CO 2nd rifle 2020 plan

Popcan

FNG
I'm a new member, (today) and thought I'd see if I could get some feed back.

I have a 2nd season buck tag in the steamboat springs area. My plan is to try a few days around 10k ft. If I don't see anything, then I'll move down to 9k ft for a few days, and if that doesn't work I'll move and finish the week around 8k ft. I have spots picked out at each elevation. Does this sound like a decent plan or is it flawed? It sounds like cold and snow for the first weekend. Is it too late in the year for deer to be up that high?

Fyi, this is my fifth season, and I'm yet to get a deer. I have no mentor or hunting partner and have been going solo from the start. My son is coming of age, his first deer hunt will be next year. I'm really trying to get things figured out before I take him out.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Marble

WKR
If the weather doesn't dump several feet of snow then they will stay in the high country.

Find a place to spot. Watch them go to bed. Hike in and get within your comfortable shooting distance.

I have 100% success with a rifle the last 5 years doing this.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve killed bucks over 11k during 2nd season. Each year is different with where they are due to weather, pressure and drought conditions. It’s been hot, so I’d start high and work lower like you mentioned.
Good luck up there. Everything is very dry, and campfires are a big no no, even if it’s snowing.

OP
Popcan

Popcan

FNG
I’ve killed bucks over 11k during 2nd season. Each year is different with where they are due to weather, pressure and drought conditions. It’s been hot, so I’d start high and work lower like you mentioned.
Good luck up there. Everything is very dry, and campfires are a big no no, even if it’s snowing.
Thanks. Ya I don't want to be the guy that's starts the next big fire.

Lytro

WKR
I'm a new member, (today) and thought I'd see if I could get some feed back.

I have a 2nd season buck tag in the steamboat springs area. My plan is to try a few days around 10k ft. If I don't see anything, then I'll move down to 9k ft for a few days, and if that doesn't work I'll move and finish the week around 8k ft. I have spots picked out at each elevation. Does this sound like a decent plan or is it flawed? It sounds like cold and snow for the first weekend. Is it too late in the year for deer to be up that high?

Fyi, this is my fifth season, and I'm yet to get a deer. I have no mentor or hunting partner and have been going solo from the start. My son is coming of age, his first deer hunt will be next year. I'm really trying to get things figured out before I take him out.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
That plan could work. Just be prepared to switch plans if needed. That area can get A LOT of snow in a little amount of time.

Sounds like a good plan. I would suggest finding the best possible vantage point and spend a fare amount of time glassing. If you’re not to picky on size there are usually spikes and forkies running with the larger doe groups in second season. Try to get at least 1 mile from any road or trail and keep a eye on the weather. It’s supposed to be in the single digits this weekend and I imagine it will be around or below 0 above 11k. However the storm is supposed to break sometime Monday. As soon as it breaks get out there. They will be up and feeding. I’ve had great success in years past on deer and elk hunting immediately after a storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Popcan

Popcan

FNG
Sounds like a good plan. I would suggest finding the best possible vantage point and spend a fare amount of time glassing. If you’re not to picky on size there are usually spikes and forkies running with the larger doe groups in second season. Try to get at least 1 mile from any road or trail and keep a eye on the weather. It’s supposed to be in the single digits this weekend and I imagine it will be around or below 0 above 11k. However the storm is supposed to break sometime Monday. As soon as it breaks get out there. They will be up and feeding. I’ve had great success in years past on deer and elk hunting immediately after a storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the tips. I'm definitely thinking hard on my clothing choices, for sure.