CO - 21 vs 22 Rifle Buck

Status
Not open for further replies.

TygerJ

FNG
Those with experience in these units, especially during 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons, I’d love to chat; privately or here publicly.

Sitting on a handful of deer points that are itching to be burned this year. Assessing these two as options.

Interested in access and overall quality of experience in these respective units.

Also should note that I’ve seen posts about 22 not having public access that previously was provided via a CPW/Energy company(s) agreement. Curious about that if anyone knows anything on that topic.

Last edited:

stdeb11

FNG
I hunted 21 this past year. My recommendation would be to the call the biologist/DWM out there as he gave me great info to help me narrow down my focus and gave great intel on what to expect from a quality standpoint.

Overall, had a fun hunt and shot a 4x4. I did see plenty of deer, but plenty of hunters driving the roads as well.

Last edited:
Both 21 and 22 are a far cry from the good ol days. Hunted 21 in 2017 and 22 in 2018 and 2019. There are a few good bucks killed in each area every year but the majority are killed on private. If you have expectations of a 180” deer in either area it is possible but not likely. I definitely don’t think they are worth the points to draw a 3rd season tag at this point. You will see tons more 4pt bucks in 21 but the majority are like 160” 3 year olds. Not sure where the heck to find the next age class. As always an early winter with a lot of snow will help tremendously but I didn’t have that in the years I hunted 3rd season in those areas

OP
TygerJ

TygerJ

FNG
If anyone else has anything to share on their experiences on either of these units/tags, I’d love to hear via pm. Thanks!

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Tagging in.

I'm seriously considering CO GMU 21 for 2nd rifle also. I did this same hunt back in 2010. But didn't learn a lot about the area/unit.

I hunted 22 2nd season last year. On the topic of public access, yes, a good chunk of the unit no longer allows public hunting. It's pretty easy to see on the Colorado Hunting Atlas. Basically the whole western edge, which incidentally is some of the most rugged country in the unit. You can still drive the road dividing 21 and 22 along cathedral bluffs, but you'll have to dump off the eastern side and drive a ways before you hit the public again. If you're just looking at a map it doesn't seem like it's that large of an area that's off-limits, but it feels a lot bigger when you're out there.

It was not my favorite unit I've ever hunted, and I only picked it due to having knee surgery that year, and 22 having a lot of roads. I hunted all week and from what I gleaned, the guys that hadn't hunted there before struggled to find good bucks, and the guys that had hunted there multiple times weren't near as frustrated. You could say that about a lot of hunts but I felt that was true more so in 22 than the numerous units I've previously hunted.

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted 21 this past year. My recommendation would be to the call the biologist/DWM out there as he gave me great info to help me narrow down my focus and gave great intel on what to expect from a quality standpoint.

Overall, had a fun hunt and shot a 4x4. I did see plenty of deer, but plenty of hunters driving the roads as well.
When I hunted there we saw plenty of hunters too. But a good portion of them had elk tags. Can you post a pic of your buck please?

OP
TygerJ

TygerJ

FNG
Circling back on this. Hunting 21 this year. Would love to talk to previous tag holders privately.

intheup

FNG
I can give a little help relating to pressure and access in 21 that i had to find out being there if you go that route.
I'd be interested in any help you'd be interested in giving. I've been escouting 21. I leave Wednesday to head out to hunt.

Expect to see lots of people. Tfy to find those little spots that dont get hit. Also be ready for snow. Chains would be wise

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I would consider frequenting the Rangely Dragon Road, there can be a lot of deer spotted during the first two days of season. After that they become scarcer.

Be forewarned...you will see "lots of camps and hunters". Probably most of them will be Elk hunters though. Since they're not hunting deer sometimes they'll share deer intel with you.

We hunted GMU 21 last fall. My oldest son shot this one. For reference he is 6' and around 220#.

Be safe and Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_0779.JPEG
    IMG_0779.JPEG
    639.4 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

svivian

WKR
That unit has been hammered. I was invited and attended the CPW meeting about Mule deer in this unit a few years ago. They are trying to get a healthier population of deer. I've noticed a pretty large decrease in quality of deer over the last 5 years. I hunted it this archery season and was completely disappointed in the caliber of bucks compared to what used to be up there. I ended up eating my tag as I did not need to fill it on small 3x3 and 4x3 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.