Clothing - Breaking Down Layers for a Newbie

Wapack

FNG
Hey there! I'm reaching out today in hopes of getting some insight regarding the layering systems you guys are using on your goat hunts. I've been invited to tag along on a goat hunt in the southern rockies in British Columbia the last two weeks of Sept. Aside from a backcountry trip in the rockies a few years back I've not done much preparing in terms of layering (workout gear during day, longjohns/thick socks at night). Plenty of the base layers on the market are pricey and I just want to make sure I'm getting the best bang for my buck. Any insight regarding your first choices and your experiences with necessary layers is greatly appreciated!
Hey how did your trip go?

A typical cold weather set up for me is:

Sitka Core Lightweight Hoody (my first choice for base layer)
Sitka Heavyweight Hoody on top of the LW Hoody (if cold enough to justify the additional layer)
Sitka Kelvin Lite Hoody as my mid-insulating layer
Sitka Jetstream or Cloudburst Rain Jacket as my outer layer. Jetstream if it's cold and dry, cloudburst if it's wet.
I wear either my Apex pants (warmer weather) or my Timberline pants depending on season and temps.

Sometimes I will forego the heavyweight hoody and run a wool sweater on top of my lightweight hoody. After a few days when the lightweight gets stinky I will use my heavyweight as my base layer and modify the layers from there.

I found that having a good baselayer is key. Also sizing appropriately so that your outermost layer does not compress your puffy too much is a good thing to keep in mind. Having wind stopper on the very outside layer is also key to staying warm....and do not neglect your fingers and toes!

Does having 4 hoods not drive you absolutely bonkers???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The key to staying comfortable on mountain hunts is managing moisture. We are huge fans of Sitka's synthetic base layers because they are extremely efficient at moving moisture away from your body. The Core Lightweight Crew is pretty tough to beat in terms of versatility. The Merino Core Lightweight Boxer is our boxer of choice. Stone Glacier's Helio Hoody makes an awesome mid layer to wear over your base layer! There are tons of great options for outer layers, but right now the Sitka Mountain Jacket and Stone Glacier De Havilland pant are our go-to outer layers for most mountain hunts. As far as insulation goes, we have been running Sitka's new Kelvin Lite Down series as well as Stone Glacier's Grumman Down series. Both sets of insulation perform great. The Kelvin Lite Down is slightly more bomb-proof because it's blended with synthetic insulation, but the Grumman is more pack-able. Sitka's Cloudburst rain gear is the way to go for a goat hunt!
Thanks for the advice

KineKilla

WKR
Does having 4 hoods not drive you absolutely bonkers???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just saw this. Yeah, sometimes it does. The core lw hoody is so thin it's a non issue 99% of the time.

I really like the Core LW tops but man they stink. If you have to wear one for more than a day, you're going to stink.

Unfortunately their merino toos are so short that if you raise your arms, your ass crack will be hanging out.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk