Cloudburst vs Chugach vs ???

was hoping for some replies and input on this topic. I've done a crud ton of research on the light weight 3L rain gear and all have pros/cons. Seems the Chugach is more breathable than the cloudburst due to different membrane technology.

some real world testing of both jackets would be helpful as well.

Theres already a ton of threads on here recommending or dismissing rain gear.
Seems the marmot precip get good reviews on here but not on other sites.
I've actually been researching a more heavy duty set.
The kuiu all seems to be pretty good reviewed and that's what I'll probably go with unless something new comes out in the next year.
But honestly from my experience and research unless you buy the $1400 kryptek stuff just be ok with being wet.
That's basically the conclusion I've been. Its ether not 100% waterproof or will sweat it out.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
The one difference you may see between the Cloudburst and the Chugach is in water retention. I read a review that looked at water retention of the outer fabric on a number of brands. I can't remember all the specs but the Cloudburst's softer brushed outer fabric holds more water than other brands once the DWR gets over saturated.

I'm on my second Chugach jacket and love it. However, I picked up a third Chugach jacket a while back that was on clearance. It was going to be a replacement when I wore out my current jacket. I ordered the same size (medium) as my two previous jackets but the sizing on this new jacket was completely different. It fit more like a large or XL and the diamater of the arms were are so big it's like wearing a wing suite. If I bought again I would buy my regular size and the next size down and return the one that didn't fit.

Beendare

WKR
My take,

The problem with rain gear reviews is the 'Mine is best' no matter they have never spent 2 weeks in pouring rain or they used it at a football game once.

Then there are the folks that don't realize you need to refresh the DWR coating on the breathable stuff. I can tell you that rubbing against SW Alaskan foliage for a week will wear down the DWR on just about any breathable jacket wetting it out. In those conditions the HH Impertech stuff shines- though its heavy and will rip.

I started with Goretex when it first came out...and multiple iterations later will never buy another GT jacket- there fail. Not just due to the DWR but it must break down over time as after a couple years of hard use- they have all failed inc. pants.

Kuiu, eVent and Pre Cip have all been very good in my experience.

I like the Kuiu. I have one of their original jackets in that stone color and after refresh- its still waterproof. I think the Chugash is awesome...and I have their NX light stuff too...its good for in your pack type Rocky Mountain elk hunts. I've never had it in more than 2 days of rain...but its not really designed for that.

The Chugash has been excellent, very durable....14 day hunt- no problem but if you are pawing through wet rain forest for 10 days...it can wet out.

______

I’ve been running the Marmot Precip jacket for several seasons Without issues now. Keep saying I’ll “upgrade” my rain coat to the Cloudburst or Chugach when the Precip craps out. It just won’t die.

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
I think that if you are anywhere that is actually wet (Alaska, PNW etc) that you should just buy the lightest PVC rain gear you can find and pack a roll of Gorilla Tape. The tape will patch any holes that accumulate (I’ve completely patch the entire ass, groin and inside the leg region of breathable waders. They’re still water proof). The lightweight breathable rain gear can just be your standard outlayer that gives you wind/water resistance and some breathing while moving and the PVC stuff will keep you dry. Pair that PVC with good base and midlayers to deal with the condensation and you‘re set. I would personally rather deal with a little damp from condensation that is reliable so I can mitigate it the same each time than dealing with something wetting out out/ripping cause its too thin or the DWR is gone and getting stuck with being cold and wet for my hunt. Warm and damp beats cold and wet. I cant find the weights for the PVC stuff (generally not important to the target crowd) but they don’t weigh a whole lot and can be packed down fairly tight if need be.

tdot

WKR
To each their own. But if I'm hunting, I am not wearing PVC. I live and hunt in the Westcoast. The newest of the membranes have all been working well and the Chugach has been substantially better then anything I've used in the past. I think I have 6 seasons on mine, maybe 100 days in the field and it doesn't have any significance damage (though I'm pretty careful with my gear). I've skied in it, sailed in it, hunted, hiked, etc. the stuff just works.

I did a 10 day hunt on Haida Gwaii, 10 days of sideways rain and I couldn't complain about my gear once. We could get the gear 75% dry at night. My brother wore the Sitka gear and he was wet everyday.

The only way I'd wear PVC is if is was riding a quad or as a backup set for camp chores on a very wet hunt.