CO 2nd rifle gear list

Kenai_dtracker

Lil-Rokslider
4 of us from the east coast elk hunted last season's 3rd rifle, and had a blast! We did not camp, but rented a place to stay, which made everything more manageable when considering logistics of a first elk hunt. Yes, we had an hour drive one way to USFS land every day, but we slept great, ate good, and generally could focus all our daylight time on hunting elk, not the camp stuff. Opening day saw at least 12" of snow in places and -3 temps and I was lucky enough to score a bull. For our week of DIY novice elk hunters, we saw dozens of elk on USFS land, 6 of which were legal bulls. As the week wore on and we got used to the elevation, our legs, bodies, etc, got stronger, allowing us to push a little farther everyday.

The next time around we will probably truck camp, and possibly bivy, depending on the weather. I ran 8x42 Leupold Alpines which served me very well, and I also used uninsulated boots. I ran a liner and really good wool socks, and my feet never got cold. If your feet sweat on the hike in, just change your wool sock. What's the point of insulated boots if all it's doing is absorbing sweat.

Don't spend a ton on gear, if you can help it. One day it's freezing and the next I'm glassing a meadow with no shirt as it dries from sweating up during the hike it. So you just never know. Also consider a gun carry system, like the one from Kifaru. Way better than a shoulder sling and your gun is out of the way while hiking, but also ready for a quick grab.

Last edited:
You'll be guaranteed snow, so make sure your boots are waterproof (test them well in advance of the trip). Make sure you have an emergency kit to keep in your pack.

OP
omegadef

omegadef

FNG
Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm pretty much decided on the uninsulated boots. I will definitely get gaiters.

We are considering going with a thermarest zlite pad use for glassing and to put under the inflatable. Leaning to klymit insulated static v.

Anyone see any reason not to do this?

First, TP and chapstick. Second, I would not go with a slumber jack bag. I did that and that 0* rating might really be 40*. Worst week I have ever had in the mountains was with a slumber jack bag. There are a few thing I will skimp on and the sleep system is not one. Definitely an insulated pad.

I have never hunted 2nd rifle however I have done 3rd.

All of your gear looks good however somethings I will not leave home without on that type of trip:

Sunglasses, chap stick, baby wipes, and a dedicated fleece beanie kept in your sleeping bag. A good fleece beanie will keep you comfortable at night. Imo, you want to keep one in your bag so you dont lose it or have to sleep in a sweaty one.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

If you're in B.R., the Ascension Sheriff's Range (Gonzales, near Cabelas) has a 300 yard Range, and they allow the Public to use it. Keep that in mind if you want to confirm zero past 100 yards. I have done a lot of training there with my Dept. Beautiful Range facility.

Last edited:
OP
omegadef

omegadef

FNG
First, TP and chapstick. Second, I would not go with a slumber jack bag. I did that and that 0* rating might really be 40*. Worst week I have ever had in the mountains was with a slumber jack bag. There are a few thing I will skimp on and the sleep system is not one. Definitely an insulated pad.
This worries me. Do you remember which model? Anyone else have experience with slumberjack bags?

I really don't want the bag to be in question when I get out there. I thought the temperature rating tests were regulated by ISO.

Trunscav

FNG
Don’t forget onxhunt app for GPS, Garmin inreach for satellite communication/piece of mind, and some kinda first aid kit

OP
omegadef

omegadef

FNG
Don’t forget onxhunt app for GPS, Garmin inreach for satellite communication/piece of mind, and some kinda first aid kit
We will have an inreach between the two of us, I've already started scouting on the onX. First aid kit will be covered. Partner is a former EMT.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have already read this whole thread front to back multiple times.

I updated the main post with the latest changes.
I will be upgrading the bag, lost sleep over this last night. Not worth it to me to have it be in question. Thinking outdoor vitals. https://outdoorvitals.com/collectio...ls-atlas-hybrid-0-degree-lofttek-sleeping-bag

I managed to get Crispi summit boots and browning hells canyon backcountry vest off of camofire sales.
I am perfectly okay with having blue boots in order to save $100. Every day of the week.

I've started to build a lighterpack page, but I'm missing some stuff and weights.
I starred the items I still need to purchase.

I don’t remember the model but I think the OV bag is a better decision. Don’t skimp on the pad either. You have time to find some and try them, they are not all made equally.

fmyth

WKR
We're not staying in the same tent. We also didn't want to incur that extra cost or carry the extra weight.
Too many people are successful without the stove.
If it snows like it did this year 2nd season you'll end up with wet gear/cloths/boots and will have no way to dry it out. We had a canvas wall tent with a wood stove for the 4 of us and a Kodiak canvas tent with a buddy heater running 24/7 to dry out our clothes and gear. We still had wet stuff hanging everywhere.

fmyth

WKR
Don't forget a spare pair of waterproof boots, gaitors, tire chains and a good snow shovel.

Sleeping bags are mind numbing. Try and find one with good EN tested ratings. For example: the marmot never summer is factory rated to 0*. The EN rating (when I bought it) was 5*. Meaning an average man should stay comfortable to 5*. You will be surprised at what bags actually do as compared to the rating. As far as marmot goes, they make proven gear but there are tons of good bags. I have since switched to a quilt. The rifle seasons can get down right brutal and you absolutely don’t want sub par gear.

Last edited:
My thoughts on stove was last year in Montana it was record book cold. Like negative 12 in October. We were so cold it would’ve crushed our spirit ya without a warm bed each night.

Marble

WKR
We've used threeslumberjack 0 degree bags for 15 years and they are still going strong. Been down into the teens.

Bring a second set of boots.

Have an extra base layer, pant, shirt, jacket, beenie, beanie, basically an extra set of what you will wear. Or at least something to hunt in if you get soaked.

You will have a blast, but you will figure out there is gear you do not need and gear u do.

Sleeping bags are mind numbing. Try and find one with good EN tested ratings. For example: the marmot never summer is factory rated to 0*. The EN rating (when I bought it) was 5*. Meaning an average man should stay comfortable to 5*. You will be surprised at what bags actually do as compared to the rating. As far as marmot goes, they make proven gear but there are tons of good bags. I have since switched to a quilt. The rifle seasons can get down right brutal and you absolutely don’t want sub par gear.

You have to pay attention to the EN ratings. Some folks publish survival ratings or lower limit ratings and some folks publish comfort ratings. They are not the same.