Co 3rd season fun

Jacobo2012

Lil-Rokslider
Took my first buck with a rifle and my second buck ever! Got up as high as we could opening morning to a meadow below the top of a mountain. I spotted two does out feeding chasing each other around. Then two more does and then two bucks! A descent 3x3 and this great 4x4! We get up to the tree Line and the buck is about 500 yards away! I try to sneak across the meadow that had lots of little valleys in it. I get to another little treee line and range him again at 400. The does start going up some steep nasty stuff and around a bend and he starts to folllow. I rush to get my bipod set up, kneel down and rush to find him in the crosshairs. I figure he’s about 420-430 because he’s following the does around the Bend. The last doe goes around the bend and he stops for a second and I think to myself if I don’t shoot now I may never see this buck again so I squeeze the trigger and thwack! He rolls about 30 yards down the steep mountain he got up I send two more follow up shots. Couldn’t tell if I hit or not. I get across the valleys in the meadow where I last saw him and see a doe come back and look right where the buck is in some oak brush. I hurry up and finish him off as he was hurt bad! I got to about 50 yds and got it done ASAP
I am so excited about this guy! I set the bar pretty high
888bb58b3dbb54622597924c2fdfc1f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent work and congratulations on a great buck! If you do quarter your buck, I'd suggest putting your tag on the hindquarter with evidence of sex. I've had a few game wardens give folks a hard time about tags on antlers stating "It's a carcass tag, not an antler tag!" Even when the head is with the carcass.

From the regs: "▶ The carcass tag should be attached to the carcass (not to detached hides, horns or antlers carried separately) immediately prior to and during transportation in any vehicle, or while in camp or at a residence or other place of storage. Tags must stay on until meat is processed and remain with meat until consume."

I'm not trying to pick on you, just to help educate the readers.

From the regs: "▶ The carcass tag should be attached to the carcass (not to detached hides, horns or antlers carried separately) immediately prior to and during transportation in any vehicle, or while in camp or at a residence or other place of storage. Tags must stay on until meat is processed and remain with meat until consume."

Good advice.

I put my tag on my horns too. A resident saw it and corrected me. I moved it to the rear quarter before heading to town. I would like to think that a warden would cut a first time hunter or NR a break but you never know.

OP
Jacobo2012

Jacobo2012

Lil-Rokslider
Excellent work and congratulations on a great buck! If you do quarter your buck, I'd suggest putting your tag on the hindquarter with evidence of sex. I've had a few game wardens give folks a hard time about tags on antlers stating "It's a carcass tag, not an antler tag!" Even when the head is with the carcass.

From the regs: " The carcass tag should be attached to the carcass (not to detached hides, horns or antlers carried separately) immediately prior to and during transportation in any vehicle, or while in camp or at a residence or other place of storage. Tags must stay on until meat is processed and remain with meat until consume."

No worries I do appreciate it! Looks like I should look into regs a little better when I draw an out of state tag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk