CO 2nd/3rd season rifle OTC recommendations

Marble

WKR
Well taken. I think what its really going to come down to is if I can finish my kit and give it a full field test in February/March in my area. That's when we get our worst weather and it's currently single digits and snowing. If I can get a few field tests with below zero in I'd feel a lot better. If I cant, then I'll likely go the truck method. My biggest thing was just trying to get into deep country to try to put some space between myself and as many others as possible, but I'd also rather not die haha I didnt think of 2 pairs of boots, but it absolutely makes sense on the glassing sessions. Thank you for the advice

IME. You will only need a few miles in. Then anything off trail a bit will be even better. Very few make it 2-3 miles, and even less make it another couple off the trail.

For the testing of your gear. Give it a dry run in less than extreme conditions. Baby steps...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
L

Los4212

FNG
IME. You will only need a few miles in. Then anything off trail a bit will be even better. Very few make it 2-3 miles, and even less make it another couple off the trail.

For the testing of your gear. Give it a dry run in less than extreme conditions. Baby steps...

Heard. Also worth noting we plan on packing in a seek outside titanium stove. Perhaps leaning now towards having the supplies in the truck to make a truck camp if things get bad, and if conditions/forecast are mild-moderate staying on the mountain. I asked before but I feel like it got caught up in the cluster, any issues with camp theft? I know you can never account fully for 100% of people and theres always "that guy" but as a general rule are people respectful of not looting camp sites if they're left for the day? Or should I (back country) still plan on having to make/breakdown/pack camp every day?

Marble

WKR
I've never had someone get into my camp in the back country in my entire life. Nor any of my friends.

We had animals we've killed taken. That was in the 90s.

But no one has messed with our vehicles or our camps.

You're more likely to loose or forget something than to have it stolen.

OP
L

Los4212

FNG
I've never had someone get into my camp in the back country in my entire life. Nor any of my friends.

We had animals we've killed taken. That was in the 90s.

But no one has messed with our vehicles or our camps.

You're more likely to loose or forget something than to have it stolen.

That's good to know at least. Appreciate the info. Def makes me feel a bit more at ease. I've never been able to understand the logic behind stealing others game. Unless you're literally starving to death I dont see what it does for a person. I know a fee people who have lost trophies right out of their sheds/barns that way. Same with poaching/jacking animals at night. Congrats, you did 0 work and cheated to kill an animal. Happy to see most states are beefing up their game laws and those that dont already have wanton waste laws are adapting them.

11boo

WKR
Anything can happen as far as camp/ vehicle theft. That said, I have camps that have been up for a couple weeks or more in heavily used units in W Colorado and have never had a problem. You are more likely to have your window smashed out in the city for the change in your cup holder.

I would consider the truck camp over the pack in camp.

Marble

WKR
That's good to know at least. Appreciate the info. Def makes me feel a bit more at ease. I've never been able to understand the logic behind stealing others game. Unless you're literally starving to death I dont see what it does for a person. I know a fee people who have lost trophies right out of their sheds/barns that way. Same with poaching/jacking animals at night. Congrats, you did 0 work and cheated to kill an animal. Happy to see most states are beefing up their game laws and those that dont already have wanton waste laws are adapting them.
I had a guy attempt to steal mine one time. Until I walked on him while doing it and he tried to play it off.

The two bulls my buddy lost were pretty deep in the back country. When he returned the following day with horses, all that was left was boot/tennis shoe tracks (from what he described) and the remnants of the carcass. He followed them all the way to another trailhead. So they got away with it...

The guy that tried it on mine owns land near where I killed the bull. One of thebguys in his group saw me shoot the animals. I shot a cow and a bull out of one herd, but they were hald mile apart. I slit the neck on the bull and pointed it down hill to drain anymore blood, then left it to go take care of the cow. While heading to my cow, I heard a gunshot behind me that was fairly close. But I had a shit ton of work to do so I didn't think much of it. When I returned to the bull, the guy was gutting the bull. Two other guys had their packs off and were getting elk bags out and such. He told me he thought someone shot it and just didn't find it. I pointed out that the neck was cut and he's says, "Oh yeah." I said, "You notice the bullet though the back of the head too?" The horns were completely split from the bullet going though the head. It eaa very obvious. They packed their crap and left.

Make sure that you and your vehicle are prepared for the possibility of cold and deep snow. Tire chains and a good tow strap (and/or winch) are a must of you plan to be driving around above 9,000' to access places to hunt. In the part of the state where I hunt the last 2 years 2nd season has had a blizzard while 3rd season wasn't nearly as cold or snowy. The seasons are just a couple weeks apart so don't assume that because 2nd is in october that it will be fall and 3rd in november will be winter.

We usually set up a base camp and if the weather is conducive we will spike out in a place we like that is about 3-4 miles in. It just saves a lot of walking at each end of the day. But when we get a foot or two of snow and 40 mph winds we are in the base camp tent with heat every night, and sometimes mid day for a warm up!

OP
L

Los4212

FNG
Make sure that you and your vehicle are prepared for the possibility of cold and deep snow. Tire chains and a good tow strap (and/or winch) are a must of you plan to be driving around above 9,000' to access places to hunt. In the part of the state where I hunt the last 2 years 2nd season has had a blizzard while 3rd season wasn't nearly as cold or snowy. The seasons are just a couple weeks apart so don't assume that because 2nd is in october that it will be fall and 3rd in november will be winter.

We usually set up a base camp and if the weather is conducive we will spike out in a place we like that is about 3-4 miles in. It just saves a lot of walking at each end of the day. But when we get a foot or two of snow and 40 mph winds we are in the base camp tent with heat every night, and sometimes mid day for a warm up!
We had similar weather where I live in the least this year. We had about 10" of snow by holloween, but November was fairly mild. As for the chains, ect. It's incredibly ironic you mention this as I was literally looking at buying some today for this exact purpose. I plow with my truck and have done a few storms with 30+ inches, but for some reason I've never thought to add them. Then I was watching an episode of Randy Newberg and he was running a pair in super deep snow and I got thinking "That may not be a bad idea" As for the camping, I'm pretty much just going into it with about 3 plans in place depending on how it all plays out after talking to you guys here. Again, thank you for the feedback

Welcome to late season hunting- 3rd season will be two weeks later this year than in 2019! Opening day is starting November 13 so there may be a lot of snow or at least cold weather is addition to many hunters and outfitters. Last year, we woke up to snow and 50mph wind on the second day of 2nd season, so a tent and stove are essential. Hunting an OTC tag in colorado is a humbling experience, but with some "proper planning" and a little luck, you should be able to see elk. Consider yourself fortunate to get a shot at one.

Randy Newberg has a system (and video on youtube) for locating elk during the different seasons and it is spot on. Glassing from the nearest hill/mountain will locate holed up elk, maybe up to 3-5 miles away, in the morning and evenings. If none are seen, then move to the next area and glass some more until you find elk. Once found, go after them and shoot the first legal bull/cow you see. You may not get another shot. I'll importantly, check out the co dow website specifically the statistics page and the hunting atlas. Lots of good information.

Strenuous cardiovascular exercise in the months before the hunt will make it more enjoyable. There's nothing quite like packing an elk out of a backcountry hellhole if you've never done it.