Clothing is Confusing...

Rfurman24
To a new elk hunter. What would you have as a jacket if you had to choose. Early season and November .one for eacch. Who’s and why?. Most of the first timers have a great gear list on Rokslide. I am working on mine. Hence the jacket question for my 16 year old and myself. Sorry to hijack the thread.

OP
K

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
Rfurman24
To a new elk hunter. What would you have as a jacket if you had to choose. Early season and November .one for eacch. Who’s and why?. Most of the first timers have a great gear list on Rokslide. I am working on mine. Hence the jacket question for my 16 year old and myself. Sorry to hijack the thread.

Not a problem. Im interested to hear as well.

Rfurman24

The reason “base, mid, puffy, shell” is repeated on here so many times is that it’s very versatile without carrying a bunch of extra stuff. My setup is a Smartwool extra light weight merino top, North Face micro fleece that blocks a decent amount of wind while still breathing well, KUIU Kenai synthetic puffy, and KUIU Ultra NX rain jacket.

If it’s above 40 and I’m moving, the base layer is all I need. If you’re moving slowly and it’s cool or shady/windy, the fleece works great. The synthetic puffy is awesome when you’re sitting for awhile or moving before dark when it’s really cold, but it doesn’t block the wind great by itself. The rain jacket takes care of that as well as early season showers, and all 4 items together should keep you warm enough when it’s completely miserable.

Obviously what items you choose depend on your hunting style and how hot or cold blooded you are.

tttoadman

WKR
My clothing follows the basic principle. I am also a little cold all the time. I am able to stay warm other than very long sitting anytime of year.
bottoms:
1. merino boxers
2. merino full bottoms
3. midweight pants
4. I wear my gaiters almost all the time
5. Rainpants: fjallraven ECO-SHELL trousers

Tops:
1. merino 1/4 zip top
2. Jetstream Lite jacket (super light and windproof)
3. Kelvin lite vest (early, mid, late)
4. Arcteryx thorium puffy (mid and late only)
5. balaclava. amazing how this thing takes the edge off in cold and windy weather
6. Outdoor Research Skyward rain shell

If I get cold, I wear my rain gear. All of this is lightweight, and is great for layering throughout the day.

OP
K

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
My clothing follows the basic principle. I am also a little cold all the time. I am able to stay warm other than very long sitting anytime of year.
bottoms:
1. merino boxers
2. merino full bottoms
3. midweight pants

Tops:
1. merino 1/4 zip top
5. balaclava. amazing how this thing takes the edge off in cold and windy weather

If I get cold, I wear my rain gear. All of this is lightweight, and is great for layering throughout the day.

What weight merino do you wear in rifle season?

FURMAN

WKR
My layer system always starts with a merino upper and lower base layer. I prefer first lite. Then I wear a soft-shell pant. My favorites are Kuiu Attack and First lite Corrugate Guide Pant. If I expect the weather to be cool I will pack my Uncompahgre Puffy Pant. I like them better than the Kuiu. If I anticipate rain I will bring rain pants and the vegetation will dictate which pair I bring. For uppers I will bring my Peloton 240 and/or kenai. If cold is expected I will bring my Lost Park Parka and if rain is expected I will bring a rain shell. Again the rain shell will be swapped depending on vegetation. I am big into glassing and I hate cold. So to answer the question I would make sure my base layers are situated and I am currently running the Lost Park Parka full zip. It is more sturdy than most puffys and has an excellent warmth to weight ratio. There are better warmth to weight ratio jackets but they will rip if a thorn winks at them.

*zap*

WKR
If you have not tried the serki pcu level 1 base layers that have 3% silver fiber in the material (says so on label) do yourself a favor and try some. Boxers with somewhat long leg, t shirt, long bottoms and 1/4 zip tops....All synthetic and no smell. Dries very well and does a good job of passing moisture thru to other layers (I wear all those 4 as bottom layer's). Very light material. Fairly inexpensive if you look on ebay and look good/wait. I have purchased it for $10-$20 per, probably 5 full sets. Get long if your over 5'10". The sizes run pretty true but it fits tight.
Frankly I like it better than light merino for any temps as a bottom layer if I am going to be aerobically active and then sitting or just aerobically active. Have worn the same set for 3-4 ruck hikes in a row in cold or warm and they do not stink and I am a sweater, well not an actual sweater but I sweat a lot....lol...... The silver really works. Much better than the polartec silkweight stuff, puts it to shame. Really cannot beat it for the $ as a bottom layer. A moisture free bottom layer is key for me in anything but hot temps....hot temps and I am going to be wet no matter what unless I am in the ac or sitting under a shade tree all day long. This stuff may be as good as it gets other than very light merino and it may be on par with very light merino.

Last edited:

tttoadman

WKR
bottoms:
1. merino boxers
2. merino full bottoms
3. midweight pants

Tops:
1. merino 1/4 zip top

What weight merino do you wear in rifle season?
all I have is 190wt bottoms
my top is the 2590 that C4E made before they left.

OLI62

FNG
My layer system always starts with a merino upper and lower base layer. I prefer first lite. Then I wear a soft-shell pant. My favorites are Kuiu Attack and First lite Corrugate Guide Pant. If I expect the weather to be cool I will pack my Uncompahgre Puffy Pant. I like them better than the Kuiu. If I anticipate rain I will bring rain pants and the vegetation will dictate which pair I bring. For uppers I will bring my Peloton 240 and/or kenai. If cold is expected I will bring my Lost Park Parka and if rain is expected I will bring a rain shell. Again the rain shell will be swapped depending on vegetation. I am big into glassing and I hate cold. So to answer the question I would make sure my base layers are situated and I am currently running the Lost Park Parka full zip. It is more sturdy than most puffys and has an excellent warmth to weight ratio. There are better warmth to weight ratio jackets but they will rip if a thorn winks at them.

What rain shell's are you running?

FURMAN

WKR
What rain shell's are you running?

I have used Sitka(multiple), Kuiu(multiple), and now have anSEAK Stormtight and Vapor Stormlight Ultralight. I will use the stormlight if i expect little rain or the vegetation is lighter. I will use the storm tight if the vegetation is rougher.

MTForester

Lil-Rokslider
If you are not stuck on camo, this site will save (or cost haha) you a lot of money: Access Denied

I am wearing an Arcteryx Alpha FL hardshell that I got for $150 last year. Haven't seen anything from Sitka/Kuiu that is worth the extra money to me.

SWOHTR

WKR
Do you run hot and sweat easily? If yes, trend towards lighter weight items. If no, go heavier.

Always take rain gear...a cold front could very well end you if you don’t have it.

I’ve been served well with core s/s tee, UA boxerjocks, ascent pants, traverse zip tee, 90% jacket, and rain gear. This is between 4-7k in September.

Point being, know how your personal “thermostat” is set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
K

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
Alright. Here is where I have landed. Instead of a heavier Down jacket, I went with my lightweight Kuiu and Im adding a Kelvin Lite vest. So here is the system I think Ill run with. Probably a little warm for some, but agian, I run pretty cold.

Worn:
Base Top- Sitka Core Midweight T
Mid Top- Sitka Traverse Zip T
Base Bottom: Smartwool Lightweight
Pants - Sitka Timberline

Packed:
Top Insulation: Kuiu Super Ultra Down Hoody (8.2oz)
Top Insulation: Kelvin Lite Vest (10,7oz)
Bottom Insulation: Kuiu Ultra Merino 210 (8.40z)
Rain Jacket: Golite Tumalo (11.4oz)
Rain Pants: Golite Tumalo (9.6oz)

Am I getting closer? lol

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
You must run super cold, I would smother trying to hike in that mid weight sitka base layer lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Alright. Here is where I have landed. Instead of a heavier Down jacket, I went with my lightweight Kuiu and Im adding a Kelvin Lite vest. So here is the system I think Ill run with. Probably a little warm for some, but agian, I run pretty cold.

Worn:
Base Top- Sitka Core Midweight T
Mid Top- Sitka Traverse Zip T
Base Bottom: Smartwool Lightweight
Pants - Sitka Timberline

Packed:
Top Insulation: Kuiu Super Ultra Down Hoody (8.2oz)
Top Insulation: Kelvin Lite Vest (10,7oz)
Bottom Insulation: Kuiu Ultra Merino 210 (8.40z)
Rain Jacket: Golite Tumalo (11.4oz)
Rain Pants: Golite Tumalo (9.6oz)

Am I getting closer? lol

I think you are pretty close now. Only changes will be to account for weather at the time of the hunt and location. I would have your core lightweight, Jetstream jacket along and ready to switch out depending on conditions. You can probably drop one of your Merino base layers either way unless you plan to glass a lot or it’s going to be in the 20-30’s and windy. I regularly hike in a Merino long sleeve and Peloton 240 so I don’t think the core midweight is too heavy for some temps it could be for others.

Lowke01

Lil-Rokslider
Speaking of hiking in your Jetstream, I don't think that will be possible unless it is super cold. I think you could hunt in it, meaning slower movement, but hiking in the morning or after dark to get from point a to point b is likely to over heat you with that kind of jacket on so expect to be carrying it in those situations.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk