Clothing Recommendations (Key Items) ... Elk Hunting in NE Washington/SE BC

OP
dapesche

dapesche

WKR
Heavier merino as a base is item #1. I would recommend a First Lite zip tee for use in warmer weather trips. I often only wear my FL merino shirt for the day. Well...and pants. <g>

I like the idea of having that zip on top of the base layer. I am assuming you'll wear that zip t without the base on warmer days?

tater

WKR
In regards to everyone's experiences with rain gear, has any one noticed a certain product being tougher than another? There is a first lite stormtight jacket for sale but i'd hate to rip it while moving through our dense bush. Does the toughness of a rain shell trump the sound/camo of a hunting companies brand?

This is really helping. Thank you!

Where you are hunting you will be wet when it rains. If you go to something like HH Impertech (which will survive the brush busting), you will be wet from the inside as you bust ass to gain altitude. If you go Goretex/Cocona etc. it will eventually wet out (and/or just get completely shredded from the tag alder and everything else you are busting through). I carry the rain jacket to use as a windbreaker when it gets really breezy, and to make sitting under a big tree more comfy in a downpour.

There is no such thing as "breathable and waterproof". Like a hot redhead chick that ain't crazy, that is serious unicorn territory.

If you are going to be pounding through the brush after a downpour, strip down to your baselayer, get wet, wring it out when you stop and put on a dry layer (puffy, windshirt etc.). Or just let the marvel of merino dry out from your body heat. Wool retains 70% of it's insulating ability when wet.
Clammy feeling? Yup. Cold? Nope. Not unless there is a stiff breeze.

OP
dapesche

dapesche

WKR
So I ended up grabbing a skre Wasatch long sleeve. Synthetic seemed like a good option and I have order a rab short sleeve base layer as well.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

OP
dapesche

dapesche

WKR
I have a Marmot fleece QZ with a windstooper layer. Now I just need the figure out a jacket!

Tag_Soup

WKR
After a couple seasons bouncing back and forth from the sawtooths of Idaho (think dry, cold, 9000') to the great northwet of southeastern Washington, I have come up with a pretty universal system that works for me through most of my hunts. Most of this has been mentioned throughout this thread, but I'll get this all in one spot.

Feet:
Socks- merino/synthetic blend. Darn tough hikers and wigwam light hikers are both good
Boots-any good mountaineering or high end hunting boot with good after market insoles. I choose crispi Idaho GTX
Bottoms:
Pants-nylon pants with less than 8-10 % elastic. I choose prana zions
Insulation-medium Wright wool. I use ice breaker everyday leggings
Gaiters-any good mid to full height. I like OR
Optional insulation - synthetic puffy pants or fleece pants.

Top:
Base - light merino wool. Camo if you choose. I use first lite aerowool
Mid: mid weight merino or synthetic with a hood. Camo if you choose. I use a first lite chama hoody
Wind/mid: synthetic windstopper vest. I am using an Eddie Bauer, but would really like a Sitka
Insulation: synthetic puffy jacket of choice w/ a hood. Camo if you choose. I use first lite unpronounceable

Optional second insulation - mid weight fleece. I only bring one on November/December hunts. It spends most of the time in my pack

Rain gear:
Top - gore, event, kuiu, or helly Hansen. My heavyweight option is gore, but sometimes I still just throw in frog toggs

Pants- I have never found them useable enough to justify. I would prefer to bring a second pair of prana's to change into than rain pants...

Accessories:
Merino beanie-mid weight
Merino gloves-light weight
Glassing mittens-only on late hunts

I will usually bring one extra base later, two extra boxers and two extra pairs of socks. I find that having hoods allows me to pull them up for protection from sun or wind. If it's really cold, a medium beanie with two hoods over it can really hold in heat. Synthetic is much preferred in wet environments. When I hunted only in the drier climate, I swore by a down puffy.

As far as your specific needs, I would get some good gaiters and a synthetic puffy with a hood. You should be able to make what you have work once you have that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
dapesche

dapesche

WKR
After a couple seasons bouncing back and forth from the sawtooths of Idaho (think dry, cold, 9000') to the great northwet of southeastern Washington, I have come up with a pretty universal system that works for me through most of my hunts. Most of this has been mentioned throughout this thread, but I'll get this all in one spot.

Feet:
Socks- merino/synthetic blend. Darn tough hikers and wigwam light hikers are both good
Boots-any good mountaineering or high end hunting boot with good after market insoles. I choose crispi Idaho GTX
Bottoms:
Pants-nylon pants with less than 8-10 % elastic. I choose prana zions
Insulation-medium Wright wool. I use ice breaker everyday leggings
Gaiters-any good mid to full height. I like OR
Optional insulation - synthetic puffy pants or fleece pants.

Top:
Base - light merino wool. Camo if you choose. I use first lite aerowool
Mid: mid weight merino or synthetic with a hood. Camo if you choose. I use a first lite chama hoody
Wind/mid: synthetic windstopper vest. I am using an Eddie Bauer, but would really like a Sitka
Insulation: synthetic puffy jacket of choice w/ a hood. Camo if you choose. I use first lite unpronounceable

Optional second insulation - mid weight fleece. I only bring one on November/December hunts. It spends most of the time in my pack

Rain gear:
Top - gore, event, kuiu, or helly Hansen. My heavyweight option is gore, but sometimes I still just throw in frog toggs

Pants- I have never found them useable enough to justify. I would prefer to bring a second pair of prana's to change into than rain pants...

Accessories:
Merino beanie-mid weight
Merino gloves-light weight
Glassing mittens-only on late hunts

I will usually bring one extra base later, two extra boxers and two extra pairs of socks. I find that having hoods allows me to pull them up for protection from sun or wind. If it's really cold, a medium beanie with two hoods over it can really hold in heat. Synthetic is much preferred in wet environments. When I hunted only in the drier climate, I swore by a down puffy.

As far as your specific needs, I would get some good gaiters and a synthetic puffy with a hood. You should be able to make what you have work once you have that

Thanks tag. I like the idea of the gaiters. The puffy is starting to feel like a nice to have vs. A need. If I can find a use for it around town then I'd likely grab one.

Right now I'd like to dial in my outer shell. Trying to figure out if I want a softshell for glorified truck hunting or if I want a quiet rain jacket that I can pack away when hiking.

That event fabric looks and sounds sweet. I think if I could grab an olive colored event jacket I'd be very happy

Tag_Soup

WKR
Thanks tag. I like the idea of the gaiters. The puffy is starting to feel like a nice to have vs. A need. If I can find a use for it around town then I'd likely grab one.

Right now I'd like to dial in my outer shell. Trying to figure out if I want a softshell for glorified truck hunting or if I want a quiet rain jacket that I can pack away when hiking.

That event fabric looks and sounds sweet. I think if I could grab an olive colored event jacket I'd be very happy

The RAB Downpour comes in a nice olive and retails for $100. If you want a more bomb proof 3 layer, the Bergen comes in a forest green. I really like Event. I think it breaths better than goretex in the pieces I have tried. I'm not big on softshells for anything active. They just don't breath well enough to keep me dry when exerting.

OP
dapesche

dapesche

WKR
downpour looks really nice. Would be curious to know how it holds up to 'the bush'. Downpour seems to have a softer fabric which would be nice as well.

what is your shell? you mention Gore for your heavyweight option.

Thanks for pointing those names out to me!

Tag_Soup

WKR
downpour looks really nice. Would be curious to know how it holds up to 'the bush'. Downpour seems to have a softer fabric which would be nice as well.

what is your shell? you mention Gore for your heavyweight option.

Thanks for pointing those names out to me!

I have a Simms slick jacket. It's a bombproof 3 layer that I primarily use for fishing on the OP/southwest Washington rivers. It is great in really harsh weather, but the Gore Proshell is pretty loud and stiff for a while. Mine is well worn so it has quieted up quite a bit. It's a lot to pack and stupid expensive though. I will be in the market for some lighter, more packable rain gear next season. To be honest, I rarely pull it out while hunting. If it is a light drizzle, the firstlite puffy sheds water pretty well. If it is downpour conditions, I'll bust out a tarp and weather the storm. Early season it gets more use because a puffy is too hot. Thinking a sitka flash or that RAB Downpour may be my next purchase...

OP
dapesche

dapesche

WKR
I have a Simms slick jacket. It's a bombproof 3 layer that I primarily use for fishing on the OP/southwest Washington rivers. It is great in really harsh weather, but the Gore Proshell is pretty loud and stiff for a while. Mine is well worn so it has quieted up quite a bit. It's a lot to pack and stupid expensive though. I will be in the market for some lighter, more packable rain gear next season. To be honest, I rarely pull it out while hunting. If it is a light drizzle, the firstlite puffy sheds water pretty well. If it is downpour conditions, I'll bust out a tarp and weather the storm. Early season it gets more use because a puffy is too hot. Thinking a sitka flash or that RAB Downpour may be my next purchase...

Downpour does look good. I'm just concerned it by not be strong enough to push through dense bush. I'll let you know if I pull the trigger

I am like you in that I sweat way too easily. I hunted Oct and November the last 2 years in kootenay natl forest in montana and used the following:
Socks:
Darn tough full cushion

Pants:
Kuiu attack (favorite)
Eddie Bauer guide
Kuiu Chinook (good if looking for a little more warmth)
First lite corrugate guide

I have warn lite merino base lowers but typically don't need it.

Top:
First lite chama hoody (in Oct this is typically the only top layer I have on all day)
Kuiu Chinook jacket (cold weather, low activity, or light precip - pit zips help dump heat)
First lite uncompahgre jacket - for meal breaks, glassing sessions, or still hunting when it's cold.

Gloves - none or Sitka wind stopper. Think I'll try some first lite aerowool liners this year
For day hunts (typically 7-15 miles of walking) I don't even pack a rain jacket all of the time as I can dry my stuff out at night at buddies cabin. I'd be more cautious if doing overnights. Rain jackets make me sweat too much with the active hunting we do. Gaitors make my legs sweat too much too, I only find them beneficial if there is 5 or more inches of snow. The kuiu gaitors have worked well.

OP
dapesche

dapesche

WKR
I am like you in that I sweat way too easily. I hunted Oct and November the last 2 years in kootenay natl forest in montana and used the following:
Socks:
Darn tough full cushion

Pants:
Kuiu attack (favorite)
Eddie Bauer guide
Kuiu Chinook (good if looking for a little more warmth)
First lite corrugate guide

I have warn lite merino base lowers but typically don't need it.

Top:
First lite chama hoody (in Oct this is typically the only top layer I have on all day)
Kuiu Chinook jacket (cold weather, low activity, or light precip - pit zips help dump heat)
First lite uncompahgre jacket - for meal breaks, glassing sessions, or still hunting when it's cold.

Gloves - none or Sitka wind stopper. Think I'll try some first lite aerowool liners this year
For day hunts (typically 7-15 miles of walking) I don't even pack a rain jacket all of the time as I can dry my stuff out at night at buddies cabin. I'd be more cautious if doing overnights. Rain jackets make me sweat too much with the active hunting we do. Gaitors make my legs sweat too much too, I only find them beneficial if there is 5 or more inches of snow. The kuiu gaitors have worked well.
More good stuff.

My season starts Sept 1 and ends Nov 30. Cycling from elk to mule to whitetail.

Late season I'm feeling good using my goretex ski jacket and Stanfield.

Biggest concern right now is Sept to mid Oct. I'm thinking g the puff vest with my rain jacket along with some breathable, wicking, stench resistant layers will keep me going till it really cools down.

The skre Wasatch dries quick but is stinky (ps: really like this short) . I have my Costco merino which are thin and should help with stink. I also have the short sleeve base to put under the skre and it's 37.5 fabric with polygeine.... Should be good for drying and stink.

My issue will be cold morning on mountains while glassing. I'm think a rain jacket that can cut wind along with a primaloft vest and I'll be good to go.

Interesting comment of gaiters and sweat. For a a night or two in the bush I could see packing two pairs of pranas and a few socks and being OK. Something like a 7 day in trip might need gaiters to stay drier?...

Sounds like you're set.

I soak my pants in sweat when wearing gaitors. I'd just as soon let them get wet with water and dry out quicker mid day. I did get caught without them in the snow last nov and had snow packed in my pants half way up my shins and falling into the top of my boots.. that fleece backing on the chinook pants just grabs the snow.

I have never used a puffy vest so I'm not sure how much it can duplicate a jacket. I do love the uncompahgre and it's hood, I would not trade it for a vest and hard shell.

I'm leary of sub 3 layer rain shells. My first lite boundary stormtight (2.5 layer) was a disappointment and started showing wear and leaking with very little use. I've heard similar about Pac lite shells. I picked up an arcteryx gore Tex pro shell off steep and cheap that I expect to do better but like tag soup said, its a crinkly SOB!

Last edited:
I'd go to ebay and buy my base layers there. A whopping $8 for a polyester spandex light base layer tops. $11 for cold gear weight stuff. Those are delivered prices to the US. Canadian might be a bit more but, then again, there may be Canadian sellers as well. I own a pile of dri fit and sweat wicking clothes for daily use. These are the same thing as some of them without the Nike and name brand logo. I you want merino, sounds like you got it. I prefer synthetics when in wet environments.

While you are there, buy a gen III ecwcs level 6 rain suit. Lightweight, quite when wet, with plenty of ventilation if needed. A whole used suit will run you $50-$75 bucks, compress to the size of a softball, block the wind and water like a wall, are extremely light, and are extremely durable. It is GOOD stuff. This will compress to go in a pack small when you don't need it. Next, I'd buy a 100 gram primaloft liner jacket and, a primaloft vest. Climashield works great too but is a bit more bulky. Point is, they are WARM, lightweight, and very packable. And both dry very quickly. Pants are a personal thing. In the temps you described, I'd get a pair of Microtex or polyester pants and, layer with base layers and rain shell as I needed.

This stuff total will run you about $200, depending on your wearing size and, be everything you'll pay a lot more for with the logo brands. There is only so much you can do with the same materials. So, you don't have to have the name brand stuff to perform the exact same. Buy what you want but, if fiances are an issue, you can be just as comfortable and, just as efficient without spending three house payments to do so. God Bless men

OP
dapesche

dapesche

WKR

Thought this was a good rundown on fabrics. Rab downpour is pertex.

Choosing a Waterproof Jacket | Webtogs Gear Guide

OP
dapesche

dapesche

WKR
I'd go to ebay and buy my base layers there. A whopping $8 for a polyester spandex light base layer tops. $11 for cold gear weight stuff. Those are delivered prices to the US. Canadian might be a bit more but, then again, there may be Canadian sellers as well. I own a pile of dri fit and sweat wicking clothes for daily use. These are the same thing as some of them without the Nike and name brand logo. I you want merino, sounds like you got it. I prefer synthetics when in wet environments.

While you are there, buy a gen III ecwcs level 6 rain suit. Lightweight, quite when wet, with plenty of ventilation if needed. A whole used suit will run you $50-$75 bucks, compress to the size of a softball, block the wind and water like a wall, are extremely light, and are extremely durable. It is GOOD stuff. This will compress to go in a pack small when you don't need it. Next, I'd buy a 100 gram primaloft liner jacket and, a primaloft vest. Climashield works great too but is a bit more bulky. Point is, they are WARM, lightweight, and very packable. And both dry very quickly. Pants are a personal thing. In the temps you described, I'd get a pair of Microtex or polyester pants and, layer with base layers and rain shell as I needed.

This stuff total will run you about $200, depending on your wearing size and, be everything you'll pay a lot more for with the logo brands. There is only so much you can do with the same materials. So, you don't have to have the name brand stuff to perform the exact same. Buy what you want but, if fiances are an issue, you can be just as comfortable and, just as efficient without spending three house payments to do so. God Bless men
I actually bought rab base layers. They use both a first lite and a sitka technology in one. I wouldn't have spent that money on basic layers but I'll use it for everyday use in summer, for hunting and for skiing.

Thanks for bringing that ecwcs gear to my attention. Assuming it won't be quiet, but obviously light and very functional. I need a jacket for everyday use and for skiing so I'm thinking about going the non-camo route.

If I was thinking hunting only that ecwcs is probably a great option... Thank you!