CO 1st Rifle

How did everyone do this year? I came back a day early. The moon was full and not much sign of them in the area. It was really dry and hot during the day. There was about 3 camps and I don't think anyone got one.

SeanDC

Lil-Rokslider
My brother and I just called it a day early in GMU 65. Like you said hot and dry. We put about 35 miles under our boots over several areas of the unit. Not a single shot fired on opening day where we were. Talked to several hunters and can confirm about 12 animals down throughout all the people we talked to and everyone in their camps. We figured out too late they were all still way up on the highest ridges. With 2 days left we considered taking the hike which would be 4 miles and 2,000ft of elevation to get to the elk. Decided it wouldn't be wise to attempt to get one out in our packs in that timing with our exhausted conditions. Main deciding factor was my brother's knee started giving him fits. Amazing experience over beautiful country, but if you want an elk you need a horse or a lot of gusto.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I was down in 82; I covered almost 40 miles on foot and never heard a shot the entire hunt. I hunted up until yesterday, but between the wildfires, warm temps and crowds, I never even saw an elk...

brsnow

WKR
Similar experience, only heard one shot each day. We did get into some elk but where unable to get it done.

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
My brother and I just called it a day early in GMU 65. Like you said hot and dry. We put about 35 miles under our boots over several areas of the unit. Not a single shot fired on opening day where we were. Talked to several hunters and can confirm about 12 animals down throughout all the people we talked to and everyone in their camps. We figured out too late they were all still way up on the highest ridges. With 2 days left we considered taking the hike which would be 4 miles and 2,000ft of elevation to get to the elk. Decided it wouldn't be wise to attempt to get one out in our packs in that timing with our exhausted conditions. Main deciding factor was my brother's knee started giving him fits. Amazing experience over beautiful country, but if you want an elk you need a horse or a lot of gusto.

+1
CC.jpg

brsnow

WKR
Horses didn’t help, we were around or past numerous horses and drop camps as we searched for elk. I just need to really refine my dark timber skill set. Tough conditions

SeanDC

Lil-Rokslider
Horses didn’t help, we were around or past numerous horses and drop camps as we searched for elk. I just need to really refine my dark timber skill set. Tough conditions
My brother and I hiked some dark timber areas around 9,500 and saw virtually no sign. Stalking dark timber is something I definitely need to work on as well. Yesterday I pushed one elk out to another hunter on my way through really rough blow down on my way up to 10k.

Talked to a couple guys that hired an outfitter and did a drop camp with a guide. Saw nothing.
df007bf359bed137fbed828508c885af.jpg

mncoolbeans

Lil-Rokslider
Was in CO. unit-4, My first Elk Hunt. On Private Land along with 9 other Hunters. 8 of 10 guys tagged out Day one with all 5x5 Bulls. Day 2, the other 2 hunters tagged out with 2 more 5x5 Bulls. Shot my Bull near Bears Ears at least within Eyesight. Most of the Elk I seen at least were on the Tops in the Scrub Oaks.

Had to do a 2-mile Run, Walk , Stop spot and Stalk to take my first 5x5 Bull. Shot him at 275 yards with my 6.5 CM, (Shooting the Hornady Precision Hunter 143gr ELDX) One Shot Double Lung pass through, he went maybe 40 yards running down a hill and then went ass over teakettle and was done. Love the Mountains in Colorado, saw Cougar and Bear Tracks as well. Most of the guys at camp shot their Bulls between 11am and 1pm when herd after herd of Elk finally made it over from the public land to the private land.

Attachments

• image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    84.3 KB · Views: 219
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    68.9 KB · Views: 222
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 215
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    66.7 KB · Views: 212
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    90.6 KB · Views: 208
  • image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
What is everyone's strategy for still hunting the blown down areas? Slow movement and lots of listening? Occasional cow calls? We faced a lot of the same up in the Walden area this season.

SeanDC

Lil-Rokslider
What is everyone's strategy for still hunting the blown down areas? Slow movement and lots of listening? Occasional cow calls? We faced a lot of the same up in the Walden area this season.
That's how we did it. Not sure it's the best way

Heard 2 shots. Couldn't get a shot for my wife at at 5*5 in dark timber. He was surrounded by cows.

Minimal bugling and probably 30% elk population of what I am used to. It was bad.

How did everyone do this year? I came back a day early. The moon was full and not much sign of them in the area. It was really dry and hot during the day. There was about 3 camps and I don't think anyone got one.
What unit were you hunting? I was in 19 with my younger brother in law and didnt see much pressure from other hunters. We were in good signs, good tracks, and the morning of the 2nd day, Sunday he woke up around 2 or 3am and wouldnt stop vomiting. So we called it a hunt. Rather carry him from his sleeping bag to the truck than try to carry him 4 miles down the mountain. No elk tag filled for 1st rifle.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

andy57

FNG
Exciting reading, Hopefully 2020 ,my son and I will be in Co for first rifle. Working hard now in recovery from double bypass surgery

Vandy321

WKR
Left a day early as well. 1 bull down that we saw, another shot but never recovered (fellas was out hunting again) We packed in, camped high, single digit temps at night near 12k, hunted the transition areas...elk were there but would not leave the timber, some sign but not alot..assuming they were out at night with full moon. Glassed Friday -Tuesday morning and night. Buddy pushed a few cows around in timber and i had 1 cow come out of treeline while glassing, she was out to get water for 3 minutes, then back to the timber, that was the only elk I saw in 5 days. Felt bad leaving early but I was mentally checked out, makes it a little better I'm not the only one. Still a great time, just a little bummed we couldnt get into them.

Last edited: