Clothing starting from nothing

Ok here's where I'm at, I have virtually no experience backpack hunting. I'm looking at getting into this, just talking about clothing here. Condition are, high buck hunt Washington State (mid-late Sept) elevation around 7000, temp are anywhere from almost snowing to 80's from what I'm told. Time frame is 4 days 3 nights. Here's where I'm at so far and this is open to change but from the research I've done this is what I've come up with. Jacket #1 choice is Kuiu guide jacket, #2 something from core4 then sitka, next upper layer #1 choice is the Kuiu spindrift jacket #2 first lite labrador sweater or first springer vest, base layer/s first lite chama and first lite llano or Kuiu 185/250 or will just be looking for something on sale. Pants, 1 pair of marmot scree pants 1 pair or kohl renegade or Ryder pants (not sure what pair I was looking at REI) or possibly a Kuiu pant but for some weird reason I just prefer solid earthy colored pants and not camo. Base layer 1 pair of either first lite or kuiu 185. Already have smart wool socks and will be looking at sales for merino wool underwear. My big uncertainty is the rain gear, I can't decide between just some light weight off brand packable stuff (glaciers edge, red ledge, alpine lakes, etc), something like the cabelas space rain or even just getting a cabelas guide parka. So what do you think ? Thanks with the input

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
Kuiu is coming out with some solid color pants if you like solids. I plan on getting all KUIU this year. Seems like they made it very easy to make a system. Ill also be honest in saying i wish i would have just gotten some really high quality raingear to begin with, rather than going though a few sets. Im going to give the chugach a try this year.

And if i could start from square 1.... it would also be all Kuiu. Keep in mind I dont own any yet, just going off what iv read. I do own my share of sitka and various other backpacking brands. Along with a few other hunting brands.

JSonn

FNG
any idea what other solid colors besides their Charcoal color?

Kuiu is coming out with some solid color pants if you like solids. I plan on getting all KUIU this year. Seems like they made it very easy to make a system. Ill also be honest in saying i wish i would have just gotten some really high quality raingear to begin with, rather than going though a few sets. Im going to give the chugach a try this year.

And if i could start from square 1.... it would also be all Kuiu. Keep in mind I dont own any yet, just going off what iv read. I do own my share of sitka and various other backpacking brands. Along with a few other hunting brands.

bowinhand

WKR
KUIU blog said (attack pants) burnt olive, major brown, and charcoal gray. I was hoping KUIU would come out with a khaki/cardboard light brownish color.

Check sierra trading post for deals on brands like ice breaker, red ram, ibex, smartwool, marmot and mountain hardware.

Also, take a look at Arbor wear tech pants.

Last edited:
OP
pyroducksx3
I would love to buy only the best gear available. That being said I am starting from scratch. So far it's most likely going to be a kifaru T2 pack, most likely a kifaru slick 20 deg bag, a tarptent rainshadow 2 shelter and already got some asolo sasslong boots from Sierra TP for 150$ All this puts me over 1000$ So I am still trying to figure out how to pay for all that. I figure my main gear will get the most use so I'll spend as much as I can there. That why the Kuiu guide jacket counting on the guide jacket to shrug off light showers mist/fog. The base layers I just threw out there with brands to avoid to much talk focusing on them, I'm really going to be watching for deals on merino and if no substantial saving can be had I'll purchase the brands I posted. On rain gear I would love to get Kuiu or Sitka but I just am past the budget maybe next year but really am beyond tapped and hopefully somebody will make some hunter friendly stuff with the polartec neoshell I hear that stuff is easily the best. Any reason to not go with my number one choices?

OP
pyroducksx3
I'm really liking the arborwear Tec pants from what I can read, anybody else have positive feedback using these backpacking? Love the price and all the features if they will really work great for high hunting these might be my new first choice

JPhelps

Lil-Rokslider
I am a Kryptek guy but Kuiu,sitka,core4 and first lite will all work. Also the Cabela's microtex performs very well at a very good price point.

JPhelps

Lil-Rokslider
You can also go to basegear.com and when you sign up you will get 20% off. A very good way to get a marmot sleeping bag for cheap.
Also the tarp tent rainshadow 2 is my go to tent until late October.

That sure sounded like a lot of clothing for 4 days!!! I am a big KUIU and First Lite fan. I use Merino Wool whenever and where ever I can because of its weight to warmth ratio and it packs down so well. Like its been mentioned don't skimp on gear. That's what you have to protect you from the elements and keep you warm and DRY!!! You'll last longer and be more comfortable.

OP
pyroducksx3
Well in the pack it will most likely be either the 185 or 230 base layers (not both), one pair of pants, vest, spindrift, one pair of underwear, one pair of socks and my military issued gortex rain gear. Wearing up pair of pants, one pair of underwear, merino t shirt, and guide jacket. Thats about right for 3 days 4 nights right? I wanted the ability to let something dry and still have clothes to wear being in washington afterall ;)

Having done the high hunt plan on rain for sure, maybe snow.
We don't pack more pants and uppers than what we wear. Quality socks that you can change and dry are a must. A Kifaru Tipi will go a long way to reducing your clothing load out and omfort.
The high hunt is steep and remote. Don't carry one single thing you don't need. I'd also think twice about the military raingear...the Cabelas stuff or even Frogg Toggs will save a bunch of weight and space.

OP
pyroducksx3
So trying to decide on the upper layers. For base layers I have the first lite Llano and Chama (was only going to buy one but Cabelas has all first lite stuff 50%+ off right now) So the options are going to be option #1 the Kuiu Guide Jacket and spindrift or option #2 Kryptek Cadog and a first lite labrador sweater. What say you?

B

bearguide

we used smart wool and cabelas outfitter socks in alaska on a rainey bear hunt / the cabelas dried out better than the smart wool

OP
pyroducksx3
I got a guide jacket on the way, when their attack pant in burnt olive comes in I'll get those as well in addition to the wool beanie and neck gaitor. The big issue now is rain gear. I would love to get kiui but 550 for rain gear isn't happening. I can get 40% of Sitka so I'm looking at their stormfront lite or russels apxg2 cyclone but even those are stretching the budget out. I'll look into space rain but think spending an extra 100$ on Sitka would be a better investment. Oh decisions decisions

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
KUIU blog said (attack pants) burnt olive, major brown, and charcoal gray. I was hoping KUIU would come out with a khaki/cardboard light brownish color.

Check sierra trading post for deals on brands like ice breaker, red ram, ibex, smartwool, marmot and mountain hardware.

Also, take a look at Arbor wear tech pants.

The major brown color is not near as dark as you think. I have the Guide Jacket in Major brown, and it is relatively light. It is lighter than the brown in the Vias Camo pattern.

Lawnboi

WKR
ill throw in my 2 cents about the raingear, even though i may have told you all of it already. I owned the apxg2, and have spent alot of time around space rain and sitka SFL stuff.

IMO all three options, apx, SFL, and space rain is not going to breath as good as a true 3 layer.

Apx is going to be the quietest, followed by space rain, and lastly sitka.

Space rain is fragile, but super light! and compresses into nothing, i wouldnt count on it lasting too long though.

Sitka is the highest quality IMO, and fit me the best of the 3, its also lighter then the apx, and compresses very small as well.

Non of them have pitzips (the new apx might?)

The apx is stretchy, but a bit heavier.

For 100 extra bucks over the space rain, the sfl stuff will keep you happy for a long time i think, it really is nice stuff. Not to mention, if you do plan on getting kuiu, i bet you could get just about as much as you will pay (w/ 40% off) for the stuff if you decide to sell it. Alot of guys really like thier sitka raingear, and other than kuiu imo there isnt a better option in camo atleast. I know me personally, i was going to get the SFL stuff before i warmed up to the kuiu camo pattern.

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
I'm really liking the arborwear Tec pants from what I can read, anybody else have positive feedback using these backpacking? Love the price and all the features if they will really work great for high hunting these might be my new first choice

Pyroducks,

The arborwear Tech Pants are good backcountry pants. I have used the regular and zip off river tech pants extensively. Both pants served me well until the KUIU attack pants came out (have the vias and charcoal with burnt olive attack pants en route). I prefer the attack pants for the backcountry. Lighter weight and a softer feel. The arbor wear tech pant 7 oz. nylon is not as soft and does not move with you as well despite the fully gusseted crotch. Similar fit/cut though. The Tech pants are tough as nails like the attack pants just not as comfortable. The attack pants also dry much faster.

IMHO, the attack pants are worth their price (double the cost of the tech pants I think).

The Patagonia Nano is a functional lightweight insulating layer that fits well under a KUIU Chugach jacket. IMO, Patagonia synthetic base layers are fine for shorter trips while merino is superior for any longer backcountry rambles.

The initial cash outlay sucks but I would rather save up and buy reliable, quality gear from companies with excellent customer service than experiment with cheaper stuff that may or may not turn out to be Snoopy gear. I do know that it is no fun to get caught up high in a beat down with Snoopy gear.