Clothing advice for 3rd season Colorado

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
Quick about me...I live in Texas, been trying to get to the west to hunt forever, looks like this might be my year. Going with my 14yr old son, hunting 3rd season rifle in unit 70, maybe 71. We will be staying in an RV, not backpack hunting in.

Obviously, hunting conditions in Texas are a little different, so been getting some gear to get ready, based on conversations with various sellers and Sitka etc. But I have never been where we are going, and our needs down here are so different, so some thoughts on what we are doing so far would be welcome.

I am definitely not generally in the, say, elevated, tax bracket, so been buying on sale etc. Anything I add will have to found on the cheap.

So here is what I have so far (one of each unless specified):

Myself:

Core lightweight hoody (2)...recommended to me for my base layer because I sweat ALOT and want to use them in Texas as well
Cabelas Merino short sleeve shirt...just an extra from the Cave
Black Ovis 190 wt Merino Zip T...extra insulation, large enough to fit over the core bl
Jetstream Lite Jacket....for my windproofing layer (in lieu of the mountain jacket..also wanted to seperate the windproofing from warming so I can use it here at home as well and also be able to control my temp at a more granular level)
Kelvin Lite Hoody....for sitting and glassing, generally warming up
Timberline Pants

I am going to get some rain gear yet. Socks too.

Wondering if I need the following
A mid layer top....either the midweight core, or heavyweight core...maybe traverse zip t or even fanatic hoody
Some sort of warming base layer for the bottom just in case....core lightweight? Heavyweight?

Son...grows like a weed, so being careful on investments for him. It will only probably last a year or so before he grows out of it.
Here is what we have for him so far.
511 TDU Pants (2)
Merino base layer for bottom
Cabelas silk weight base layer top
Black Ovis 190 weight zip T
Kelvin Lite Hoody
Rain Gear

I don't have a wind proof layer for him yet. Looking for another deal on a Jetstream lite, or something like it. Cabelas has some windproof layers, but they all look pretty warm as well (fleece backers), and I was trying to get a layer system that would be very versatile, so really wanted to seperate the windproofing from the warming.

That said, I think he will need a mid layer as well, so I could combine the into one piece from Cabelas and save some coin.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like you've got a good start. 3rd rifle can be tough because of the unknown weather conditions. Based on your list I would want more insulation pieces in the event that it does end up colder.
If you're hiking a lot it's probably not a big deal, if you're going to sit on a point all day then I'd say get some more warm stuff.
For reference, last year I hunted 3rd rifle and one particular morning going in on horseback I had.
Merino base
Core Heavyweight hoody
Jetstream
Kelvin Lite hoody
Coldfront
Neck gaiter
2 beanies
2 pair of gloves

Full disclosure, I run cold. If I were you I'd just throw in an extra fleece or hoody and you'll be close. Dont forget the accessories though or you'll regret it! Gloves, gaiters, hats, etc. Can be life savers.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
C

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the reply!

Just want to make sure I understand you advice, you suggested throwing in an extra fleece or hoody...so I assume you meant over what I currently have? In that case, add probably the core heavyweight hoody or maybe the fanatic and should be good? I run hot when I move...cold when I stop (the feet and hands especially)

On gloves, beanies etc...we have some beanies and my son has some good gloves. I will be getting some for myself, not sure what to get yet on that.

Neck gaiter sounds like something we should consider though...also thought about regular leg gaiters.

As for how we will hunt, I am told that the guy we are going with likes to move alot, not a sit in one place sorta guy. I guess the upside to that is that we will stay warm. The downside, for us living at 500 ft...man, we will be huffing and puffing!

Thanks again!

ericF

WKR
Referencing what WesternHunter said, it can sometimes be very warm in that time of the year, or it can be downright freezing. Speaking to 1'st season, the last couple years have been very warm with it being in the 50's and no snow at 12,000 feet last year. Contrast that with 3 or 4 years ago when there was a foot of snow already down before the season opened, and another foot dropped Friday before the opener.

I personally wouldn't worry about rain gear for 3'rd season. Unless you are going to be at 6,000 feet or less, the chance of rain not turning into snow is very low. In 12 years of rifle hunting Colorado across deer and elk, I have worn my rain gear one time. With your available dollars, I would focus on some midweight insulation.

I would also say that some sort of baselayer bottom is a must if it is going to be cold. I personally use Kuiu bottom baselayers because of the simple fact that they have full side zips and you can put them on and take them off without having to take off your boots. It is amazing being able to get where you are going and drop your pants, and just zip on your bottoms and then pull up your pants. Without that feature, it is such a pain to get your bottom baselayers on and off. I use the Merino 210 bottoms, but also have the Kenais which I got last year, but it was so warm that I never used them. The Kenais are half price right now in the Kuiu Outlet.

OP
C

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
Half price sounds pretty good right now. I'll check those out for sure.

On the rain gear, I was planning on getting something very cheap, very compact...just in case. If we end up in 70, like it looks like we will, we may be at sub 6k, as I understand it. I was told to bring some raingear, but expect not to need it, so small investment is best as you recommend.

Thanks!

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Yup! What ericF said, you can wear that insulation under or over whatever you want.
Core Heavyweight hoody has become my favorite piece of clothing from early to late season.
Where you're rv camping I'd say bring everything you can, and alter clothing according to weather. You can get a good insulation pretty cheap, no need to break the bank.

OP
C

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
I don't see enough insulation. With our dry air and close proximity to the sun 40 can feel like 60. Then when the sun isn't directly over you that 60 feel turns to 30 real quick. It is misleadingly warm that time of year, especially when the time change starts=short days.
Maybe add a insulated vest to boost your kelvin hoody. I ran two insulation layers last November in southern Colorado. Liked it so much I'm doing it this November too. I'd rather carry another 10oz of insulation than another 7oz of a shirt.

You probably don't need rain gear as long as your outer has a good dwr.

Knee high gaiters. Even if your in the lower 7k ish range a 3inch dusting of snow can be 3 foot drifts near by.

Base under your timberline pants? Hard to say. If you sweat easily then yes. For warmth I'd look into an affordable puffy pant. Something with leg zips, kenai in the kuiu outlet, mil surplus primaloft pants, uncompahgre pants (recent add in the classieds).

For your son. He isn't really a kid anymore but I feel the saying "dress your kids warmer than you" still applies. Father knows best.

Sounds like you're going to be moving a lot but consider the scenario of butchering an animal under a headlamp a few miles from camp when it's getting cold. Not fun or safe to shiver with a knife, especially in the dark.

Don't forget your orange!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Are you suggesting additional insulation beyond a heavyweight core or fanatic hoody?

I checked out those kenai pants. Seems as though they are meant to go under your main pants? Or am I misunderstanding that. Great price, if they go over, that might be cool, but there are no returns so gotta know how they would fit....don't know if I could fit those under my timberlines. I do sweat very easily...I assume, then, that you want a base layer to pull that away from the skin?

OP
C

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
Yup! What ericF said, you can wear that insulation under or over whatever you want.
Core Heavyweight hoody has become my favorite piece of clothing from early to late season.
Where you're rv camping I'd say bring everything you can, and alter clothing according to weather. You can get a good insulation pretty cheap, no need to break the bank.

So doing a check here to make sure I understand the recommendations:

Bottom
Some sort of base layer, (or a puffy layer over top of pants)
Pants

Lightweight baselayer (either LW Hoody or 190 Merino, or both at the same time)
Heavyweight Core, Fanatic Hoody or Traverse Zip T (or some other technical fleece like a Halstead etc.)
Windproof layer of some sort (possibly combine that with the previous into one garment)
Puffy

Sound about right as far as tops and bottoms (ie, not addressing socks, gloves, hats etc.)?

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I think that combination looks like a safe bet!

I personally do like to have a waterproof layer in case of inclement weather or if there's already snow on the ground. Sitting down in wet snow and soaking your butt puts a damper on things. So rain pants and jacket or pieces of gear like the timberline pants with the waterproof knees and seat are awesome to have.
Again, don't spend a bunch on the waterproof layer if you decide to get one. If you bring it you'll know right away if you're going to need it based on the weather forecast and if there's snow down.
Don't over think things you're on the right track.

OP
C

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome, thanks, I do plan to have RGear for myself, already have some for my son. Thanks for everyone's help, now to find the deals!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you suggesting additional insulation beyond a heavyweight core or fanatic hoody?

I checked out those kenai pants. Seems as though they are meant to go under your main pants? Or am I misunderstanding that. Great price, if they go over, that might be cool, but there are no returns so gotta know how they would fit....don't know if I could fit those under my timberlines. I do sweat very easily...I assume, then, that you want a base layer to pull that away from the skin?
Sorry I was tired and confusing with my post. Your current list looks fine for the average weather. I was suggesting an insurance piece like a puffy layer (max warmth for weight) for the price of those hoodies you can find a down or synthetic jacket on sale or in the classifieds.

The kenai is designed for going under your pants. They can go over but the material isn't made for brush or sitting on rocks.

OP
C

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
Ahh, okay, so your suggested system would forgo the heavyweight core/fanatic hoody option and substitute a puffy vest of some sort, as we already have Kelvin Lites?

So, based on what I have, for the top it would look like this?
Base layer (either the lightweight or the 190 merinos that we have)
Puffy vest
Windproof layer (Jetstream light)
Kelvin Lite Puffy Hoody
Insurance Rain Gear

OP
C

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
I'll say this, just a cursory check, and I can probably get a Kelvin Vest cheapest of all the options we are looking at. My son really likes the fanatic hoody...the most expensive of course. Not so sure on that camo though...and the cost. The heavyweight core hoody, we have not tried on yet, as we could not find one, but did do the HW core zip T. But the kelvin vest...not sure it would be to hot on the core, and leave the arms too cold for what we have (lw base, LW windproof jackets)...but the cost is the best of the three options.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ahh, okay, so your suggested system would forgo the heavyweight core/fanatic hoody option and substitute a puffy vest of some sort, as we already have Kelvin Lites?

So, based on what I have, for the top it would look like this?
Base layer (either the lightweight or the 190 merinos that we have)
Puffy vest
Windproof layer (Jetstream light)
Kelvin Lite Puffy Hoody
Insurance Rain Gear
I'll say this, just a cursory check, and I can probably get a Kelvin Vest cheapest of all the options we are looking at. My son really likes the fanatic hoody...the most expensive of course. Not so sure on that camo though...and the cost. The heavyweight core hoody, we have not tried on yet, as we could not find one, but did do the HW core zip T. But the kelvin vest...not sure it would be to hot on the core, and leave the arms too cold for what we have (lw base, LW windproof jackets)...but the cost is the best of the three options.
Yes adding a vest will add significant core warmth. Arms don't need as much. You have great wind protection, especially if you add a rain jacket.

Last year in southern Colorado in November a vest without a sleeved puffy allowed enough heat escape through the arms to allow activity. Combined with the puffy it was super warm.

What I wore last year was a 125 merino, kuiu teton insulated jacket, eddie bauer down vest and experimented with different shells (your jetstream would have been nice to have with the wind block). We were still around sunrise and sunset for glassing, otherwise moving all day. Coldest we saw was 23, warmest was 65. My lower body was subpar which is another story. If my lower had been adequate my upper would be good into the teens. Hats and gloves start becoming standard around 30 for me.

If I were you, instead of buying all this stuff at inflated prices. regardless of the sale price amount, I'd get on ripstop by the roll and buy 6 yards of 1.1 ounce calendered Hyper D in olive green, 5 yards of 1.1 ounce calandered Hyper D in blaze orange, and 5 yards of 3.6 ounce climashield. When it arrives, measure off three foot of length from the olive green hyper D and cut it off. Save this piece for your stuff sacks. After doing this, you are going to have 5 yards of each material left. Then fold the hyper D in half and cut it along the center line. Do the same for the insulation. Tell your wife you love her and, then ask her to sew the things into a blanket. It will take about 30 minutes per blanket as Climashield needs no quilting. Only sewed around the perimeter. When she is done, roll it up tight and use a seamstress tape to measure the total length around the compressed quilt and, then measure the height. Make you each a stuff sack. You are done.

This is the poor mans version of a Kifaru woobie. They pack small and weigh very little but, are a great warmth layer. When you are not hiking and need the warmth, just snuggle up in it. It works great. The cost of these two blankets will total about $100. They are multi tasking as well if you ever get into back pack hunting. If you go this route, go to DIYgear.com and run off the tutorial on how to sew the blankets and the stuff sacks.

I'm amazed that more people do not do this. I guess it isn't as cool but, cool to me is packing meat and, carrying a light small pack until I do. Plainly, to carry the layers you've listed in elk country, you are going to need a 4500 CI pack just to lug the warm layers around. Go light, compact, and warm. You are going to need it. And, do not over dress when covering ground. God Bless

Mcnasty

FNG
I have been eyeballing a kelvin vest to go under my kelvin light jacket and rain gear as an extra without all the bulk. By no means is it the same quality ….but I’ll just say Costco has a pretty light weight synthetic puffy vest right now I think it was 20$. It was low 30s the other night and it did well.

Gasman

Lil-Rokslider
@catorres1

How big is your son?

ETA: Crap, just noticed that this is a necropost from 2017. The OP's kid has probably graduated from high school by now.

Last edited: