Clothing recommendation

louisianahunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for recommendations for hunting clothes on a trip I'm planning. I've never been hunting outside of south Louisiana so I'm new to all this gear and frankly hunting in any conditions other than from a stand when it's 55. Plans are for a mule deer hunt in the first two week of October in north west Wyoming, not too far from Yellowstone. I've looked at weather averages for nearby towns and it ranges from 25 -75, but they're several thousand feet lower elevation than where I'll be hunting. Specifically some of the pants I've been looking at are the Kuiu Attack pants vs the Kuiu guide pants (mostly because they're a little bit better priced compared to comparable sitka and first lite). I'm worried the attack pants will be to light even with a base layer underneath, and that the guide pants will be too warm when hiking up and gaining elevation.
Also in general should I be looking at insulated boots vs not? I'm not sure if I should be expecting scattered snow on the north faces or potential for several inches one night.
Also if there's any more affordable brands that I shouldn't overlook I'm all ears. I'd rather not blow tons of money on gear, but I also want stuff that'll last.
Thanks for any help, I've been reading a lot of threads on here and it's been very helpful.

OP
L

louisianahunter

Lil-Rokslider
I've also considered the Prana Stretch Zion and Marmont Scree and other cheaper alternatives, but am I crazy to think that with one of those plus a merino wool base isn't enough while up at 9k feet in early October?

grfox92

WKR
Prana Zions and a merino base layer on your legs. Merino base layer, hoody or some sort, puffy jacket and packable rain jacket. This set up should keep you covered in the area you mentioned in early October.

In 2018 I hunted the same time and same area and I never wore my base layer on my legs, just wrangler hiking pants for 10 days and I was never cold.

This year you could have hunted in a tee shirt in October.

The weather varrie but the set up I listed will be fine.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
L

louisianahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Prana Zions and a merino base layer on your legs. Merino base layer, hoody or some sort, puffy jacket and packable rain jacket. This set up should keep you covered in the area you mentioned in early October.

In 2018 I hunted the same time and same area and I never wore my base layer on my legs, just wrangler hiking pants for 10 days and I was never cold.

This year you could have hunted in a tee shirt in October.

The weather varrie but the set up I listed will be fine.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Okay thanks so much that's helpful.

Honyock

WKR
The Attack pants will work just fine with a merino base layer. The Guide pants for colder weather. Watch the Classifieds here for pants.

406unltd

WKR
The kuiu pants should work great. Especially if you have a base layer as well. In the end most of your gear really depends on if you will be sitting and glassing a lot or not. Some of it is heavier material and meant for later season. Some is thinner and meant for the heat. Due diligence to finding out what is best for you is key. If you run cold then warmer gear is needed. Stay away from cotton. Boots will fall in the same thought process of whether or not your feet get cold easily. and will you be sitting around and glassing a lot?

oct gear I’d use because I don’t run cold-

-synthetic or merino socks
-Lightweight base layer top, and bottom if needed
-Medium weight pants but not fleece lined
-Heavyweight fleece top, maybe 2 if cold
-Puffy jacket- for insulation when static/ drying sweat from system after movement
-Rain jacket/pants to keep dry, lock in heat when needed and keep the winds off you
-Thin/ md weight if needed gloves, two pair
-Beanie and a ball cap
-Boot gaiters
****Uninsulated quality boots -waterproof, treated, and ready to rock
****Good pack- packing shit out is rewarding but damn hard work

All that will get you by as far as clothing goes. Good boots and pack are not negotiable in my opinion. The rest can be a compromise if you have a way to make sure everything dries at night.

jfs82

WKR
I couldn't imagine wearing Attacks in 75 degree weather. I do run hot though. Im in Tiburons if we're hitting mid seventies and above, below that into the 40's I wear Kryptek Tora. I wear attacks in the 20's to 40's