First Lite Underwear
Socks\Liners
Gaiters

In Pack:
Boxers x 2
Socks\Liners x 2
Kuiu Ultra Merino 145 1/4 zip shirt
Kuiu 145 Zip off long johns
Peloton 118 Shirt (bringing to see if I like better than the Merino 125)
Peloton 97 Hoodie
Peloton 240 Full Zip (bringing just in case)
Kuiu Talus Hybrid Pants or Kuiu Attacks (Do I really need two pair of pants?)
Puffy Gear
Rain Gear
Gloves
Beanie

Last edited:
I may have had really good weather, but I wore a Kuiu merino zip t hoodie every day with REI merino base layers and 5.11 pants. Threw on a puffy (REI also) for mornings and glassing sessions.

Something worth mentioning for your hike in. I personally want to keep the stink out of my hunting clothes as long as possible, so I always hike in in a pair of lightweight quick-dry shorts and a wicking t-shirt. They go into a bag in my pack when I get to my first camp/ glassing spot. I gets hot as hell in September, so the more I can reduce my sweating the better. If it's crazy hot, sometimes I just hunt in my shorts..

OP
M

mww982

WKR
Something worth mentioning for your hike in. I personally want to keep the stink out of my hunting clothes as long as possible, so I always hike in in a pair of lightweight quick-dry shorts and a wicking t-shirt. They go into a bag in my pack when I get to my first camp/ glassing spot. I gets hot as hell in September, so the more I can reduce my sweating the better. If it's crazy hot, sometimes I just hunt in my shorts..
I was planning on only wearing the hiking clothes for the hike in and out. I'd relegate them to back up clothes if needed.

staehlej

FNG
I can't say enough about the Sitka Apex pant for September elk. Silent, lightweight, and comfortable.

I own the Kuiu attacks, Sitka mountain, Prana Zion, and the Apex pants always get the nod.

I can't say enough about the Sitka Apex pant for September elk. Silent, lightweight, and comfortable.

I own the Kuiu attacks, Sitka mountain, Prana Zion, and the Apex pants always get the nod.
I don't suppose you'd be able to compare the Apex to the Kutana Stretch would you? I'm sure you would've mentioned them if you had them. I love the Kutana's and really want to try the Apex as well.

staehlej

FNG
@ScreamingPotato I have not tried the Kutana Stretch pant. They are on my list to try. I did just pick up the Fjallraven abisko lites. Appeal for me is the fully open side zips vs Kuiu which have side zips but they have a mesh liner that restricts how far they open.

KnuckleChild

Lil-Rokslider
Here's what I have landed on for clothing for early September Colorado:

Wearing In:
First Lite Corrugated Guide Pants or Kuiu Attack Pants
Kuiu Ultra Merino 125
First Lite Underwear
Socks\Liners
Gaiters

In Pack:
Boxers x 2
Socks\Liners x 2
Kuiu Ultra Merino 145 1/4 zip shirt
Kuiu 145 Zip off long johns
Peloton 118 Shirt (bringing to see if I like better than the Merino 125)
Peloton 97 Hoodie
Peloton 240 Full Zip (bringing just in case)
Kuiu Talus Hybrid Pants or Kuiu Attacks (Do I really need two pair of pants?)
Puffy Gear
Rain Gear
Gloves
Beanie
I’m not sure how long you’re going in, and YMMV, but 3 pairs of underwear and socks, two pairs of pants and 4 (if I’m counting right) base layer tops is probably more than necessary.

In general this was my list:

Merino base layer
Merino shirt
One spare skivvy
5.11 pants
Three pairs socks (one for sleep only and two to rotate on days)
Puffy
Light rain gear
Beanie
Gloves

That’s good for about 5-6 days. Start getting ripe after that.

Going on an elk hunt in September in Colorado and looking like I am going to need to upgrade some of my hunting clothes. Specifically pants, most of my hunting clothing now is scentlok stuff I've had for a while, which have suited me well for turkey and deer hunting. I have a First Lite Wick long sleeve shirt already and the fuse base layers top and bottoms already. Here's what I am looking at getting and I'm not necessarily looking to stick to one brand.

First Lite-
-Kiln Long Boxers
-Wick Boot Height Base Layer Pants
-Klamath Hoody
-Corrugated Foundry Pant

Sitka-
-Kelvin Aerolite Jacket
-Mountain Pant

Also interested in some of the Kuiu stuff but not sure on pant sizing, but they will be at an expo near me this week so I can try them on before ordering. If I go Kuiu I would most likely stick with them for everything, except base layers since I am digging the Vias pattern for deer and big game. Reminds me of an old school pattern. This is what I am looking at in their lines.
-Super down ultra jacket
-Axis Vest (not sure if this is needed)
-Pro Merino 200 Zip T
-Pro Merino 200 Zip T Hoddie
-Attack Pants
-Pro Pants

Am I on the right track or completely off with these choices? Which would you leave off, which would you buy? Any other recommendations?
I love love love attack pants. My personal favorite. I'm a 34 or 36 waist depending on cut and went 36, love them. If I could only have one pant to wear for rhe rest of my life for all seasons and pursuit it would be attack pants. I wear them down to 30 with a 200 GSM merino base and up to 80s with the hip zips open. Love them. Can't say it enough.

I have a pro merino 200.
Honestly, it's nice for wearing to work. It looks good in the office and it's super comfy.

It's not warm. It's highly breathable. It's comfortable. It fits great, and has long sleeves for my gorilla arms. I have a size xl. I'm a large or xl in everything. If you want a warm mid layer, this isn't it. It's not as warm as my core heavy hoody, but I really enjoy it. Not sure I'd run it elk hunting. I'll watch the durability and see. With how comfortable it is, I'd buy more of them next time they're on sale just for wearing to work.

I have a bunch of stuff now. I'm apparently a gear whore and I love trying it all out.

OP
M

mww982

WKR
Here's where I am at now:

Pack:
Exo Mountain Gear 6400

Sleep:
Kuiu Mountain Star 2P
Feathered Friends Swift UL 20 degree bag
STS Ether Lite XT Sleeping Pad
Klymit Luxe Pillow

Headwear
Kuiu Icon BB Hall
Peloton 97 Beanie

Gloves
Kuiu Strongfleece 220
SKRE Deadfall (if cold while glassing)

Pants
Kuiu Attacks (Wearing in)

Base\Mid Layers
First Lite Wick SS (Wearing in)
Kuiu Ultra Merino 145 LS (Wearing in)
Kuiu Ultra Merino 125 LS (for sleeping)
Peloton 97 Hoodie
Peloton 240 Full Zip Non-Hooded

Misc. Clothing
Underwear, socks, and sock liners (2-3 pairs ea.)
Puffy Gear (Kings Camo Down Transition Jacket and Pants(
Rain Gear (Some Badlands stuff I already had)
Crispi Briksdals
Gaitors

bbkick25

FNG
Prana Zions, some of the thicker 511 pants, even have some Eddie Bauer pants from Costco that were real cheap that have done great in September. Just watch the weather and be open to making a final decision based on the forecast for your area. You’ll have all these suggestions and plans and then boom, a chance of snow shows up and changes everything.

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
Still too many shirts. I take a 145 merino and a 200 fleece for 5 or 6 days. I might add a really light poly T for early September warmth. I doubt youll need puffy pants in September. We use our rain gear for additional pant layer if glassing. I do always carry puffy coat though.

reaperukon

Lil-Rokslider
My curiosity is killing me. How did it go? What did you think of it last year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk