Clothing Layering System for Septmember Colorado or Montana archery hunt

renagde

WKR
Looking to get your opinion on my layering system. First time going, will be hunting for 2 weeks mid September in Colorado doing a backcountry elk backpack hunt. This is my list of clothes that I've accumulated, what's your thoughts?

Wear in:
Trucker hat
REI mid weight wool top
Sitka Mountain Pants
Wool boxers
Darn tough socks
Lowa boots
Gaiters

Pack in:
Extra pair of socks
Extra pair of boxers
First Lite wool beanie
First Lite Chama hoodie
First Lite Allegheny bottoms
Kuiu Super down jacket
Kuiu Guide Vest
Sitka Dewpoint Raingear set

What am I missing? The other question I had is, what would I need to add to do a Montana hunt? I have buddies hunting in Montana and I'm already thinking towards next year

An extra bandanna or two. Lots of uses besides headgear or a scarf.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
You are more than good in my opinion. I would ditch the Alleghany bottoms. They will be way too hot to wear during the day when you are moving, and you can throw your rain pants on when you are sitting still to keep the wind out.

I personally like having one bandanna and a small neck gaiter (Kuiu merino) in my back pocket of my pants. I also wear a pair of super lightweight merino gloves for a tiny bit of protection on my hands.

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
Thanks for the replies. I am debating ditching the REI Wool top for a First Lite Llano short sleeve or Sitka equivalent. I will look into a bandana

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
One thing to maybe keep in mind is for the possibility of snow or cold weather. Hasn't been common over the past several years, but it's been in the 40's when I've woken up some the past few weeks at home at 6300 feet. Denver set a new all-time record low for the date a few days ago. By the middle of September who knows what you could get.

I have slimmed my clothes down to a manageable system and my back and shoulders thanked me.
I use a Merino base top and bottom. Then a decent pant like the Kanab 2.0. That's all I bring for the bottom.
The Top is also a Merino base, then a Chama hoody and a Sawtooth.

This keeps me warm while walking and short sits.

Its been low 40's here and rainy and I have been just perfect in this system

If it gets 10 degrees colder I throw on my puffy that is always in my pack. If it drops even more,
I always have the rain top in there too, and use it over the puffy.

I haven't done 2 weeks, or I would add additional underwear and socks and another base top.

I personally ditched my vest.

Its all personal preference to some degree.