Clothing

Ahzz

FNG
What clothing lines do you backpack sheep hunters prefer? Sitka, KUIU , Under Armour Hunt, other? Looking for pros and cons before I buy. What works for you what doesn’t?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I don’t draw sheep tags every year (ha) but do a lot backpack supported. Your answer is going to depend on body build for lots and the particular companies for block. Both Sitka and Kuiu make a lot of good stuff. Kuiu’s focus on weight reduction across a clothing system is certainly a consideration, though that gap has been more close recently.

For most I don’t think UA hunt is in the conversation honestly.

For Sitka, would start with either light merino or core LW hoody base, ambient hoody mid, kelvin down lite insulation, and dew point top/bottom. Throw in ascent or heavier pant, and you’ve got a good system, add down pants as needed.

I’m sure someone will chime in with comparable Kuiu “system.”

Honestly I’d consider some solid colored arctyrex pieces as well….that goes for any of it really, unless you really want to support a specific hunting clothing manufacturer.

The best pieces come from different companies. Kuiu fits me well and you could easily go exclusive with them for sheep hunting if they fit you. Sitka's reluctancy to include hip vents and zip-off baselayers had me choose Kuiu for over a decade now for bottoms. First Lite used to have the best merino baselayers, but Kuiu, Sitka, and Stone Glacier all now have comparable wool.

ROKnROAL

FNG
Wear what you want, and what you can afford. All these people dropping whole paycheques on a hunting ‘system’ cause they’re married to the brand are a good representation of advertising at work. Mountaineering companies make just as good of stuff for a fraction of the price. Even UA stuff can be good for the cost, even if it ‘isn’t in the conversation’. Just get earth tones. Sheep don’t care if you’re wearing camo. Fjallraven, RAB, I even have some Columbia stuff that has held up in the mountains. $600 puffy pants form Sitka won’t get you any closer to a ram than North Face ones for half the price.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wear a little bit of everything. It takes a while to get things dialed in and even then it changes when new bits come out.

I wouldn't worry about picking a brand, I'd concentrate on what are the best pieces- ie rain jacket, puffy, etc.

S-3 ranch

WKR
I wear a little bit of everything. It takes a while to get things dialed in and even then it changes when new bits come out.

I wouldn't worry about picking a brand, I'd concentrate on what are the best pieces- ie rain jacket, puffy, etc.
I’m pretty hodgepodge on clothing, poly base layer, cashmere or alpaca mid
frog rain gear, I don’t look pretty in photos, but don’t really care to
warm/ cool & dry is my goal

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
A hodgepodge of what works. Firstlite base layers, Stone Glacier helio zip off bottoms (I get hot), Outdoor Research snap button shirt thing (it's nice), OR grid fleece, Sitka Mountain pant or SG De Haviland (I think I prefer the SG, the vent is awesome), OR Ferrosi jacket (super light to get the sun, wind or light rain off), Arcteryx Beta Jacket and Pant for the wind and rain, Mountain Hardwear beanie, Kifaru LPP quarter zip and pants... you get the picture. Buy what fits your budget and the best piece, for you, for that slot. I prefer solids to camo and depending on where you hunt you can get away with red, orange and yellow (had a red Patagonia I used as a rain shell for a long time before the Arcteryx).