CO 76 cell service

Medic727

FNG
Does anyone know if you can get cell service in Colorado unit 76 if you are up on a mountain peak? Im headed there in Sept for an elk hunt and need to keep in contact with the mrs. Im hoping to avoid a sat phone rental. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

I hunt 78/81 (banded peak area), Colorado side and there is NO Service until you get to Hwy 17 on County Rd 445 which is the road to Del Oso Pardo (New Mexico). We always have to wait to get to that point before calling to let anyone know we are headed out. That is about 4 miles North of Chama on Hwy 17.
If communicating with Family is a priority, the Sat phone would be the reliable way to go.
Looks like the units I hunt are SouthEast of your Unit. Out top elevation is about 11500, but still can't get a signal on our cell up there.
Maybe someone who actually hunts your Unit can give you better info.

Last edited:
Regardless of what anyone says, doubt you want to be tied to a specific place just because you can get cell signal. I think you hav to bite the bullet. Or get one of the units that allows you to send text messages or send out a distress call via satellite. Can’t remember what those are called.

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
The times I have hunted 76 I have had excellent reception. There is a cell tower on Bristol Head. Depends on where you will be but if your close to that you should be good. It's a big unit though so it will definitely depend where your at

OP
M

Medic727

FNG
The times I have hunted 76 I have had excellent reception. There is a cell tower on Bristol Head. Depends on where you will be but if your close to that you should be good. It's a big unit though so it will definitely depend where your at
Thats good to know! Thanks for the info

LandYacht

WKR
I hunted it last year and you will have good enough cell service to check in once a day if that is your objective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I like to hunt the places with no cell signal. Less people. Less distraction.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I don't know, I kinda like it when my wife distracts me...know what I'm saying?
That's why you buy an InReach. Not tied in to looking for cell signal... know what I'm saying?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

dacd4134

Lil-Rokslider
when hunting 77 i met a guy that said he had service on the divide between 76 and 77.
Yeah, but how (and where, exactly) were the elk in there? ;)

Sorry, I just read this thread and felt compelled to ask:

rayporter

WKR
the inreach has been a pretty good investment and piece of mind when out. i got the cheap plan and leave it on year round. it goes with me just about everywhere.