clothes lists for 5 to 7 day back country hunt

sk1

WKR
clothing list question

so i have gone over some of everyones gear lists in other threads as i slowly plan for my first solo back country hunt in the future..

many of you only list one pair of pants, is one really enough for 5 to 7 days? stink? get soaked somehow? I am just wondering because I am waiting for kuiu pants to be in stock in my size and had only planned on getting one pair, should I be getting two for an extra in the pack? or a cheaper backup pair just incase?

just curious, dont want to order one whenever they become available if i really should have two ;)

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
I just take the ones i'm wearing when I hike in, no extra pair in the pack. Really you are going to stink and your pants will probably be the least stinky of everything also the syn pants dry quickly.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
If early season, one only....time of year and expected weather will dictate what you should bring. Most of my hunts are early archery and I only bring one of anything with the exception of socks, two total. You are going to stink regardless, hunt with wind in your face as nothing else will help your odor.

dcestnik

Lil-Rokslider
Normally I only take two extra pairs of socks, an extra pair of underwear and an extra UA undershirt but might consider Cabelas Made in the Shade top and bottom for the hike in and camp clothes next year.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
ok well i just wanted to make sure....one pair of kuiu's for now then. just the idea of having such limited clothes seems so odd coming from a basecamp style hunt

Rosin - what do you consider to be early season, until the end of sept?

Lawnboi

WKR
One of everything for me, unless its going to be really cold, then ill take another set of baselayers.

Always take an extra pair of socks and underwear as well.

Quality clothing, 1 set does for me. Synthetic pants dry fast.

Dont carry too many cloths, everyone always does. I acually have used way less then i thought I needed in the past.

Your gona stink, i dont even take deoderant or a bunch of wet wipes to wipe down anymore. They are un-needed weight that really dont help all that much.

dcestnik

Lil-Rokslider
Here's my list if it helps, still need to refine it over the summer with some trial and error:
Worn
Light SmartWool Socks
Ex Officio Underwear
Ex Officio Shirt
Sitka 90% Pant
Belt
Sitka Merino Shirt
Sitka 90% Coat
Random Camo Hat

Stowed
Cabelas Space Rain Coat
Cabelas Space Rain Pants
Cabelas Liner Gloves
Sitka Bandit
Light SmartWool Socks
Heavy SmartWool Socks
Ex Officio Underwear
Cabelas PolarTech Bottom
Sitka Traverse Top
Cabelas Wool Beanie
Sitka Vest

Might add an ultra light layer for the hike in and a layer of under armor cold gear after some experimenting.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sk1, yeah end of September is about end of early season for me. I will finish my elk hunt around September 25ish and after that, probably looking at more snow and rain on hunts after that date. I have caught snow and heavy rain in August and September, but it is rare so I just roll the dice.

Robpr

Lil-Rokslider
If you are concerned with stinking up your hunting pants then I wouldn't hesitate to wear a pair of Northface or REI convertible pants on the pack in. They are very light weight and are very comfortable. Plus having the zip off legs allows you to have the option of shorts in camp.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I never take more than one pair of hiking pants. They dry quickly, and get dirty right out of the gate, so I never worry about it. What I do bring (depending on the season) is either a pair of merino wool bottoms and/or my mountain Hardwear compressor pants (I only bring the merino longjohns when I expect really cold weather). I can wear my MH pants to sit around in the tent at night if it's cold or my hiking pants are wet (even when raining I can dry my hiking pants overnight in the tent). I also always have my rain pants along, and between these (hiking, rain, insulation) types of pants I am pretty much ready for any situation without needing two of any type. The only thing I pack spares of is one extra pair each of socks and underwear.

As I think I mentioned in the women's forum gear thread, if we had to drive any distance in the truck before we started hiking, I always leave a complete spare pair of clean clothes at the truck for the trip home. So much nicer not to have to wear muddy/bloody/stinky gear home for a 6+ hour drive, and I am more personable if we stop for food along the way too :)

swat8888

WKR
I just bring another pair of lightweight silk weight bottoms pretty much for the sole purpose of sleeping in, or if its still chilly just to get my stink pants off to air out while I dink around in camp. Never had the need for a second pair of pants...bring some duct tape, and maybe a small sewing kit in case you blow the crotch out or something crazy. On second thought, not sure I'd want to repair my crotch with duct tape...never had the desire for a brazilian wax.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
The only clohting I take extra for a 5-7 day hunt that I am not wearing is one pair set of socks to sleep in, rain gear (tops & bottoms), depending on the seasons puffy tops and bottoms, a windproof polar fleece beanie, and some gloves. Other than that its already on my person and it's what will have to work for the whole trip, which is why quick drying gear is essential.

B

bearguide

i wear light socks in and carry one light and one heavy pair, so i can switch out wet ones for dry ones. i carry one pair of extra underwear to allow things to dry, and sleep in. i always carry rain gear, heavy stuff in alaska, and light packable in wyo. i always take a down coat, which doubles for a pillow by stuffing it into my head sock.

Here's my list I used for my Montana backcountry wilderness hunt...

Worn for the hike in...
SmartWool Boxer Briefs
SmartWool Lightweight Tee
Rei Sahara Convertible Pants
Belt
Darn Tough Socks
Cabela's Meindl
Ball Cap

Stowed
Cabelas Space Rain Pullover
Patagonia Nano Puff Pullover
Sitka 90% Jacket
Kuiu 185 Zip-T
Kuiu Attack Pants
Smartwool Midweight Bottoms
Manzella Liner Gloves
Wool Fingerless
Kuiu 185 Merino Beanie & Gaitor
Spare pair(s) of Darn Tough & Boxer Briefs
Light SmartWool Socks (for sleeping)

I wore my REI convertible pants for the hike in, and then I used them as a spare. I left the rain pants in the truck because the forecast didn't call for much rain. The Sitka 90% Jacket sheds rain pretty well, as does the Kuiu Attack Pants. I ended up not needing the rain gear anyway...

Last edited: