CO 49 Elk

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm heading to CO this Aug for a quick scouting trip to get eyes on the country. I don't have a tag for this fall (didn't even apply), but fully expect to have one next year. I've never been in that area and hoping to get some general guidance on the area. I have been in contact with the Huntin' Fool guys, but nobody in the office had first-hand knowledge of the unit. I've been in contact with an outfitter in the area, and he was some help but obviously reluctant to share too much. I've spoken with the wildlife officer in the area and he gave me the standard general information.

Specifically for my trip this Aug I'm wondering if we need to haul ATVs out there. I'm trying to decide if the hunt will need to commit to the Wilderness area or be more mobile in some of the surrounding NF. I have some pretty good ideas of where to focus my time, so really just looking to see if I'm on the right track. Any help on road conditions, access areas, popular/crowded areas, etc would be very much appreciated. Feel free to shoot me a pm if you're so inclined. Thanks in advance.

OP
M

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry guys, my inbox has now been thinned out.
And we're still talking archery, last week

49 sucks. I'd use my points elsewhere. :)

That said, we should draw it next year as well. I can't really speak much about it as I have never hunted it but we hunt 45, 48, and 55 a bit. All I know is it doesn't look as high as where we hunt.

Some guys we know have hunted it, and one friend shot a 4 x 4 in the northern end. he had already passed him the day before and was holding out. Guess he got tired as it was only day 2 or 3 of his hunt.

We don't do atv's so I can't help you there. Good luck. BTW..we typically hunt last week as well.

oldgoat

WKR
If you get out scouting and are a fan of the TV series Goldrush, keep your eye out for the Hoffman's, think they are mining in that area again!

If you get out scouting and are a fan of the TV series Goldrush, keep your eye out for the Hoffman's, think they are mining in that area again!

I forgot about that. DOn't know exactly where, but they are in that general area. I was trying to look for references last year but not much luck.

Oh and to edit my above post, my brother set me straight, the 4 x 4 was a smaller 6 x 6. 260's. I guess I don't remember quite as well as I used to.

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider
ATVs aren't a necessity for the unit, there are some good roads that provide access....then of course hiking some vertical terrain. I'd expect to see some people most places you go, some will be hunters and plenty of hikers/bikers too.