CO 1st rifle gear list

buckwalleye

Lil-Rokslider
Am I missing anything obvious??

This is only my second elk hunt. Did OTC archery in 2019. I’m a nervous wreck about this upcoming rifle hunt.

2021 elk gear list
◦ Clothing - tops
FL 250 hood FL 150 hood
FL 200 henley Kuiu merino t
FL soft shell jacket FL puffy
Orange vest Kuiu guide vest
Plythal packable rain jacket
◦ Clothing - bottoms
Black Ovis 200 FL 350 furnace zipoffs
FL 150 3/4 FL guide lite
FL sawbuck
◦ Clothing - miscellaneous
FL talus gloves FL merino liner gloves
FL socks Kuiu socks
Darn tough socks Orange hat
FL neck gaiter Kenetrek boot gaiter
FL orange/ash beanie Belt
Schnees timberline Crocs
Muck boot apex mid
◦ Sleep system
Paria 2p tent Klymit static v pad
Down quilt Big Agnes 20 degree bag
Klymit pillow Nemo switchback short foam
◦ Electronics
iPhone 11 Anker power bank
Garmin instinct iPhone charging cord
Garmin charge cord Black Diamond headlamp
ENO moonbeam Midland 2 way radios
AAA batteries
◦ Cooking
Cook pot Vac thermos
Pocket stove Butane can
Long spoon Lighter
◦ Food
Peak refuel (6) RX bars
Honey stinger Tortillas
Nut butter packs Kodiak oats
Coffee Trail mix
Vitamins
◦ Kill kit
Game bags Outdoor edge razor
Extra blades Pelvic saw
Contractor bag Paracord
◦ Optics
Nikon m5 10x42 Vortex rangefinder
Bino harness Window mount
Spotting scope (dad) Tripod

◦ Miscellaneous
First aid kit Steripen
Water bags Nalgene
Gear ties Paracord
Wind checker
Trekking poles Dude wipes
TP Tooth brush
Tooth paste

◦ Weapon
Tikka t3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prm

WKR
Ammo
License
Hunter safety card
(Obvious items I know, but if you’re like me, if it’s not in the list I‘ll likely forget)

If you‘ve hiked in those muck boots and they work, go for it. I‘d want a different boot.

edit:
  • I always have two headlamps
  • Compass (I have one tied to my pack)
  • Just noticed you also have a down quilt…. Never mind. I have a 15deg bag and some years it’s not enough to be comfortable. A Kifaru woobie wrapped around bag will fix that in a hurry and is great for glassing. Just depends on where you’ll be. Some places don‘t tend to get as cold.
  • Packing in or staying near truck? Seems like a lot of clothes if packing in.
  • Plan B if Steripen dies? A light Sawyer or tablets are good insurance.

Last edited:

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
X2 on the Mucks. Those things don't belong in the mountains. Use some leather goretex hiking boots. If you are backpacking you have too many clothes and no real food like mt house. Otherwise it looks like you'll survive. October can be cold.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
How you listed your clothes is confusing. reads like your bringing way to much or is some of it alternatives your debating on?

Northpark

WKR
Like others have said easy on the clothes. Don’t get me wrong I hate getting cold but it’s easy to pack too much clothing. I have frozen in a 15 degree bag in September but it looks like your pad is a decent r value.

You need more food. High fat and protein with some carb options. 3000 calories per day.

Sherman

WKR
Find out if your quilt/bag is comfort rated or survival rated. My hammock Gear quilts are comfort rated at 20 degrees. I’ve had them in 14 degrees sleeping in my skivvies and stayed warm. My buddy has a 0 degree bag sleeping on an R4.6 rated pad and froze his butt off. Had to layer up in the middle of the night. That was over Labor Day weekend when it only got to around 30 degrees around 9200’ elevation.

I also bring little packs of electrolytes to add to my water.

Have a plan to hang your food near camp while hunting and/or overnight.

OP
B

buckwalleye

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. Adding to the list!

Mucks are a truck camp boot if needed. I do have the schnees timberlines boots listed in there, and plan on using only them.

The clothes - I really don’t know what to expect for weather. I’ve read it could be 60+ degrees, and/or feet of snow. I’m bringing the majority of the clothing I have, and will decide what goes in the pack when I get there.

“Plan a” is hiking in for camp, approx site being 3 miles from where the trucks are left. Backup plans may include truck camping if needed.

Also I forgot on the list (added now). A few iodine tabs in my vitamin container, and I also throw in a Sawyer squeeze mini - in case the steripen fails as mentioned.

Several comments on the sleep setup. I used everything listed on a scouting trip/turkey hunt in April in Colorado. A couple nights hit mid 30s for temps and I was perfectly fine. And I didn’t have the Nemo foam pad then either. Nemo pad coming along this time for added insulation later between ground and klymit pad. Was also planning to just use that as a butt pad too - just lash on the pack and use for the day. Also another thing I thought would be handy with taking the Nemo pad along is use as a mid day lounger.

Thanks for all the help!

OP
B

buckwalleye

Lil-Rokslider
X2 on the Mucks. Those things don't belong in the mountains. Use some leather goretex hiking boots. If you are backpacking you have too many clothes and no real food like mt house. Otherwise it looks like you'll survive. October can be cold.

I like the peak refuel over mountain house. The peak refuel will be my hot meal in the evening or when back to camp.

Schnees timberline boots listed also and will be running those.

OP
B

buckwalleye

Lil-Rokslider
Find out if your quilt/bag is comfort rated or survival rated. My hammock Gear quilts are comfort rated at 20 degrees. I’ve had them in 14 degrees sleeping in my skivvies and stayed warm. My buddy has a 0 degree bag sleeping on an R4.6 rated pad and froze his butt off. Had to layer up in the middle of the night. That was over Labor Day weekend when it only got to around 30 degrees around 9200’ elevation.

I also bring little packs of electrolytes to add to my water.

Have a plan to hang your food near camp while hunting and/or overnight.

Edit on the sleeping bag - it’s a big Agnes spike lake 15 degree. - if anyone has any real world experience in colder temps with this bag chime in!

I gotta do a little more digging on the comfort/survival rating.

Good reminders on the food and electrolytes thanks!

prm

WKR
Ha, I saw Schnees timberline crocs and thought it was just crocs.

Fire starter? A couple Trioxane bars can be handy.

You look set to me. Have a great hunt!

OP
B

buckwalleye

Lil-Rokslider
Ha, I saw Schnees timberline crocs and thought it was just crocs.

Fire starter? A couple Trioxane bars can be handy.

You look set to me. Have a great hunt!

Ah good call on the fire stuff. I’ve just used cotton balls soaked in Vaseline. Added to the list!

rdp123

Lil-Rokslider
I usually keep a light tarp in my bag for weather or emergency shelter, and echo on the food. There's a lot of good options out there, I usually stick some pouches of beef, bacon bits and jerky in my pack, and that stuff goes into everything from ramen to oatmeal.

IanCOLO

FNG
Expect temps from 20’s to 60’s. There will most likely be some snow. The challenge with normal tent camping is getting gear and clothes dry without a stove.

Clothing wise I like light merino wool or heavier zip-off merino wool layers. Zip-off puffy pants are nice if it’s cold. You don’t need a lot of clothes just the right ones.

Make sure to take extra calories.

I have Kifaru sheep tarp that is pretty handy for keeping out of the elements while glassing.

Gila

WKR
I pretty much have my gear stored in some large chests and just pull them out of the garage and inventory. I put things into categories. Packs are kinda important. I bring two. A large one and a day pack. My large pack has a rifle carrier. Don’t see a tent or a heater or much of a camp setup mentioned in your list. I wouldn’t worry so much about rain as I would a snow storm. You have to be ready for howling winds and blowing snow. Even if the weather is mild and warm during the day, it will go down into the teens or low 20s at night.

I use a wall tent with wood stove to stay warm and dry out. A buddy heater would be nice for getting up in the morning. You will need a sleeping bag rated at -15 to -25 to be comfortable. They are heavy and they ain’t cheap, but worth it in my opinion. I like an oversized heavy duty cot and good quality mattress. I also like hot water so I can take a bird bath. I bring hot hands and foot warmers. As others have stated, good quality boots with gaiters are paramount. Camp lights and lots of em.

One season many moons ago, I was hunting close to home so I just used a 4 season tent to camp out the night before the opener. I woke up to a howling wind, driving pea sized sleet sideways. The tent did it’s job, but it was hovering around 10 deg. I was cold and didn’t get much sleep. I made it to the hunting spot before sunrise. After that , I just packed it up and hunted from home for the rest of the season. My hunts are usually 3-4 hours away or further, so I make a home away from home for the entire season. Cell phone coverage is of concern in some places. I always bring an in-reach and plenty of battery packs.

NickyD

Lil-Rokslider
It looks like you have a lot of clothes that are all very similar. I would recommend getting rid of one of your baselayers and adding a down jacket to the mix. You could end up freezing if you sit a meadow or do some glassing for a few hours. Two years ago a friend almost got hypothermia with a similar clothing setup had we not heated up some water.
I also think you have this covered with your thermos, but make sure you can heat up water for warmth. Don’t leave it at camp. I personally bring my jetboil on every hunt