Cmr Montana archery elk

tymcewen

FNG
Thinking of cashing in my points for the breaks this year (2022) never been to Montana, but love the more open country the breaks appears to be. Most likely solo, anyone hunted this unit recently? I have some con ears for grizzlies, as well as people and if there are any obvious places to stay away from? Killed a few elk with a bow, and looking to put a decent bull on the ground. Any information is welcomed . Thank you in advance-Ty

GoBig

FNG
Never hunted elk there but have hunted deer around there and seen some good bulls. Can't speak to any places but no grizzlies in those parts that I know of. Don't know how many points you have or what it takes to draw but I am guessing its a lot, 15+ maybe more?

hobbes

WKR
The CMR isn't just located in one "unit". Montana is not a preference point system, so you aren't just cashing in your points and guaranteed a license like a preference point system. However, I don't follow the odds for drawing in the Breaks. It looks like the archery permits aren't terribly hard to draw. As stated, you don't need to worry about grizzly there. There are plenty of hunters everywhere in Montana and all of them are "looking to put a decent bull on the ground".

OP
T

tymcewen

FNG
Never hunted elk there but have hunted deer around there and seen some good bulls. Can't speak to any places but no grizzlies in those parts that I know of. Don't know how many points you have or what it takes to draw but I am guessing its a lot, 15+ maybe more?
Thanks man, I don’t want to be messing with grizzlies if I can help it. Archery tag not rifle. So 6 points

OP
T

tymcewen

FNG
The CMR isn't just located in one "unit". Montana is not a preference point system, so you aren't just cashing in your points and guaranteed a license like a preference point system. However, I don't follow the odds for drawing in the Breaks. It looks like the archery permits aren't terribly hard to draw. As stated, you don't need to worry about grizzly there. There are plenty of hunters everywhere in Montana and all of them are "looking to put a decent bull on the ground".
Thanks for the info on the draw system. I have crunched the numbers on various sites and figure I have a good chance to draw the archery tag. A decent bull for me would be not a spike. I was looking into 410-621 “unit”

bsnedeker

WKR
Probably a better conversation can be had after fwp approves the regs for next year. they are talking about some huge changes in this region.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
T

tymcewen

FNG
Probably a better conversation can be had after fwp approves the regs for next year. they are talking about some huge changes in this region.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Yeah I saw that.. kinda why I want to hunt it once

bsnedeker

WKR
Yeah I saw that.. kinda why I want to hunt it once
It's possible you might not even need points to draw...they is a discussion about making it good on a general tag but at this point who the hell knows what FWP is gonna do?

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
I highly doubt they will change the breaks zones to general as they got a lot of pushback on that idea. I would ask yourself if you want to call elk or just stalk elk as there's some much pressure in the breaks during archery season they will most likely go the opposite way if you call. Make sure if you go you understand what gumbo clay is and have a plan if it rains....you won't be able to go or leave depending on where you are if it starts raining. Other than that...no griz...just rattle snakes and cactus and a lot of wind...good luck

OP
T

tymcewen

FNG
Not a caller, love my glass.. and yeah I’ve heard of the gumbo.. sounds like bring a wall tent and draw.. I am use to cactus and buzzwords.. thank you for the advice everyone..if any of you are hunting Arizona and like some help or info let me know

I prefer 410 but the elk can be tough. Get up off the river and away from roads, good ridges there that you can walk and call off of or glass. Seems there’s about 1.5-2 weeks of fired up elk. I think you’ll have a good chance of finding more than a spike if you don’t get picky

Scoot

WKR
...just rattle snakes and cactus and a lot of wind...
I dealt with all three of them the last time I was there. Plus rain!!! Unbelievable how much the rain shut us down. I was skeptical it would be that much of a show stopper, but I was wrong. Had a rattler take a snap at me, had my buddy pulling cactus quills outta my butt with a leatherman, and the wind... well... it blew (a lot some days).

kcg003

FNG
I prefer 410 but the elk can be tough. Get up off the river and away from roads, good ridges there that you can walk and call off of or glass. Seems there’s about 1.5-2 weeks of fired up elk. I think you’ll have a good chance of finding more than a spike if you don’t get picky
Day 3 in the breaks and nothing going. We bumped one on the river in the thick stuff yesterday but overall the sign is old. These elk are tough for sure. I’m not so sure they’re even here. We’ve covered a lot of ground near the river and away. Found a nice secluded water hole not a track to be found near it. Might have to try a different area altogether. Anybody else having luck? Advice and suggestions are appreciated. Good luck!

BuckRut

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck. That place is the driest I have ever seen it. Most the elk are probably down by the river and they are very difficult to get up on down there.

I highly doubt they will change the breaks zones to general as they got a lot of pushback on that idea. I would ask yourself if you want to call elk or just stalk elk as there's some much pressure in the breaks during archery season they will most likely go the opposite way if you call. Make sure if you go you understand what gumbo clay is and have a plan if it rains....you won't be able to go or leave depending on where you are if it starts raining. Other than that...no griz...just rattle snakes and cactus and a lot of wind...good luck
Exactly what he said about gumbo. O just got done spending 2 nights in my vehicle because it rained and i got stuck. It aint to be played around with

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk