CO 76 Elk and Beers

ndforbes

FNG
I'm excited to see that I drew a 76 archery tag this year. Still figuring out all of my dates, but let me know if any of you are going to be down there. Maybe we could share a beer and some backstraps if the elk gods smile on us.

This is my first archery hunt down there. I have hunted the unit in rifle season a couple times, so excited to get out and do some scouting this summer. I haven't been down there in three years so, if anyone has any info regarding fire damage the last few years, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Beetle damage DWARFS any fire damage. Literally brings tears to my eyes. Been going to Lake City through South Fork to Creede to Lake City since 2009 and it is like driving through a bombed out city . All my kids and the wife were literally speechless for miles and miles of once Majestic Pine Mountain sides that now look like dead brown match sticks waiting for a fire. We were simply in shock. Damn Beetles!

Jwknutson17

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
From afar it looks terrible in some spots. But there is hope under all that grey dead timber. Still one of my favorite places to go in CO for how pretty it is (along with the other 4 million campers and ATVs and dirtbikers there all summer long) but hunting it is not easy. You got to get in it and after it as the whole unit feels like 12,000 feet. Get in shape, go scout, and have fun. Its Huge country, enjoy it!

Attachments

• 20200807_145742.jpg
    20200807_145742.jpg
    532.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 20200711_161415.jpg
    20200711_161415.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 20200711_105504.jpg
    20200711_105504.jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 101
OP
ndforbes

ndforbes

FNG
Beetle damage DWARFS any fire damage. Literally brings tears to my eyes. Been going to Lake City through South Fork to Creede to Lake City since 2009 and it is like driving through a bombed out city . All my kids and the wife were literally speechless for miles and miles of once Majestic Pine Mountain sides that now look like dead brown match sticks waiting for a fire. We were simply in shock. Damn Beetles!
Yes, those damn beetles have really done a number on a lot of our state. Some of my favorite mountain bike trails in the Winter Park area are almost unrecognizable these days. I just hope that they don't wipe out every pine tree in the state in the next 10 years.

OP
ndforbes

ndforbes

FNG
From afar it looks terrible in some spots. But there is hope under all that grey dead timber. Still one of my favorite places to go in CO for how pretty it is (along with the other 4 million campers and ATVs and dirtbikers there all summer long) but hunting it is not easy. You got to get in it and after it as the whole unit feels like 12,000 feet. Get in shape, go scout, and have fun. Its Huge country, enjoy it!
I totally agree. I love that area. I'll be in shape. I love hunting the high country. I backcountry ski all winter, mountain bike, run, and do crossfit. By the time September gets here I'll be as prepared as I can be. Still tough, and I'm not 18 anymore (44 years old) but the legs will be ready to cover some miles.

OP
ndforbes

ndforbes

FNG
I think out of state applicants do need something like 13, but I'd have to check the draw numbers, so don't quote me on that one.

Ry15u

FNG
Hey @ndforbes we'll be up there first season but have plenty of scouting trips lined up. Would love to stay in touch and compare notes as it gets closer to the fall

Phaseolus

WKR
Make that, “majestic spruce mountain sides”. Dendroctonus rufipennis is killing the stands of Engelmann and blue spruce.

I am headed to the area for a week. I will never draw it, but it is beautiful country. I will go check out some "Hot Spots" I found a few years back. The Spruces were literally torn up everywhere. If there is a lot of elk sign I will PM you OP.

OP
ndforbes

ndforbes

FNG
Hey @ndforbes we'll be up there first season but have plenty of scouting trips lined up. Would love to stay in touch and compare notes as it gets closer to the fall
Sounds great. I probably won't do my first scouting trip until next month, but let's chat after that.

Hi, I have been lurking on the forum for ages (since 2013), but am not one to gossip about my units, and am generally just doing research. I am a Colorado native, who has been hunting assorted Gunnison Basin units for 20+ years, with a number of archery, muzzleloader and rifle elk under my belt. I generally hunt 2nd and 3rd choice draw or OTC archery. I have 9 points this year, and have a chance of drawing a 7 6 Muzzleloader tag this year. (I hope...). I have 4-5 potential areas that I am e-scouting right now, but with 2 little kids, the chance of more than 1 good scouting trip this summer is going to be tough. I am going to head up 2-3 days before season to locate some herds in whatever area I decide on. I am going to be solo backpacking (mobile camp, hunt off my back) with possibly a friend calling for me depending on his draw results... I am planning on ridge running above tree-line to glass drainages and bottom land. Wilderness only to avoid the ATVs. Plenty of meat in the freezer, so I'm hoping to put a 310-320ish bull down, willing to glass a lot of animals before I put one down. I am not afraid of pulling one out from in deep, hiked out my buddies first bull from 9 miles back and 5000' above the trucks last year. I am just looking for general feedback from people who have hunted/ scouted this unit (areas to avoid, areas used by outfitter camps, feedback on the areas I'm looking at, areas that others might be willing to share some beta on). I can trade info on various Gunnison basin units, but won't post them in a thread. Please PM me so we can chat if anyone can help out. Thanks!

Jwknutson17

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
9 should get it for archery this year... I burned 10 on it in 2020 when it was 8 to guarantee it. Just keeps on going up. If it keeps it pace, a lot of guys will never catch it.

Yah, I'm aware the odds are slim to none at 9 (Looks like about 25% if only the people who put in last year with 9 that didn't get it go in again, but I doubt that would be the case), been saving for it for awhile. Figured I should start trying to draw it, at least. But point creep freaks me out a little, so I'm going back and forth on switching it to archery or 1st rifle... Feel a bit more confident for a high point hunt going with my ML, but I'm at least even with it on archery points that if it gets away from me I can drop back in a year or two and hopefully get an archery tag for it. I did put in for a ML deer tag this year that I should have 50/50 odds of getting to hopefully put me in the unit for a season if I can't get an elk tag yet.

Last edited: