clothing recomendations

T3clay

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for some new clothing for this upcoming deer season, I'm looking for a jacket and bibs/pant. I typically hunt Minnesota Oct. 25- mid November. temps as low as 0* potentially.

I typically hike In and add my.outer layer after I get to the stand.

features I'm looking for in this order are
1 warmth
2 not too bulky/baggy
3 quiet

I have a budget of $400 for the set. right now kryptek vellus is up there on the list but I don't know ifits warm enough to get me through the lower temps. also looking at Scheels antler river line. any other suggestions?

update, also interested in reviews on Kryptek Aegis

Last edited:

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It may not fit your budget right now, but Sitka's Fanatic system is pretty tough to beat for temperatures from 30-0 degrees. It's not bulky and it's extremely quiet and warm. It may be something that you would be able to piece together throughout the next few years! If you were to go that route, we would recommend grabbing the bibs to start and then adding the jacket at a later date if your budget allows you to do so. Happy hunting!

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
Have you seen the reviews posted on this site? There is a review on the majority of the Kryptek lines out there right now. Follow the link below for the Aegis review and from there you should be able to find the other reviews.

Whitetaildown215

Lil-Rokslider
I would have to agree on the Sitka fanatic line. I’ve also heard good things about the first lite sanctuary. Even though they are both over the $400 budget you have set. I’m hoping more people chime in on the kryptek stuff because I would like to get a set of their cold weather gear in highlander for coyote hunting here in the Midwest. To many browns around here to use Sitka open country and elevated 2 hunting dogs on the ground.

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered the Krypted Njord vest. Sitka was too pricey for me this go around, I know it is great stuff though. I will give some feedback once it gets here. I am planning to run it with base layers and the soft shell I currently have. I won't see temps down to 0 though.
Jared, who did the Kryptek review for Rokslide, was very helpful in his reviews. What helped me a lot was that he included things like, "I would use this for X style of hunting down to about y degrees."

WCB

WKR
I have heard good things about the Fanatic set. Agree get the bibs first...good long john top, fleece mid layer and wind breaker sweater will go along ways on top.

If you can't afford some of the options #1 thing to focus on IMO is cutting the wind.

OP
T

T3clay

Lil-Rokslider
thanks for the replies so far, anyone have any experience with Scheels antler river stuff? that's another option.

I hunt Northern Wisconsin and Michigans UP and was in the same situation you are in a few years ago. I decided to go with the Sitka Fanatic bids and moisture wicking upper with windstopper jacket for the first year and added the jacket the following year. I am now 100% sold on the Sitka system. I am no longer cold when on stand in the cold.
Do yourself a favor and figure out how to either buy in stages or save to buy it all at one time. Either way you do it you will be happy.

The Sitka stuff is legit, no doubt, and I have the Incinerator hat and their neck gaiter. But for bibs I have had the Cabela's MT050 Whitetail Extreme Gore-tex Bibs for several years and they're well made and keep me warm in cold Wisconsin conditions. For jacket I have a windproof parka from Day One Camo and it's features are simply perfect: great pockets, awesome neck blocker for wind, and most importantly dead quiet. I prefer to layer with a down jacket under it in the real cold sits. It may not be sleek and form-fitting like the Sitka, First Lite, Kuiu, etc., but it's just made so well. My camo patterns don't match but the deer don't seem to mind.

thanks for the replies so far, anyone have any experience with Scheels antler river stuff? that's another option.
Looks like some decent stuff! Scheels has free returns I think. Snag one up and try it out. I'd be curious how you like it.

tsm213

FNG
I live in Saskatchewan and hunt late season. Quite often it’s -25 c. I gave up on all the cold weather stuff and got a heater body suit. I wear my Sitka fanatic vest over a couple layers for the walk in then put on the suit. . I couldn’t justify spending 1500 or more on cold weather clothes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would even consider taking a look at badlands clothing and watch for their 50% off sale. Another option is Cabelas berber fleece and wool which can be had pretty cheap on ebay.

greenomics

Lil-Rokslider
I like my First Lite woodbury jacket for cold Kansas sits. I don't mind wearing gently used gear. Think I bought it on the forum for a little over $100.

Codyk315

FNG
I have tried several different brands and finally bit the bullet and tried Sitka. I thought it was all hype so I held out for the longest time and it was stupid! It is well worth the money! I live and bowhunt in KS so finding something verstile and not bulky was hugely important to me as we can be 30 in the mornings, 60 in the afternoon, and then blowing and below freezing in the evening (its happened more than once!). It has already proven itself to me on multiple occasions and I won't be using anything else from now on.

PA 5-0

WKR
Cabelas Whitetail Extreme line is legit for stand hunting. Bibs are like wearing a sleeping bag. Up top, for range of movement and quietness, I wear the hooded Berber fleece pullover with the Windshear. With some quality merino wool base layers, all day sits in sub zero temps are child's play.

Jakerex

WKR
I too live in western PA and went through the same as you last year in deciding some new gear for stand hunting.

I ended up buying the Kryptek Vellus gear. It’s awesome. It’s warm. I sat in 10-15 windy, snowy, 10ish degree weather on multiple sits for 2 - 4 hours without any issues, or even beginning to feel cold. This stuff is nice and can be found for a lot less than the other brands, especially if you buy used.

Would I step up to the aegis if I had to do it again, I’m not sure. I don’t think there is any weather the vellus with a couple good layers underneath wouldn’t handle. But, not having to layer much might be a good benefit of the aegis. If the material is the same as the vellus, soft and quiet, and it’s only going to be used for stand hunting, and you can carry it in, maybe the aegis is you.

This chit gets hot if you’re walking in it. Or using a climber. Carry what you can. Even during rifle season, I wore it for the first half a day, but when I wanted to walk the second half, it had to all come off. Short, slow walks are ok.

It’s quiet, soft, and fits well. If something happened to my vellus stuff, I’d most definitely buy again.

Send me questions if you have them. Or post them....don’t think I can get PM yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maverick1

WKR
The Sitka stuff is legit, no doubt, and I have the Incinerator hat and their neck gaiter. But for bibs I have had the Cabela's MT050 Whitetail Extreme Gore-tex Bibs for several years and they're well made and keep me warm in cold Wisconsin conditions. For jacket I have a windproof parka from Day One Camo and it's features are simply perfect: great pockets, awesome neck blocker for wind, and most importantly dead quiet. I prefer to layer with a down jacket under it in the real cold sits. It may not be sleek and form-fitting like the Sitka, First Lite, Kuiu, etc., but it's just made so well. My camo patterns don't match but the deer don't seem to mind.
Which material do you have in the Day One camo? Cowboy suede or fleece?

Squirrels

WKR
Bang for the buck on mid/insulation layers I go Eddie Bauer First Ascent. ASAT leafy jacket over whatever I need underneath. I've got an EB fleece top and Ever Therm jacket that are blast-furnace warm and together are half the price of a Fanatic jacket. I bought a Fanatic for my adult daughter when she got into bow hunting and it is outstanding. I already had the EB gear so I couldn't justify it for myself.
I’d rather stop hunting than give EB another dime of my money after their CEO supported BLM so big from a corporate perspective.