CO 76 Elk and Beers

ndforbes

I'm excited to see that I drew a 76 archery tag this year. Still figuring out all of my dates, but let me know if any of you are going to be down there. Maybe we could share a beer and some backstraps if the elk gods smile on us.

This is my first archery hunt down there. I have hunted the unit in rifle season a couple times, so excited to get out and do some scouting this summer. I haven't been down there in three years so, if anyone has any info regarding fire damage the last few years, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Still Hunter

Beetle damage DWARFS any fire damage. Literally brings tears to my eyes. Been going to Lake City through South Fork to Creede to Lake City since 2009 and it is like driving through a bombed out city . All my kids and the wife were literally speechless for miles and miles of once Majestic Pine Mountain sides that now look like dead brown match sticks waiting for a fire. We were simply in shock. Damn Beetles!

MNTC

From afar it looks terrible in some spots. But there is hope under all that grey dead timber. Still one of my favorite places to go in CO for how pretty it is (along with the other 4 million campers and ATVs and dirtbikers there all summer long) but hunting it is not easy. You got to get in it and after it as the whole unit feels like 12,000 feet. Get in shape, go scout, and have fun. Its Huge country, enjoy it!

Attachments

• 20200807_145742.jpg
    20200807_145742.jpg
    532.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 20200711_161415.jpg
    20200711_161415.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 20200711_105504.jpg
    20200711_105504.jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 82
OP
ndforbes

ndforbes

Beetle damage DWARFS any fire damage. Literally brings tears to my eyes. Been going to Lake City through South Fork to Creede to Lake City since 2009 and it is like driving through a bombed out city . All my kids and the wife were literally speechless for miles and miles of once Majestic Pine Mountain sides that now look like dead brown match sticks waiting for a fire. We were simply in shock. Damn Beetles!
Yes, those damn beetles have really done a number on a lot of our state. Some of my favorite mountain bike trails in the Winter Park area are almost unrecognizable these days. I just hope that they don't wipe out every pine tree in the state in the next 10 years.

OP
ndforbes

ndforbes

From afar it looks terrible in some spots. But there is hope under all that grey dead timber. Still one of my favorite places to go in CO for how pretty it is (along with the other 4 million campers and ATVs and dirtbikers there all summer long) but hunting it is not easy. You got to get in it and after it as the whole unit feels like 12,000 feet. Get in shape, go scout, and have fun. Its Huge country, enjoy it!
I totally agree. I love that area. I'll be in shape. I love hunting the high country. I backcountry ski all winter, mountain bike, run, and do crossfit. By the time September gets here I'll be as prepared as I can be. Still tough, and I'm not 18 anymore (44 years old) but the legs will be ready to cover some miles.

OP
ndforbes

ndforbes

I think out of state applicants do need something like 13, but I'd have to check the draw numbers, so don't quote me on that one.

Ry15u

Hey @ndforbes we'll be up there first season but have plenty of scouting trips lined up. Would love to stay in touch and compare notes as it gets closer to the fall

Phaseolus

Make that, “majestic spruce mountain sides”. Dendroctonus rufipennis is killing the stands of Engelmann and blue spruce.

Still Hunter

I am headed to the area for a week. I will never draw it, but it is beautiful country. I will go check out some "Hot Spots" I found a few years back. The Spruces were literally torn up everywhere. If there is a lot of elk sign I will PM you OP.

OP
ndforbes

ndforbes

Hey @ndforbes we'll be up there first season but have plenty of scouting trips lined up. Would love to stay in touch and compare notes as it gets closer to the fall
Sounds great. I probably won't do my first scouting trip until next month, but let's chat after that.