clothing for elk in sept.

barmar65

Lil-Rokslider
I am going to wyoming on an archery elk hunt in sept and would like to know what kind of clothing is best...... I have 2 sets of kings camo poly pants and long sleeve t shirts , and have yet to buy a jacket of some kind. I am not sure if a fleece windproof jacket will be enough or if i should get something warmer. I have Sitka downpor rain gear and cabelas outfitter boots with merino wool and ultimax socks. I dont want to have too much stuff, but I also dont want to be short of needed and what may be essential items.

ridgefire

WKR
i do not wear a jacket much in sept. mainly a couple long sleeve wool tees and a sitka vest. i do usually have my 90% jacket in my pack though as well as a rainjacket.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
What I wear or have in my daypack on a typical September elk hunt.

Merino Wool Base Layers. Top and Bottom

Top:

Sitka Hoodie, 90% Jacket, Jestream Vest, Kelvin Jacket (usually packed unless sitting/glassing)

Bottom will be just the base layer Merino and then one of the following pants depending on weather. Ascent if warmer or mid-day, 90% or Mountain Pants if cooler and/or glassing.

Stormfront Rain gear, Sitka beanie and Ball Cap, Shooter and Traverse Gloves.

Sitka Gaiters for when it is wet or raining.

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
Where will you be and at what altitude? Temperatures in the high country in the Tetons will be much different than those in the Medicine Bows around Rawlins or Saratoga.

2rocky

WKR
Last 5 days of September have pretty wide temperature swings in Western Wyoming.
I've had frozen streams before daylight and then 60 degrees by 10am.

Performance Base layer (merino or wicking synthetic)200-300 wt is all.
Non Cotton shirt and pants (I've done Microtex and regular wool both)
Soft shell or polar fleece jacket- insulation layer
Wind and waterproof raingear.
Gloves, beanie, baclava
Optional: Sweater or zip front sweatshirt, or vest (the first to be left at the trailhead or camp)

I assume you are on foot, so you will be active during the coldest time right before daylight as you hike to a glassing spot, but need to add a layer as you wait for daylight. gloves and a beanie go a long ways towards making sitting in the cold more comfortable. The rain jacket stops the wind.

Once the sun hits you it is down to the shirt level. Noontime nap on the mountain with the jacket as your pillow. The afternoon breeze wakes you as it starts to cool down...Hunt the afternoon and spend the evening glassing your morning go to spot. Add the jacket in the evening..

Never without the raingear though. Mountain storms are unpredictable.

OP
B

barmar65

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like i have most of the clothes you are talking about. We are in unit 7 wyoming near laramie peak and north.

bowinhand

WKR
depends on what part of Sept and at what elevation I usually wear/take

light weight merino boxers and t
merino mid weight zip long sleeve t and bottoms
four way stretch quick dry pants
Jetstream vest
Rain jacket
spindrift jacket
beanie
mid weight gloves

This usually covers what the mountain throws at ya just remember "you can't cheat the mountain pilgrim"

You might consider treating your pants with a DWR like Nikwax TX direct or Rain x revive to help bead off dew or light rain.