Clothing for September Elk-Back Packing in

PaBone

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Kuiu Ultra pack with a 7000 and 3000 bag. I find my pack really comfortable and no issues packing close to 60 pounds of gear in and packing an elk out. Used the 3000 as my day pack once we got camp set up. You can't go wrong with the First Lite Obsidian Foundry pants, it was the only pant I wore for 10 days in Montana last September. I carried a packable rain jacket, First Lite Uncompahgre puffy, 3 liter bladder, Katadyn hiker Pro, cheap tarp, paracord, Argali game bags in my day pack. Like most said good boots and pack and comfortable clothes. Seems like Kuiu packs don't get a lot of love on here but at 61 mine will carry more than I can.

IMG_4725.jpg

fatlander

WKR
Don’t over think this.

Light weight hiking pants with hip zips, light weight shirt, fleece hoodie, puffy, gloves, beanie, ball cap, two pairs of socks, and rain gear (leave the pants at the truck if the forecast looks good)

If the weather is going to be super cold (for September) before you head out bring a heavier base layer.

Gear doesn’t find elk. You can’t kill elk if you haven’t found them. Back packing in to a place you’ve never been is a good way to waste a few days of your hunt if the elk aren’t there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
My tried and true clothing set up for that hunt would be…

.Firstlite or Smartwool light merino base layers
.Fjallraven Vida Pro Vented pants (waxed from knees down)
.Patagonia R1 Air Hoodie
.Patagonia Houdini Wind Breaker/Light rain jacket
.Swazi Tahr Rain Jacket if needed
.Kifaru LPP or Nunatak Puffy depending on temps
.Outdoor Research puffy pants if needed
.Merino beanie
.Ball cap
.Smartwool Merino fingerless gloves
.Smartwool glassing mitts
.Smartwool light socks
.Crispi Nevada boots

Jbxl20

WKR
If your badlands works for you with 50-60lbs good for you but I would start hiking now!

Spend money on good boots and a good pack!
Get the boots broke in and the pack adjusted and fitted right then use your money to budget for other gear.
I use an EXO 6400, After the initial fit and adjustments, I have zero complaints. 60-70lbs no problems
Pants-If you have money left after the pack and boots for Sitka ascents, kuiu attacks or FL corrugate guides great! if not wear the $20 wranglers. Personally, I like the attacks because of the hip vents but if someone told me I had to wear wranglers for archery elk I wouldn’t be upset about it. I have a pair and regularly wear them.
- base layers. I have kuiu and first lite merino. Kuiu is fine but I prefer the first lite. (I like my wik hoody)
- zip off baselayer pants are a game changer.
- mid layer. I like the kuiu 240 full zip hoody or strong fleece 260.
- get a puffy jacket ( I use an Eddie Bauer)
- puffy pants ( I use black ovis brand)
- rain jacket
- darn tough socks
- exofficio boxers
- merino beanie
- light gloves
-belt (pants stretch out after 10 days)
- gaiters.

Good luck.

aidan_downey

Lil-Rokslider
The Kifaru is a bit out of my price range but the SG and EXO with their LEO discount are more inline with what I would spend. I have narrowed it down to the SG R3 5900 or Archer 6400 OR EXO K3. Which one would be better or are they all pretty equivalent.
First, thanks for your service. Both are good. I would say the lumbar pad on the exo is "better" meaning bigger, going to disperse weight more evenly/effectively and keep the pack from sliding down your ass. Best suggestion is from @Scoot try them both and send the one back that doesn't fit. To be honest walking around with 50 ish pounds ain't gonna do it to test a pack out. Put 75-80 in there. That's way more realistic of a weight when you're hauling an elk out, especially if your are backpacking in. Honestly it's probably going to be closer to 100 with all your gear and food and one hind quarter... If not more.

This was my bull from this year. Over 120 pounds easily. Two quarters (front and back boned out + some scrap) my day gear (30lbs ish with spotter and water as there was literally none in this country) and then his head which was right at 26lbs for 5.5 miles. Kifaru didn't carry the weight for me, but it made it so I could walk the next day and not feel any overly tight spots.... And I didn't even backpack in.

received_4626104807434415.jpeg

Last edited:

EVD

FNG
Damn you have that well packed and sitting nice and high on the hips!

Advice for OP:
Wear your pack like this man.
I've used an Exo for 7 years now and like it. Both for camping and hauling out.
Agree on getting good boots and breaking in both boots and feet before season (using Scarpas)
Many days in Sept I'm in the lightest weight long sleeve top (Kuiu 125 merino, first lite, Sitka)
Jacket over this to start the day, ideally with pit zips (Kuiu guide jacket)
Pants can be whatever works, olive hiking pants probably as good as camo (sitka, kuiu, first lite)
Couple days a season a pair of zip off long underwear under the pants (kuiu zip-offs)
Rain gear doesn't need to be camo, don't typically need it often in CO (I used a $100 marmot rain jacket for 3 years). Probably only carry a rain jacket 20% of the time.
A puffy is nice for lightweight insulation
Trying out a vest this year for those in between temps where a jacket is too much, but still a little chilly in lightweight top
Prepare for cooler mornings (30s-50s), hot afternoons (70s-80s) with a good chance of a couple days of 20s-30s and wet snow and rain. The latter tend to catch me off guard.

hunting1

WKR
I would not stay home if the badlands was all I had. I packed a young bull out on a 2200 and it was hard but did it. Now older and wiser I have Kifaru's, Kuiu, MR, etc. The KUIU is solid and affordable. My pant choice is the Attack pants. I love the hip vents and merino next to skin. Layers are key or usually cool mornings and warm afternoons. Rain storms can go from 65 to 35 degrees so rain gear is weight but necessary. Lots of good socks, change out half day and well worn boots. Have fun!

EVD

FNG
My pant choice is the Attack pants. I love the hip vents and merino next to skin.

Yes, my favorite pant for that reason alone! Also like the way the pockets position better than with my Sitkas.

Pit zips on the jacket, hip vents on the pants, and light merino shirt for most days in September in CO.

For me its all about having all the clothing i may need in the truck from hot weather to downright miserable wet cold and snowy weather. And part of that is layering.

My layering "system" is nothing fancy or expensive. I've been able to catch the sales at XGO and buy for reasonable prices. (American made Berry Compliant too) i've got multi-cam lightweight hoodys and vest from them too for warm weather. The layers should be considered equally important to the high dollar Mountain Pant or Attack Pant or Kelvin jackets or whatever it is a guy has for camo clothing.

Good boots a must. For me its the Meindl Comfort Fit Hunter and i won't look back. Pick your brand of choice.

Sleep system. Dont put your trust on the r value rating system. That is a joke. For me, I like to be warm! If I'm lucky and draw the Gila, a Sea to Summit Etherlight pad and my good ole 20 degree Marmot bag may be the ticket. But for Colorado where you never know what the temps will be and most likely in the 20's or 30's overnight where i like to camp and hunt? I take the weight penalty and use my Exped 9LW and zero degree Slickbag. I hate being cold! And the Copper Spur has been a great tent!

When i see questions about packs it takes me back to the day i killed my first bull in the Gila in 2012 while i was sporting a Badlands pack. On my second load out 3 miles from the truck, a shoulder strap came apart, so i had to carry quarters the old fashion way. Not to mention i was in pain from just packing 1 quarter out in that pack. For me there is only 1 choice on packs.

Other than some stuff i put together my self for daily carbs, i will never eat another Mountain House unless its all there is. Peak Refuel's for me. Better taste and less sodium which means i use less water. And in the backcountry, the less water i have to haul, the more energy i have to hunt. God i love hunting elk in the backcountry with my bow and arrow!

OP
M

mww982

WKR
Well, I contacted Badlands and returning that pack. Ended up ordering the Exo 4800 and a few of their accessories for it. There's a Duck's unlimited event going on this weekend and Kuiu is going to have a trailer out there. So I am going to go out there and check out their gear and hopefully try some stuff on for fit.

reaperukon

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve tried all the different brands for clothes. Kuiu, FirstLite, Sitka, a couple pieces from Pnuma and Kings as well as some other random items from other mfgs. After spending way too much in the long run I’m sure of a couple things. #1 You get what you pay for. Cheap equipment/clothes still kill elk all day long, but if you are backpacking in it comes down to comfort/performance per ounce. The more you get in one category costs you more in the long run. The lower the performance—> less it will generally cost. There’s sales out there that lower the price, but it still hurts when you place that order.
Ex: cabelas jacket that was supposed to be waterproof and was but had zero breathability vs waterproof rain gear from Sitka that I could hike in and still stay reasonably dry in a good downpour. Or a big Agnes bag that was 10F vs the 10F enlighted equipment bag with down fill. Packs are another easy example as you’ve already heard from a few folks. I prefer EXO or my Initial Ascent bag. When I had a Kuiu there were things I didn’t like (too many pockets and straps) and it squeaked like crazy. For me it didn’t carry well. Others swear by it. I can haul 50lbs like it was 25lbs in either of the other two and hike all week. Heavy the initial ascent shines with its more rigid backbone. I’ve had 100lbs in it on a decent trail back to the truck.

2. A quality piece of clothing or equipment is well made and lasts you more than a season or two.

Case in point: I’ve got a pair of pro pants from Kuiu that are going on their 4th season. I usually hunt a week of spring bear, early archery elk a week to 12 days, and October Muleys. I usually use the same pant and just layer it. It’s got knee pads (more useful than you would think), side vents with mesh to keep the crap out , and plenty of pockets. They have a few signs of wearing out and probably getting replaced next season.

Find a few pieces through the forum that are being resold and try those out. You should be able to find them at a good discount. That’s what I did starting out. Resold a few along the way.

Kuiu is expensive, but I feel it is more feature filled than the stuff from FirstLite. I do like the rain gear from FirstLite and i have two of their Nemo bags that my boys use.

Sitka I just can’t get behind because of the cost and I swear it starts breaking down sooner than later.

Kuiu is very much an athletic built sized line. Most everything, except pants, I have in a size bigger than what I would normally wear.
Things I’d get for a back country hunt from them:
- pro pant
- zip off merino bottoms
- merino 145 hooded 1/4 zip shirt
- super down ultra hooded jacket
- Kutana storm shell jacket
- Yukon gaiters

- FIRSTLITE merino boxers (these were a game changer for me)
- merino socks from anyone you like (darn tough and smart wool are great) 2 pairs.
- synthetic sock liners (never had a hot spot with these) Pack two pairs and swap them out.

That’s plenty clothes wise imho. My whole kit with 4 days of food is 43lbs. No water in that weight. Good luck figuring out your hunt. Hope this helps!

OP
M

mww982

WKR
So here is what I have narrowed it down to: Which would add or leave off from here?

Base Layer:
Kuiu Ultra Merino 125 Long Sleeve SS and LS
Kuiu Ultra Merino 145 Zip-T
Kuiu Ultra Merino 125 Zip Off Pants
Fist Lite Wick Boxers
Minus 33 Liner Socks
Darn Tough Midweight Socks

Mid Layer:
Peleton 200 Zip-T Hoodie
Peleton 97 Fleece Zip Top Hoodie
Peleton 240 Full Zip
Peleton 240 Vest

Rain Gear\Insulation:
Badlands Bail Rain Gear
Sitka Kelvin Light Down Jacket
Sitka Kelvin Light Down Pant

Pants:
Kuiu Pro
Kuiu Attacks

Boots:
Crispi Briksdals

Pack:
Exo Mtn Gear 4800

Here’s what I have already;

First Lite Wick LS
First Lite Fuse LS and Pant
Crispi Boots
Minus 33 Socks
Exo Pack
Badlands Rain Gear

Last edited:
On the pants… Ascent in my opinion is just too light. I say that not because of the weight but because of durability. I’d go the opposite direction and get the Timberlines. Basically the same as the Mountain Pants but with waterproof knees and seat AND built in removable knee pads. Priceless. And IMO they are not too warm for archery season. None of those pants are very warm at all in fact. I’d also take a really good look at the Jetstream jacket. If I had to pick a single piece of versatile outerwear that would be it. Pit and chest zip vents for letting out heat and perspiration. A hood for when you need it. Add an insulating layer like a Kelvin vest or jacket underneath and you’ll be ready for a wide variety of conditions.

reaperukon

Lil-Rokslider
So here is what I have narrowed it down to: Which would add or leave off from here?

Base Layer:
Kuiu Ultra Merino 125 Long Sleeve SS and LS
Kuiu Ultra Merino 125 Zip Off Pants
Fist Lite Wick Boxers
Minus 33 Liner Socks
Darn Tough Midweight Socks

Mid Layer:
Peleton 200 Zip-T Hoodie
Peleton 97 Fleece Zip Top Hoodie
Peleton 240 Full Zip
Peleton 240 Vest

Rain Gear\Insulation:
Badlands Bail Rain Gear
Sitka Kelvin Light Down Jacket
Sitka Kelvin Light Down Pant

Pants:
Kuiu Pro
Kuiu Attacks

Boots:
Crispi Briksdals

Pack:
Exo Mtn Gear 4800

Here’s what I have already;

First Lite Wick LS
First Lite Fuse LS and Pant
Crispi Boots
Minus 33 Socks
Exo Pack
Badlands Rain Gear

Just my 2cents here.
Outer/insulated layer: Sitka down jacket is double the weight of the Kuiu super down ultra. That ultra jacket packs into its own pocket and doubles as an extra pillow for me. Get a puffy you like and call it good. If you got time go give Brian Call
and he gives some ideas on Kuiu gear.

Baselayer: Don’t worry about a T shirt. If you did a SS Merino that could work, but I’ve found I never needed it. Wear the merino LS day and night. If you get hot, roll sleeves up and unzip. You’ll be surprised how good it breathes/feels. Never stinks. Still warm when wet. I’ve used just that in an October hunt when it snowed. I was sweating like crazy and wet from the snow. Still stayed warm. Throw the puffy over it and you’ll dry out quick. Need extra wind protection you can throw the rain jacket over it all and bake.

I’d get the 125 merino LS zip T with hood and see what you think. I like it in summer early fall for the sun protection.

Rain gear and other insulated gear: if you have the badlands jacket keep it. If you don’t, I’d go with the Kutana or if you can find any of the older Kuiu Yukon rain gear it was great and fairly well priced/light weight. For the weight the kutana jacket may get you enough waterproofing and extra insulation to not even pack a rain jacket. It definitely gives some extra warmth and wind breaking.

The only time I’ve wanted rain pants is being horseback in the rain. When hiking it matters very little.

I’ve taken puffy pants and rain pants but never used them. If you have those pro pants and the merino zip off bottoms you’ll be more than warm enough, even if it snows. I hunted the uintas in 18” of snow early September and used the Kutana jacket over my merino and that was it.

I think the rest of your gear is spot on.

OP
M

mww982

WKR
I know I am overthinking this, but that's what I do. Here's what I'm about to pull the trigger on and what I already own. Anything else clothing wise I should add or subtract before I place the order? Will be a 5-7 day trip early to mid September in Colorado.

Base Layers:
First Lite Wick Boxers
Minus 33 Liner Socks- Already Have
Mid Weight Wool Socks- Need to see what I have
First Lite Wick Long Sleeve-Already Have
Fist Lite Fuse Long Sleeve- Already Have
Kuiu Ultra Merino Zip Off Bottoms
Kuiu Ultra Merino 125 LS

Mid\Outer Layer
Kuiu Strong Fleece 210 Hybrid
Peloton 240 Full Zip Up (Going to use as a jacket in lieu of a soft shell
Super Down Ultra Puffy
Super Down Ultra Puffy

Pants
Kuiu Attacks
Kuiu Pros

Rain Gear
Badlands Bail Rain Gear- Already Have

Boots
Crispi Briksdalls- Already Have

Pack
Exo Mountain Gear 4800- Already Have

Tent
Mountain Star 2 with Footprint- Already Have

Sleep System- Already Have
Klymit KSB 15 Sleeping Bag
Klymit Recon V Insulated Sleeping Pad
Klymit Luxe Pillow

fatlander

WKR
I know I am overthinking this, but that's what I do. Here's what I'm about to pull the trigger on and what I already own. Anything else clothing wise I should add or subtract before I place the order? Will be a 5-7 day trip early to mid September in Colorado.

Base Layers:
First Lite Wick Boxers
Minus 33 Liner Socks- Already Have
Mid Weight Wool Socks- Need to see what I have
Buy farm to feet or darn tough. You need two or three pairs
First Lite Wick Long Sleeve-Already Have
Fist Lite Fuse Long Sleeve- Already Have
Kuiu Ultra Merino Zip Off Bottoms
In all honesty, you probably won’t need these.
Kuiu Ultra Merino 125 LS
You don’t need this since you have the FL
You don’t need this since you have the FL

Mid\Outer Layer
Kuiu Strong Fleece 210 Hybrid
You don’t need two outer layers, pick this or the 240
Peloton 240 Full Zip Up (Going to use as a jacket in lieu of a soft shell
You don’t need two outer layers. Pick this or the fleece.
Super Down Ultra Puffy
Super Down Ultra Puffy
You only need one puffy If these are puffy pants, you don’t need them for a September elk hunt.

Pants
Kuiu Attacks
You only need one pair of pants
Kuiu Pros
You only need one pair of pants

Rain Gear
Badlands Bail Rain Gear- Already Have

Boots
Crispi Briksdalls- Already Have

Pack
Exo Mountain Gear 4800- Already Have

Tent
Mountain Star 2 with Footprint- Already Have

Sleep System- Already Have
Klymit KSB 15 Sleeping Bag
Klymit Recon V Insulated Sleeping Pad
Buy a better sleeping pad
Klymit Luxe Pillow

I went through and wrote under the stuff that you don’t need.

You need a pair of light pair gloves and lightweight beanie

You don’t need doubles of stuff. You also should get a better sleeping pad, I’ve been there with the klymit static v and there are much better options. Thermarest neoair, nemo tensor, and sea to summit comfort plus are all heads and tails better.

I said this above and I’ll say it again. Gear doesn’t find elk. And you can’t kill elk you don’t find. You don’t need doubles of gear to find elk. You need to cover country and then hunt effectively.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
M

mww982

WKR
I went through and wrote under the stuff that you don’t need.

You need a pair of light pair gloves and lightweight beanie

You don’t need doubles of stuff. You also should get a better sleeping pad, I’ve been there with the klymit static v and there are much better options. Thermarest neoair, nemo tensor, and sea to summit comfort plus are all heads and tails better.

I said this above and I’ll say it again. Gear doesn’t find elk. And you can’t kill elk you don’t find. You don’t need doubles of gear to find elk. You need to cover country and then hunt effectively.

Good luck.

Yes the second puffy was pants. Would you add a soft shell jacket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fatlander

WKR
Yes the second puffy was pants. Would you add a soft shell jacket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No. For it’s overkill for September and most of October on an elk hunt. You’re going to be moving a lot, you simply don’t need it. If it’s that cold/windy out your puffy and rain jacket on.

EVD

FNG
Are you doing a backcountry trip? Thinking maybe so based on the tent/ sleep system. If so, how much will all this weigh? What are you doing for water, etc. Agree with not needing the puffy pants, don't think I've ever used em in Sept.

If you going any distance in to camp, start looking at overall weight.