Clothing system

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, I am looking to upgrade some clothing for hunting this season. I am looking for clothing that can be used for an occasional spot and stalk on muleys or pronghorn but primarily for white tails and bear. Temps ranging from 50°-0°. Any and all suggestions would help, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drenalin

WKR
I’m still getting my clothing just right, but have been using the Kuiu Kenai jacket this season and love it. With a 200g merino base, Peloton 240 and the Kenai on top, I’ve been good to 20. Wind cuts right through it, but it’s not supposed to be a wind breaker. I’m trying it with the 240 on top this morning, all good so far, but it’s 32 degrees with no wind so not the stiffest test.

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
I’m still getting my clothing just right, but have been using the Kuiu Kenai jacket this season and love it. With a 200g merino base, Peloton 240 and the Kenai on top, I’ve been good to 20. Wind cuts right through it, but it’s not supposed to be a wind breaker. I’m trying it with the 240 on top this morning, all good so far, but it’s 32 degrees with no wind so not the stiffest test.

Let me know if that helps any with the layer change, i am looking for something a little more windproof though, maybe i could layer a breaker over the kenai?

Drenalin

WKR
Let me know if that helps any with the layer change, i am looking for something a little more windproof though, maybe i could layer a breaker over the kenai?

Seems warmer with the 240 underneath. Not enough wind today to say it helped with that. The Kenai definitely needs a shell over it in wind, but that somewhat negates it’s biggest benefit for whitetail hunting, which is that it’s really quiet for a puffy jacket.

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
Seems warmer with the 240 underneath. Not enough wind today to say it helped with that. The Kenai definitely needs a shell over it in wind, but that somewhat negates it’s biggest benefit for whitetail hunting, which is that it’s really quiet for a puffy jacket.

Have you had any experience with sitka vs. kuiu? i have always though kuiu looked better but never have worn either

Jimss

WKR
Layers are key! Obviously some can be used in a higher variety of conditions than others. Some work in multi-conditions.

Tops............My preference for a base layer top is a super thin/light hoodie. The sun and wind can be rough. I have hoodies on just about every top I wear to cut sun, wind, water, snow, etc. One of my favorite tops is less $ than most....it's Cabela's thicker microfleece with chest pockets. It's a great layer alone or combined. Next top I don't leave home without is a vest. Almost all Kuiu and other vests are super noisy. A vest can be worn as an outer layer. I have a Sitka Fanatic..it's nearly the only vest I found that is quiet cloth and does an excellent job of cutting wind. It has a funky zipper but nice pouch for warming hands plus pocket. Love it! Next is a thicker hooded jacket similar to Sitka 90's or Kuiu Guide. They don't block howling wind alone. The final layer is a rain jacket. Both Sitka and Kuiu are tops but I sometimes us a Marmot Precip that works fantastic for around $50! Pitzips and hooded are a must have for me for rain jackets.

Pants are pretty simple. I'm slowly converting totally over to Kuiu. They fit me perfect. Sitka pants give me a saggy crotch which I hate! I use Kuiu Teburons for early season and Guides later. For base layer bottoms they all work great but I like a thin and thicker set for different conditions. The final pant layer is rainpants. They cut wind and the Kuiu/Sitka are tough to beat. I also have used and abused Marmot Precip pants that are only $50. I don't ever wear gators because I almost always have rainpants with me if it's wet.

The only others I use are snow camo. If it's super wet and rainy I may use Helly Henson raingear if I'm not active. These pretty much are what I use 99% of the time and work in just about any conditions.

Drenalin

WKR
Have you had any experience with sitka vs. kuiu? i have always though kuiu looked better but never have worn either

The only thing from Sitka I’ve kept is a blaze orange Stratus jacket and beanie. I didn’t care at all for the lightweight or heavyweight hoodies that everybody else seems to love. Sitka will be more like your regular clothing sizes, but if you follow Kuiu’s size guide I feel their fit is better. Sitka is a little boxy, in my opinion. I would say Sitka has more stuff that’s appropriate for typical whitetail hunting, but I’m not a fan overall. A complete layering system will probably include pieces from several manufacturers - don’t get locked in on one brand.

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
The only thing from Sitka I’ve kept is a blaze orange Stratus jacket and beanie. I didn’t care at all for the lightweight or heavyweight hoodies that everybody else seems to love. Sitka will be more like your regular clothing sizes, but if you follow Kuiu’s size guide I feel their fit is better. Sitka is a little boxy, in my opinion. I would say Sitka has more stuff that’s appropriate for typical whitetail hunting, but I’m not a fan overall. A complete layering system will probably include pieces from several manufacturers - don’t get locked in on one brand.

I will keep looking into kuiu, i think it looks cool and seems like it is quality stuff. What camo pattern do you have, i’m not sure what would blend best with them most habitats?

Drenalin

WKR
I will keep looking into kuiu, i think it looks cool and seems like it is quality stuff. What camo pattern do you have, i’m not sure what would blend best with them most habitats?

I have greens, grays, and brown, mostly gray. Seems to work as well as camo as long as I do my part.

csutton7

FNG
I bucked up and bought Sitka stuff last year, as my other hunting stuff I've had for 18 yrs of backpack hunting in the mountains and hunting the sandhills of Nebraska was getting a bit worn out. First off I believe you need one jacket or shirt or sweater that blocks the wind. I used the Sitka stuff last year on a still hunt at 0* and was very happy with the way it performed and this year I put at least 35 miles on my gear still hunting whitetails or getting into a place to sit and wait for a buck to walk into my shooting range in temps of 18* to 50* and again I was very happy with it. I did carry a backpack for most of this hunt too, but never shed anything, although I did think about it twice, but I was either close enough to where I was going to stop and sit or close enough to the truck that it didn't make sense. I had a lightweight zip tee(again zip everything is a no-brainer in my book) and bottoms, timberline pants, a mountain jacket, and the infinium windstopper jacket.

Good luck with whatever you buy.

Lowg08

WKR
I primarily whitetail and bear hunt in Western North Carolina. As stated above layers are key. I have tried all major brands and have mostly first light. This week lows have been between 18* and 47*. I wear as follows

bottoms-
FL wick long boxers
FL kiln 250 weight
Kuiu 145 zip off
FL catalyst.
FL uncompahgre puffy pants.
As far as use. If it’s going to be 30 and below I just zip on the 145 when I get where im going. I am
Adding zip off FL furnace.

tops-
FL fuse (walk in)
FL kiln
FL Klamath
Old Remington heavy fleece jacket
FL chamberlain

this is worst case. If it’s above the 30 I don’t add the fleece. I’ve hunted in wind rain and cold all
Week with no issues at all not even. Cold on the 18*. I am adding a few items for next year for late bow season due to how cold it gets. Equinox midi pant and Sitka traverse cold weather hoody. Like an idiot I sold one not thinking. I am outfitted for anything because I also own the corrugate foundry pants and jacket and a brooks down jacket also. I’m pretty positive I can go anywhere in the country and be good to go.

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
I primarily whitetail and bear hunt in Western North Carolina. As stated above layers are key. I have tried all major brands and have mostly first light. This week lows have been between 18* and 47*. I wear as follows

bottoms-
FL wick long boxers
FL kiln 250 weight
Kuiu 145 zip off
FL catalyst.
FL uncompahgre puffy pants.
As far as use. If it’s going to be 30 and below I just zip on the 145 when I get where im going. I am
Adding zip off FL furnace.

tops-
FL fuse (walk in)
FL kiln
FL Klamath
Old Remington heavy fleece jacket
FL chamberlain

this is worst case. If it’s above the 30 I don’t add the fleece. I’ve hunted in wind rain and cold all
Week with no issues at all not even. Cold on the 18*. I am adding a few items for next year for late bow season due to how cold it gets. Equinox midi pant and Sitka traverse cold weather hoody. Like an idiot I sold one not thinking. I am outfitted for anything because I also own the corrugate foundry pants and jacket and a brooks down jacket also. I’m pretty positive I can go anywhere in the country and be good to go.

sounds like your set! i bit the bullet and bought the sitka equinox hoody today for a good early/mid season outer layer to test out sitka products. i like it so far and is really comfortable in 30° weather with a sweatshirt underneath

No disrespect intended at all. You probably do better in the cold than me. I have run kuiu most of the season and start to get uncomfortable when it dips below 40. I love the stuff but just can’t seem to make it work for long static sits.
For reference, I wear a combo of base layer shirt, peloton 260, kenai vest and axis pants and jacket. Worked ok but thinking of going a different direction next season

Lowg08

WKR
No disrespect intended at all. You probably do better in the cold than me. I have run kuiu most of the season and start to get uncomfortable when it dips below 40. I love the stuff but just can’t seem to make it work for long static sits.
For reference, I wear a combo of base layer shirt, peloton 260, kenai vest and axis pants and jacket. Worked ok but thinking of going a different direction next season
This is why I went away. Had the whole kuiu set and always got cold

csutton7

FNG
I should add that I do have the Sitka Puffy jacket(not the latest model) and some heavy-weight long underwear when needed for those colder days.

ffiivvee

Lil-Rokslider
I've got all the First Lite base layers for both top and bottom. I love those and highly recommend them. For tops I have a Klamath hoodie and a Uncomphagre jacket(2.0, without a doubt the best warmth to weight ratio cost I've ever had) for First Lite and for Sitka I have a Stratus Jacket and a Fanatic Vest (absolute knock out combo for the cold). For bottoms I have Corrugate Guide Lite, Obsidian and Catalyst Foundry pants.

I legitimately think that I could get away with wearing the Catalyst Foundry pants for 75% of my season just depending on temp and the layers I have on underneath

gargra03

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't limit yourself to one specific brand, I run Kuiu, First Lite, and the Kings XKG line. All have a specific purpose in my layering system.

EdP

WKR
With the Kuiu you will need to wear a shell over your final insulation layer to protect the somewhat fragile fabric if in brushy country.

I have the Kuiu Kenai and love how quiet and warm it is. It is not nearly as puffy as it looks in their ads, but it is very warm and packs up well. I also have the Kuiu Super Down Ultra. It is not as quiet as the Kenai being a fabric that has to contain down, but it is much more quiet than the Sitka down jacket (that went back).

Sitting in a treestand is a long cry from any kind of active hunting and Kuiu insulation is not ideal for typical whitetail hunting. Its not quiet, it doesn't hold up well to brush, its not particularly wind resistant. Thats why sitka and firstlite have different whitetail lines. I have more western hunting clothes than is reasonable but none of the insulation pieces get used for whitetail. Base layers, pants, mid layers there is a lot of overlap.

There isn't a universal "better" between sitka and kuiu. There are pieces that fit certain applications better than others.