Clothing System

BigDawgWill44

Lil-Rokslider
Here is the clothing system I currently have. Just curious how versatile you think this setup is, especially for late October/early November elk rifle where temperatures can range from 50 degrees and sunny to 10 degrees and snowing.

Black Ovis 150 Merino T-shirt (Base Layer)
Kuiu Peloton 200 Zip-T (mid layer)
Kuiu Axis Hybrid Jacket (soft shell)
Kuiu Super Down Ultra (puffy)
Kuiu Yukon Jacket (rain jacket)

Bottom

First Lite Wick Boxers
Kuiu Attack Pants
Chugach Pants (rain pants)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that should be pretty good. Will probably need some sort of
Insulating layer/puffy on the bottom for glassing/cold weather times. Other than that, seems about right.
One area you could change out would
Be the attacks for something like then axis pants, or take both. In cold weather I don’t know how well the attacks will be vs something with a little more liner in them like the axis pant.

I moved away form kuiu a couple of years ago but it is good gear. One item I still use is the attacks.

I agree with the comment above that I sometimes want more insulation in cold. I generally wear the from 70s down to the 30-40s in pretty good comfort. Once I Get close to freezing I am looking for a base layer or a heavier pair of pants. With the right baselayer they can work in colder weather though.

OP
BigDawgWill44

BigDawgWill44

Lil-Rokslider
Ya I am thinking about getting another pair of pants, maybe the Axis Hybrids.

Grizzly83

FNG
Axis hybrid pants have a fleece backer and will add warmth that the attack doesn’t have. You could also get a mid-weight fleece bottom that would do the trick as well. I personally like the grid fleece mid weight Sitka option. Pricey for what they are, but fit and function are good and they are built well.

OP
BigDawgWill44

BigDawgWill44

Lil-Rokslider
Axis hybrid pants have a fleece backer and will add warmth that the attack doesn’t have. You could also get a mid-weight fleece bottom that would do the trick as well. I personally like the grid fleece mid weight Sitka option. Pricey for what they are, but fit and function are good and they are built well.

I wonder how breathable they are? I notoriously sweat my ass off on long steep climbs.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wonder how breathable they are? I notoriously sweat my ass off on long steep climbs.

That’s why I like the idea of zip off base layers and hip vents. You can partially open the base zippers if you don’t want to completely remove them. I haven’t tried stone glacier’s stuff but they use large open vents on the base layer and pants. The idea looks to eliminate any need to remove in the field yet still allow temperature and moisture control.

Grizzly83

FNG
I sweat like a pig too. That’s why I like grid fleece. It allows ventilation better than a full fleece. The axis does a good job of dumping heat thru the hip vents. I think you’d be happy with either