I flew, and their new policy is utter bullshit. The old written policy (that I carried to “educate” staff that wanted to play by their rules, not THE rules) clearly stated only non-TSA locks were to be used, and that the case was not to be opened in your absence.

I am so sick of “legislation via regulation” and not having any recourse when these types of regulation changes are made.