Clothing critique

DamnRinella

Lil-Rokslider
Just wanted to hear the experts opinion on my first setup for a first 5 day CO 2nd season rifle elk hunt, roughly 8k-10k fest. It’s a guided drop camp setup so no need to carry all on my back. The setup has been obtained through various deals and clearances. Please let me know what I am missing, how many I need, and brands I should consider. Or if something should be returned! I may get cold easy being from FL. Thank you in advance.

2 Sitka Core lightweight bottoms
2 Black Ovis merino long sleeve top

1 Kuiu attack pants
1 Sitka core mid weight T-shirt zipper long sleeve
1 Sierra design Puffy jacket
1 kuiu rubicon jacket - May trade in for guide jacket instead. Interested in opinions

Still need
1 Hunter orange vest/ hat - just trying to find the cheapest and trying to determine size
1 Gaiters, it may be snow
Socks
Boxers
And maybe other stuff I haven’t considered like puffy pants?..
Rain gear - maybe frog toggs and the guide/rubicon may be waterproof enough on top.

Thanks everyone for the overwhelming help. The fishing forums in FL are not nearly this kind to newcomers, but then again its Florida. Much appreciated

Bbrinks

FNG
You could probably get by with one pair of each of the base layers, but I haven’t used the Sitka bottoms so not sure how they would smell after a couple of days.

I’m a big fan of darn tough socks, they have a killer warranty and lots of options with cushioning and weights.

I like the kenetrek gaiters, but I’ve used the outdoor research crocodile ones too, they’re just a little noisy. Kuiu and first lite are some of the other popular ones.

Boxer briefs - lots of options. I like lightweight merino, usually SmartWool or the kryptek hoplites

What do you have in terms of footwear?

K_pem

WKR
Like brinks said you could get away with one set of base layers, depends i guess on if weight and wet is a major concern for you. If i was you i would swap one of those for a warmer 1/4 zip or something if you absolutely plan on bringing two tops, then you have options.

If you're set on a soft shell type jacket then maybe consider the axis jacket for its waterproof panels. Otherwise i personally consider just going with a good hard shell like the yukon or the stormfront/coldfront jacket so you dont have to worry about a rain jacket also.

Gaiters I love my yukon gaiters but my hunting partner runs the OR Crocs and seems to like them. Though i have heard great things about the kennetrek gaiters as well.

Socks i like the FL but you cant go wrong with Darn tough i have heard.

Boxers the FL aerowool short ones i love, people like the half leg too.

Puffy pants are something ive been exploring but i currently have the kuiu zip off bottoms which are sweet, and i have the kenai bottoms which also zip off but go under your pants as opposed to over, i like them for really cold conditions and quad riding in cold.

OP
D

DamnRinella

Lil-Rokslider
You could probably get by with one pair of each of the base layers, but I haven’t used the Sitka bottoms so not sure how they would smell after a couple of days.

I’m a big fan of darn tough socks, they have a killer warranty and lots of options with cushioning and weights.

I like the kenetrek gaiters, but I’ve used the outdoor research crocodile ones too, they’re just a little noisy. Kuiu and first lite are some of the other popular ones.

Boxer briefs - lots of options. I like lightweight merino, usually SmartWool or the kryptek hoplites

What do you have in terms of footwear?

Thanks so much for the advice. I have schnees beartooth insulated

OP
D

DamnRinella

Lil-Rokslider
Like brinks said you could get away with one set of base layers, depends i guess on if weight and wet is a major concern for you. If i was you i would swap one of those for a warmer 1/4 zip or something if you absolutely plan on bringing two tops, then you have options.

If you're set on a soft shell type jacket then maybe consider the axis jacket for its waterproof panels. Otherwise i personally consider just going with a good hard shell like the yukon or the stormfront/coldfront jacket so you dont have to worry about a rain jacket also.

Gaiters I love my yukon gaiters but my hunting partner runs the OR Crocs and seems to like them. Though i have heard great things about the kennetrek gaiters as well.

Socks i like the FL but you cant go wrong with Darn tough i have heard.

Boxers the FL aerowool short ones i love, people like the half leg too.

Puffy pants are something ive been exploring but i currently have the kuiu zip off bottoms which are sweet, and i have the kenai bottoms which also zip off but go under your pants as opposed to over, i like them for really cold conditions and quad riding in cold.

Without puffy pants, will my legs be cold with just the Sitka base layer pants and kuiu attack. Or should I consider a middle layer

K_pem

WKR
Depends how cool you run and how much time you’ll spend glassing. It shouldn’t be ass cold but i have no doubts with weather you’ll see freezing temps.

But personally for me I would definitely consider the peloton 97 or 200s just for the comfort and versatility of them. They’re super light weight and do really add a good amount of warmth.

K_pem

WKR
You gotta think about how much time you’re gonna spend sitting still vs hiking and looking for animals. That’s what zip off midlayer bottoms vs puffy pants comes down to IMO

Bbrinks

FNG
Beartooths are great, that’s what I used for second season last year too, just make sure you break them in pretty well first if you haven’t already

OP
D

DamnRinella

Lil-Rokslider
Any advice on the soft shell rubicon or guide jacket? I am confused whether I need the rubicon or guide jacket plus a rain jacket. Or just get the Yukon and wear as a jacket for wind/warmth plus full rain jacket too.