Co 2nd-4th Rifle ELK Glass/No Glass and Burn/No Burn

bccowboy

FNG
I have a second rifle cow and a third rifle either sex that I'll be hunting this year in the same unit I hunted 4th rifle last year (that was my first year-no elk huge learning experience). I picked a unit (s) that neighbor each other and unfortunately have a ton of roads. I've scoured GoHunt/Onx and there are just so many roads and atv trails that it's hard to get away from everyone. Also, I only own a pair of 10x50 binoculars so glassing may not be the most efficient option for me (or maybe it is?) with lack of equipment and lack of glassing spots.

During these seasons is it deemed a decent idea to still hunt or do you still need to get up high and try to find em first? Also, one of these units was burned up pretty good. I assume the burn will be insanely crowded this year so maybe it's best to try to stay away from it or try to figure out where hunters will push the Elk? I feel like in these seasons it's more luck of the draw than anything.

Thanks for any advice.

Grant K

FNG
I'd be glassing, you don't need big glass to find elk at reasonable distances, I use 10's far more than I use 15's or a spotter for most elk hunting. Also, you don't necessarily need to be far from the road, look for places where the terrain isolates the road, small ridges right next to the road are great, they hide the majority of the terrain from people who stay on the road...it doesn't filter everyone out but even a half-mile walk to a spot you can see filters out a huge amount of competition...
I'm not super familiar with those burns but I'd for sure consider them, a quick look at OnX shows a bunch of little hidden drainages, assuming that there is still some unburned cover there should be elk...

snvts82

FNG
Those units are gonna be packed with people burn or no burn. The accessibility from roads and proximity to the front range make it super popular. I haven’t been to that area this year but with the wet spring I’m assuming the grasses came in thick, so that with the burn will make it even more crowded. I hunt a otc unit north of there that super popular with road hunters. My strategy and I know some will argue is to find a vantage point with good viewing and get there before first light before all the maniacs fire up there atvs and utvs. I’ve found most units like this are way less pressured a mile back, if you area has the space for that, with the animals staying away from the craziness. Your glass is plenty for what you’re doing especially in a burn area. Preseason scouting helps too especially finding the best ways to move into areas with blowing animals out.

OP
B

bccowboy

FNG
I scouted hard all day, glassing dark timber, sitting before sundown trying to catch some coming out. Have seen some real ok’d elk sign but I’m only coming across deer sign and even found a few feeding in some timber. I’ve tried some areas that were part of the burn and not camping at one that is bordering the burn. Really just not sure what to do.

AM plan. Get an early start up high and glass down. Maybe mid day I might try to earl through some of this thick timber and see if I can’t jump a cow. Otherwise back to glassing in the evening. What more can you do

CoStick

WKR
Don’t forget to have fun. It sometimes helps with success. Just keep going and enjoy what you are doing.