Clothing and boots for September in Wyoming unit 70

RAU

FNG
Hi guys, my son And I drew tags for antelope in unit 70 in Wyoming. Never hunted outside Pa. Any advice For how to pack clothing/boot wise? I’m expecting it to be pretty warm but from what I understand you never know what your gonna get weather wise in Wyoming!

wytx

WKR
When are you coming out ?
It may be warm or we could have a nice snow storm.
You'll need layers. Bring a good wind blocking jacket and pants. Fleece layers well and is lightweight for mid layers. Maybe throw in some merino long johns just in case.
Boots should be comfortable, most antelope country is not too rough, good hiking boots work well., bring 2 pair.
Knee pads and gloves will help. Neither keep all the cactus out of you but really help when crawling.
If it rains your travel may be iffy on the 2 track roads, if you have tire chains bring them.
You'll be close to Casper if you really need something after you get here.

j_volt

WKR
Check out Wunderground for historical weather averages and records. If you are driving and space isn't an issue, you will definitely want to over-pack (plan for both extremes). Your boots don't need to be anything fancy as it is pretty easy country to move through, but a backup pair and a boot dryer are nice to have. I would definitely recommend knee pads and at least two pairs of gloves. I have a pair of Sitka Gunner WS gloves that still have cactus in them from my last Wyoming antelope hunt. If you get cactus in your gloves, they can often be useless after that.

RCB

WKR
Looked at average temps in Casper for Sep.
Average high, low for Sep 1: 82, 47
Average high, low for Sep 30: 66, 36
These are just averages, which means any given day could be hotter or colder. Depending on when you visit, you could be in temps in the low 90s (if early) or the low 30s (if late). Definitely bring a wind breaker and layers, as always.

OP
R

RAU

FNG
We’re trying to get there for the September 15 opener in unit 70.

1234AveA

Lil-Rokslider
When are you coming out ?
It may be warm or we could have a nice snow storm.
You'll need layers. Bring a good wind blocking jacket and pants. Fleece layers well and is lightweight for mid layers. Maybe throw in some merino long johns just in case.
Boots should be comfortable, most antelope country is not too rough, good hiking boots work well., bring 2 pair.
Knee pads and gloves will help. Neither keep all the cactus out of you but really help when crawling.
If it rains your travel may be iffy on the 2 track roads, if you have tire chains bring them.
You'll be close to Casper if you really need something after you get here.

Spot on! ^^^^

We had one day or snow/rain/wind all day and one day that was cold and the other day was warm.

7layerburrito

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I've hunted antelope since I was 14 years old and I'd say toss in a pair of lighter boots if you have them -- I like a really light boot with a gaiter to keep sharp stuff out of my socks. But in reality it's the type of hunt where you can wear anything reasonable on your feet you're comfortable in.

The temp drops fast at night no matter the forecast.