Clothing System For BC Coastal Mountains In November

TJE0705

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, I have a columbia blacktail hunt coming up at the end of November ( well hopefully if all the travel restrictions are lifted ). I was going through my stuff today and was thinking about what clothing to take. Ill preface this by saying most of my hunting is treestand whitetail hunting in the southeast. Ive been to Wyoming once on a mule deer/antelope hunt but it was mostly truck based glassing with very short stalks, so mountainous stalks with snow will be a whole new ballgame for me. As far as clothes heres what I’m thinking about taking:

-First Lite Fuse Bottoms 200g
-First Lite Wick Tshirt 150g
-First Lite Wick Long Sleeve 150g
-First Lite Klamath 1/4zip fleece
-First Lite Catalyst pants and jacket
-Kifaru Lost Park Parka
-First Lite SEAK jacket and bibs
-Toboggan / Neck Gaiter
-Outdoor Research Yukon Boot Gaiters
-Lola Tibet GTX High Boots

I feel like this will be good but my only concerns would be 1) Should I go with a heavier base layer like the First Lite Furnace? 2) Klamath grid fleece or Kiln Hoody? 3) Catalyst or Corrugate pants? I run fairly hot when I’m on the move but get cold very fast when still. Thanks for any and all info guys.

j33

WKR
I’ve never been hunting on the coast but have spent some time fishing on the BC coast as I have family there. The humidity makes it much colder than you think it is and being a truck based hunt I would bring more than you think. Don’t overlook beanies, socks and especially multiple glove options.

Just wanted to get that out there I can’t offer any other advise as I haven’t hunted there. Good luck.

I do own a Kiln and not a chance I’m bringing that to a high humidity area like that, synthetic fleece all day.

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
Both the Kiln and Furnace are nice pieces, but don't provide the same warmth to weight as a fleece, plus take longer to dry out. Living in wet clothes for a week is miserable. For that humid/wet climate I'd look at running synthetic base layers (I use the Sitka Core Lightweight) instead of merino since they dry more quickly.

I'd also recommend puffy pants.

OP
T

TJE0705

Lil-Rokslider
Both the Kiln and Furnace are nice pieces, but don't provide the same warmth to weight as a fleece, plus take longer to dry out. Living in wet clothes for a week is miserable. For that humid/wet climate I'd look at running synthetic base layers (I use the Sitka Core Lightweight) instead of merino since they dry more quickly.

I'd also recommend puffy pants.

puffy pants in addition to items listed above?

Where are you going to be hunting? Not specifically but is it in mountains on the mainland BC or an island and how far north will you be? I ask because that will be the difference between a shit ton of rain (most likely the case), really heavy and wet snow (the worst case) or just plain cold snow (best). I'm from Western WA and have been hunting mountain BT in October and November my whole life. Not sure if you've ever hunted out this way before but if you have any questions about blacktail or their environment then I'd be happy to share my experiences.

OP
T

TJE0705

Lil-Rokslider
I talked to the outfitter. Closest town to where we will be hunting will be pemberton. He said expect it to be 32 degree very wet. We will probably be hunti g between 5-7 thousand feet.

HoneyDew

WKR
End of Nov in BC coastal mountains at 5-7K feet? Personally I’d be planning for everything from 50F down to subzero with high probability of spitting cold rain. Including wet heavy snow.

You didn’t give much on the logistics of the trip (back country hike in, fly in, truck based). But it sounds like you have an outfitter. Why not ask them for typical weather in that area?

Plan for very wet conditions.
by end of November the alpine areas will be seeing a fair bit of snow and the deer will likely have pushed down. You will go from misty rain, to light showers, to heavy downpours, to torrential rain, mixed in with wet snow, sleet and then a few more showers for good measure.

to put it in perspective whistler ski resort is just south of that. the village sits a bit above 2k feet and the peeks at 7k’ they try to open for the American thanksgiving weekend. It’s rare to have snow to ski all the way out to the village for opening weekend.