Clothing Wash/DWR?

Suffering from analysis paralysis.. what does everyone suggest as far as clothing wash, treatment, etc for your clothes? Or some opinions on some of the following?

Nikwax? Wash-in vs spray on?

Grangers? Any specific products?

Revivex?

Should down be washed in "specialized" down stuff? Or anything special about the softshell stuff that I should be using that on my softshell clothing?

I've always just washed my clothes in Atsko Sportwash, but I'm curious if I'm missing out on something better.

Used nikwax now I'm transitioning to Granger's mainly bc I can buy a big bottle on Amazon.

Using tech wash for Jetstream, kenai, Yukon, all my pants including uncompahgre.

My fleece stuff like core mid weight, fanatic, core heavyweight, UA hoodie im working through a bottle of nikwax polar proof. Seems to work as intended.

Down, I've had the same bottle of nikwax down wash for like 2 years, I have a Cabela's xpg bag I use summer into archery season then wash it after that. It still looks new.

My high wear stuff like my attack and talus pants along with my Jetstream seem to benefit from the tech wash The DWR on both seem to perform like new.

I know the feeling of over analyzing things like this esp since some of this is a investment. if you use this stuff on a regular basis you need it to perform and last so your not buying shit over and over again.

I don't think you can go wrong with nikwax or Granger's they both have done well for me. Just follow the directions per the tag on the piece of clothing for washing I think that's most important.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I use NikWax a few times a year on my most used outerwear - tge soak version. In between, I just use Atsko Sport- wash as my weekly hunting clothes detergent. It’s cheap and works great for me. I wouldn’t miss my periodic soaks in NikWax, though. But, I’m in my hunting clothes for about 8 months a year which means way more washing than most guys. If I was only going to be wearing my hunting gear a few weeks a year, I’d go with NikWax or Grainger - whichever you can find a better deal on.

Down ABSOLUTELY needs specialized soap that leaves zero residue; and if you have one of the new ‘waterproof down’ items, you need the super gentle soap so you don’t degrade the treatment to the down. Using non down specific soap will cause the feathers to loose loft and be less effective. You spent a lot on that down....take care of it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
cornfedkiller
I use NikWax a few times a year on my most used outerwear - tge soak version. In between, I just use Atsko Sport- wash as my weekly hunting clothes detergent. It’s cheap and works great for me. I wouldn’t miss my periodic soaks in NikWax, though. But, I’m in my hunting clothes for about 8 months a year which means way more washing than most guys. If I was only going to be wearing my hunting gear a few weeks a year, I’d go with NikWax or Grainger - whichever you can find a better deal on.

Which products are you specifically referring to? Tech Wash? Tx Direct? Softshell Proof?

Or any suggestions of specific Grangers products? They have a ton.

Down ABSOLUTELY needs specialized soap that leaves zero residue; and if you have one of the new ‘waterproof down’ items, you need the super gentle soap so you don’t degrade the treatment to the down. Using non down specific soap will cause the feathers to loose loft and be less effective. You spent a lot on that down....take care of it!!

Atsko claims on the bottle that its safe for down - thoughts?

And then I was planning on getting some sort of down water proofer (Grangers maybe?).

excaliber

WKR
I've worked with a clothing manufacturer in the past trying to find a good DWR treatment for when the factory DWR treatment wear off.

The best combo we found was Atsko sport wash followed by the Permanent water guard. I've treated all my Sitka gear with it and the results on my Pants have been excellent.

Last edited:

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
I've worked with a clothing manufacturer in the past trying to find a good DWR treatment for when the factory DWR treatment wear off.

The best combo we found was Atsko sport wash followed but the Permanent water guard. I've treated all my Sitka gear with it and the results on my Pants have been excellent.

Is that a wash in DWR? I feel like the spray on DWR would be more effective and you can put it where you want it rather than just shotgunning DWR everyone inside and out in a washing machine.

I have the same questions. Wondering if I should just buy the kit from granger with the detergent + the spray dwr. Is it better to use the wash in dwr from nikwax?

excaliber

WKR
Sorry guys I just saw this. I have no affiliation with the company. The Atsko permanent water guard is a spray that works really well. I can't recommend it enough and everyone that I know who used it has nothing but high praise for how it works.

Mable300

Lil-Rokslider
Just used the Granger down wash on my Kuiu down vest and hoodie, and also on a down quilt for the first time..works excellent. Prior to that have used Nikwax. I think you can’t go wrong with either.