Clothing system

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
Sitting in a treestand is a long cry from any kind of active hunting and Kuiu insulation is not ideal for typical whitetail hunting. Its not quiet, it doesn't hold up well to brush, its not particularly wind resistant. Thats why sitka and firstlite have different whitetail lines. I have more western hunting clothes than is reasonable but none of the insulation pieces get used for whitetail. Base layers, pants, mid layers there is a lot of overlap.

There isn't a universal "better" between sitka and kuiu. There are pieces that fit certain applications better than others.

thanks for the great advice, i really like the sitka whitetail line and the base layers seem very nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EdP

WKR
"Kuiu insulation is not ideal for typical whitetail hunting. Its not quiet, it doesn't hold up well to brush, its not particularly wind resistant"

I'm not quite sure I understand your point. I don't look for insulation to hold up to brush, or be wind resistant. That's the job of the outer layer, not the insulation. As far as being quiet goes, the insulation is not the issue, but the outer layer. With the kuiu it's not robust enough for use in brushy country, so I always wear an uninsulated shell over top. That also addresses any percieved wind issue.

"There isn't a universal "better" between sitka and kuiu. There are pieces that fit certain applications better than others."

I'm in complete agreement with that. The Kuiu Kenai hoody and the Kuiu Super Down Ultra have worked well for me both for eastern whitetail and western hunting, but the Sitka down puffy was very loud, way to loud for eastern whitetail hunting. For glassing from a high ridge in the west, to then be shed before making a stalk, the Sitka puffy would be great. I suspect the outer layer of the Sitka was more robust than the Kuiu and resulted in the higher noise level and would not need a shell to protect it, but even just glassing I would wear my shell over the Kuiu. Regardless, both are top quality brands with pieces worth a look when you need something new.

simarden

FNG
I haven't hunted bears yet, but it's in my plans. I can give a couple of universal tips developed from experience though.

The fabric should be strong and stretchy, and protect from wind, dust, and moisture. In general, it is essential to get protected from the weather. The density of the fabric doesn't affect the waterproof properties, so the thickness of the suit can be chosen at your discretion. When selecting a material, it's also essential to pay attention to odor. A strong foreign smell may scare away the beast.

Hunting clothes should wick away moisture, let the air pass through, and keep you warm. This is facilitated by using thermal underwear and choosing appropriate materials for the suit and lining.

Last edited:
"Kuiu insulation is not ideal for typical whitetail hunting. Its not quiet, it doesn't hold up well to brush, its not particularly wind resistant"

I'm not quite sure I understand your point. I don't look for insulation to hold up to brush, or be wind resistant. That's the job of the outer layer, not the insulation. As far as being quiet goes, the insulation is not the issue, but the outer layer. With the kuiu it's not robust enough for use in brushy country, so I always wear an uninsulated shell over top. That also addresses any percieved wind issue.

I suppose its relevant to where a guy hunts. I do my whitetail hunting in MN. For Nov/Dec in MN, kuiu insulation pieces are just not warm enough for me to use stand hunting on colder days. I have warmer "light weight" insulation like the First lite chamberlin but trying to find a shell that fits over that marshmallow man suit and dealing with an extra layer is just not as ideal as using a single layer like the sanctuary jacket that has features like the hand warming pockets i've come to rely on rather than warm mitts/gloves.

I'm not saying it wouldn't work but using multiple layers when I'm already piled up with layers and not having the little features that purpose designed whitetail parka has isn't ideal IMO.