Clothing - Breaking Down Layers for a Newbie

Hoffer

FNG
Hey there! I'm reaching out today in hopes of getting some insight regarding the layering systems you guys are using on your goat hunts. I've been invited to tag along on a goat hunt in the southern rockies in British Columbia the last two weeks of Sept. Aside from a backcountry trip in the rockies a few years back I've not done much preparing in terms of layering (workout gear during day, longjohns/thick socks at night). Plenty of the base layers on the market are pricey and I just want to make sure I'm getting the best bang for my buck. Any insight regarding your first choices and your experiences with necessary layers is greatly appreciated!

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The key to staying comfortable on mountain hunts is managing moisture. We are huge fans of Sitka's synthetic base layers because they are extremely efficient at moving moisture away from your body. The Core Lightweight Crew is pretty tough to beat in terms of versatility. The Merino Core Lightweight Boxer is our boxer of choice. Stone Glacier's Helio Hoody makes an awesome mid layer to wear over your base layer! There are tons of great options for outer layers, but right now the Sitka Mountain Jacket and Stone Glacier De Havilland pant are our go-to outer layers for most mountain hunts. As far as insulation goes, we have been running Sitka's new Kelvin Lite Down series as well as Stone Glacier's Grumman Down series. Both sets of insulation perform great. The Kelvin Lite Down is slightly more bomb-proof because it's blended with synthetic insulation, but the Grumman is more pack-able. Sitka's Cloudburst rain gear is the way to go for a goat hunt!

OP
Hoffer

Hoffer

FNG
The key to staying comfortable on mountain hunts is managing moisture. We are huge fans of Sitka's synthetic base layers because they are extremely efficient at moving moisture away from your body. The Core Lightweight Crew is pretty tough to beat in terms of versatility. The Merino Core Lightweight Boxer is our boxer of choice. Stone Glacier's Helio Hoody makes an awesome mid layer to wear over your base layer! There are tons of great options for outer layers, but right now the Sitka Mountain Jacket and Stone Glacier De Havilland pant are our go-to outer layers for most mountain hunts. As far as insulation goes, we have been running Sitka's new Kelvin Lite Down series as well as Stone Glacier's Grumman Down series. Both sets of insulation perform great. The Kelvin Lite Down is slightly more bomb-proof because it's blended with synthetic insulation, but the Grumman is more pack-able. Sitka's Cloudburst rain gear is the way to go for a goat hunt!

Thanks for the input!

I've hunted the southern rockies quite abit, pay attention to the weather leading up to it.

Down and Rain gear never leave my pack(have had tons of success with Kuiu). I personally run a merino base shirt(two weeks in a synthetic base is not going to smell great) with a durable synthetic above that.

For pants, something like the Kuiu attacks would be a pretty good option, with a set of merino boxers under.

OP
Hoffer

Hoffer

FNG
I've hunted the southern rockies quite abit, pay attention to the weather leading up to it.

Down and Rain gear never leave my pack(have had tons of success with Kuiu). I personally run a merino base shirt(two weeks in a synthetic base is not going to smell great) with a durable synthetic above that.

For pants, something like the Kuiu attacks would be a pretty good option, with a set of merino boxers under.

Cheers mate!

Layering is not a universal science...what works for one person probably won't work for you. Some people run hot, others cold. Trial & error is the only way to find out what works best for you. I layer differently for almost every hunt. Weather, elevation, degree of difficulty, pack weight...lots of variables. I have a lot of popular brand camos but Sitka Gear is my favorite after testing it in winter with a dynamic rewarming drill. Dunked myself in my unheated pool and started hiking. 5.5 miles later of a almost dry except my socks and the very bottom of my merino base layer.

Last edited:
The goat from my profile pic is from Northern BC in Mid Sept, but my layers were as follows:
TOPS
-Sitka light weight hoody
-mid/heavy fleece hoody (Kuiu peleton, SG helio, Sitka Heavyweight)
-Sitka WS down jacket
-Kuiu Chugach rain jacket

BOTTOMS
-kuiu peleton zip off long johns (118 weight i think)
-athletic shorts
-OR CROC gaiters
-2 pairs wool socks
-2 pairs wool underwear
-Kuiu down pants
-Kuiu Chugach rain gear
-I brought Sitka Timberlines but never actually wore hunting, FWIW.

KineKilla

WKR
A typical cold weather set up for me is:

Sitka Core Lightweight Hoody (my first choice for base layer)
Sitka Heavyweight Hoody on top of the LW Hoody (if cold enough to justify the additional layer)
Sitka Kelvin Lite Hoody as my mid-insulating layer
Sitka Jetstream or Cloudburst Rain Jacket as my outer layer. Jetstream if it's cold and dry, cloudburst if it's wet.
I wear either my Apex pants (warmer weather) or my Timberline pants depending on season and temps.

Sometimes I will forego the heavyweight hoody and run a wool sweater on top of my lightweight hoody. After a few days when the lightweight gets stinky I will use my heavyweight as my base layer and modify the layers from there.

I found that having a good baselayer is key. Also sizing appropriately so that your outermost layer does not compress your puffy too much is a good thing to keep in mind. Having wind stopper on the very outside layer is also key to staying warm....and do not neglect your fingers and toes!

OP
Hoffer

Hoffer

FNG
A typical cold weather set up for me is:

Sitka Core Lightweight Hoody (my first choice for base layer)
Sitka Heavyweight Hoody on top of the LW Hoody (if cold enough to justify the additional layer)
Sitka Kelvin Lite Hoody as my mid-insulating layer
Sitka Jetstream or Cloudburst Rain Jacket as my outer layer. Jetstream if it's cold and dry, cloudburst if it's wet.
I wear either my Apex pants (warmer weather) or my Timberline pants depending on season and temps.

Sometimes I will forego the heavyweight hoody and run a wool sweater on top of my lightweight hoody. After a few days when the lightweight gets stinky I will use my heavyweight as my base layer and modify the layers from there.

I found that having a good baselayer is key. Also sizing appropriately so that your outermost layer does not compress your puffy too much is a good thing to keep in mind. Having wind stopper on the very outside layer is also key to staying warm....and do not neglect your fingers and toes!
Thank you!

bushpilot

Lil-Rokslider
I have done several goat hunts in that part of the province, however I usually go in mid October. Here is my layering setup.

Base- ice breaker merino 200 top and bottom
FL Chama hoody- essentially a 260 weight shirt
UA- storm pullover- can be substituted for a thrift store like fleece
Puffy Jacket- Marmot or Arcteryx I prefer synthetic over down
Puffy pants- m65 surplus pants might not be necessary the time you are going
Rain gear- Helly Hansen Impertech or arcteryx

If you don’t want to spend a lot of money on clothes research the principles behind the different layers (base, insulation and outer) and shop for deals or used in those categories.

Leroy91

FNG
I have done several goat hunts in that part of the province, however I usually go in mid October. Here is my layering setup.

Base- ice breaker merino 200 top and bottom
FL Chama hoody- essentially a 260 weight shirt
UA- storm pullover- can be substituted for a thrift store like fleece
Puffy Jacket- Marmot or Arcteryx I prefer synthetic over down
Puffy pants- m65 surplus pants might not be necessary the time you are going
Rain gear- Helly Hansen Impertech or arcteryx

If you don’t want to spend a lot of money on clothes research the principles behind the different layers (base, insulation and outer) and shop for deals or used in those categories.
Eh buddy! Or, even better than the thrift store fleece, throw in the good 'ol Mexican hoodie! Hah!
Let me know when you are free for a chat later this week and we can catch up and look at some tentative dates to get out for that goat of yours.

gelton

WKR
Regardless of the brand, here is what you need:

A merino base layer - I recommend 200 weight for the top but I also bring a 150 weight t shirt and use 150 weight long johns

Fleece mid-layer: some people choose a heavier weight merino here instead of fleece, most fleece layers are more durable though.

Pants - something that is durable and has some stretch

Vest - optional but nice to have

Puffy - synthetic or down, I use synthetic

Outer layer - rain gear

Just avoid cotton with all of the above and you should be good to go.

Leroy91

FNG
For rain gear:
Sitka Thunderhead or Outdoor Research Foray?
I have been pretty happy with my Foray jacket. It doesn't wet through and is tough. I use it for skiing and snowboarding as an out layer in the winter and have snagged quite a few trees without creating any holes. Is much more affordable than most hunting brand.
For rain pants, I went with the Apollo rain pant from OR instead of their Foray as I don't find I need a rain pant too often in the East Kootenays of BC. The Apollo uses OR's own goretex-like fabric and probably isn't as breathable as the Foray and doesn't havee a drawstring (just an elastic belt), but it still has full sidezips, is waterproof, packs smaller, and only cost me $65 on a 40% sale. I had the OR helium pant, but found them too hard to get into/out of without making a mess due to the half leg zip. They were a super nice and small pkg size thoguh.

kirkthoma

FNG
stay away from cotton, get rain gear with pit zips and leg zips for those uphill dashes. merino base layer works good, down puffy for glassing. get used to changing before you need too. ie layering up when you're about to get cold, and dressing down before a climb. it may seem like a pain but it's better to avoid sweating out. I also like a synthetic best for a little bit of insulation while still airing out areas where pack is sitting.

2-Stix

WKR
base top and bottom - merino
mid 1 - breathable hoody fleece
mid 2 - light weight down puff
mid 3 - heavy fleece
soft shell
gortex top and bottom rain shell

I mix and match my mid 2 and 3 and also my soft/rain. I usually have 3 layers on.

loadsandlattes

Lil-Rokslider
I'm with most of the others on here. I run almost all Sitka Gear. It's expensive but damnit, it works. I also like Smartwool for baselayers. Here's my go-to for 0 -100 degree hunting:

• 75-100
    • Sitka Lightweight 1/4 Zip top
    • Sitka Ascent Pants
    • Light smartwool socks
    • ball cap
  • 50-75
    • Smartwool 150 wt 1/4 zip top
    • Sitka Mountain Vest
    • Smartwool 150 wt leggings (if it's on the colder side)
    • Sitka Ascent Pants
    • Light Smartwool socks
    • ball cap
    • Sitka Traverse gloves
  • 30-50
    • Sitka Mountain Vest
    • Sitka Mountain Jacket
    • Smartwool 150 wt leggings (if it's on the colder side)
    • Sitka Ascent Pants (not windy)
    • Sitka Mountain Pants (if windy)
    • Heavy Smartwool socks
    • Sitka Beanie
    • Sitka Traverse gloves
  • 0-30
    • Sitka Mountain Vest
    • Sitka Mountain Jacket
    • Sitka Kelvin Down WS Jacket (Optional-VERY warm)
    • Smartwool 150 wt leggings
    • Sitka Mountain Pants
    • Heavy Smartwool socks
    • Sitka Beanie
    • Sitka Mountain gloves
Like others have said, having good rain gear is important. I waterfowl hunt, so I have Sitka's bibs and delta wader jacket. If it's pouring rain I don't care about camo pattern not matching, I just want to stay dry. I will say this - wind stopper material is paramount to me being comfortable. So look into that....

The goat from my profile pic is from Northern BC in Mid Sept, but my layers were as follows:
TOPS
-Sitka light weight hoody
-mid/heavy fleece hoody (Kuiu peleton, SG helio, Sitka Heavyweight)
-Sitka WS down jacket
-Kuiu Chugach rain jacket

BOTTOMS
-kuiu peleton zip off long johns (118 weight i think)
-athletic shorts
-OR CROC gaiters
-2 pairs wool socks
-2 pairs wool underwear
-Kuiu down pants
-Kuiu Chugach rain gear
-I brought Sitka Timberlines but never actually wore hunting, FWIW.
I’m running a very similar system for goat west of Terrace. Works pretty well at managing moisture.

Dust1n

FNG
I just got into using a Merino 3 years ago for a base layer and its the world of differnce, Spandex and Synthetics give me an itchy feeling so I went to smartwool (no spandex) and I dont itch, wicks away sweat, regulates my body temperature, and it doesnt stink. I dont think ill ever be going back to synthetics or cotton base shirts while hiking/hunting.

Invest in some Darntough Midweight Hiker Socks. Iv been swapping back and forth from my 7 pairs for about a year now and they still feel brand new!

This is what I wear hiking/scrambling during Late Spring, Summer, Early Fall.
for Hunting I would switch to Kuiu, Sitka, Skre, Firstlite Soft Shells but keep the rest the same as I run hot. ( I dont own any big name soft shells and I use my cabelas branded items)

Base Layer;
Smartwool Merino 150 LS
Smartwool 150 Pants

Mid Layer;
Heli Hansen Daybreak Fleece

Shell;
Outdoor Research Vanir Beanie
Outdoor Research Foray Jacket
Prana Zion Pants
Outdoor Research Crocodile Gaiters
Costco Gloves
Darntought Midweight Hiker Socks
MeUndies 6" Boxers

Insulation;
Arcteryx Atom LT

Rain Shell;
Heli Hansen Loke Jacket

Silver

FNG
A lot of really good info, especially around base layers. Like someone said everyone is different - I run super hot, so what I wear on a January ski tour might look like someone's October hunting kit. Find out what works for you.

One thing to consider is what/whether you need for camo. Kuiu/Sitka/FL etc are all great clothing systems, and if money wasn't an issue I'd be head to toe in one or more kits. I've found that a lot of other outdoor brands achieve the same thing for a lot cheaper. Personally I like Outdoor Research, but keep an eye out for sales and get what you need. A full kit of decent to good gear is worth way more in the mountains than a super good few pieces.

If I know I'm not going to be sitting too long, my kit is pretty much the same right through October:

Base:
OR merino long johns
Icebreaker (or similar) 150wt top (usually long sleeve)

Mid layer:
Costco Merino base layer hoody (don't laugh - 30 bucks, hood, and neutral colour) - this might be too light for others, but I run hot.
Soft shell pants (I've got a few, but if I'm out for more than a day trip it's usually a pair of OR equinox convertible pants)

Insulating layer (usually in pack):
Down puffy (look to non-hunting companies here - I find them lighter weight in general)
Sweater/jacket - I use an OR jacket with fleece insulation on the torso and less on the arms, and I'll use this as a sweater next to skin if I need to dry out other stuff).
I don't have puffy pants yet, but I'm seriously looking at carrying them as glassing pants/Oh crap I've got to stay out overnight stuff.

Outer layer:
Kuiu Chinook jacket (this is the one place I'll spend on hunting specific stuff every time). Skiing/mountaineering I'll use my OR ferosi hoody every time.

Rain gear:
Always carry a full set (although I've gone to a super light pair of pants that go on mostly when I'm stationary). Find something that balances weight and durability, and don't scrimp here - this crap will save your life.
I like gaiters, which I feel let's me get away with a lighter pair of rain pants, but that's personal preference

Other stuff:
Lightweight wool or synthetic liner gloves
Midweight 'dry' gloves (never truly waterproof I find, but something more than a liner)
Buff/neck gaiter
Merino skull cap
Darn tough socks

The big thing is to understand Why outdoor gear is made/layered the way it is, and fins what works for you. I'd that's head to toe Sitka awesome (and I'm a bit jealous). If not that's cool - my last goat and Dall sheep didn't seem to care I wasn't rocking full camo.

Biggest thing is to get out there and learn what works

Ag